RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake override system failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-17, 12:59 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,554 Likes on 676 Posts
Default Brake override system failure

Hey guys, anyone had this show up on their dash before? It showed up this morning just as I was pulling in to park at work. I doubt that it's the wiring down by the rear control arms like some others have experienced after lowering. Won't have a chance to look at it until later after work. Just wanted to know if anyone has an idea or has had it happened on their F. Thanks!
Old 06-17-17, 01:16 PM
Sparker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had this on multiple occasions. Your car is going to go into limp mode so be careful when driving as you'll lose power. Try to run the code and see what it is. If you can get to dealer that would be ideal as they need to scan with their tools and get approval for work. Mine ended up being faulty throttle body assembly, which was replaced under warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sparker:
Dennis1123 (07-13-17), JT2MA71 (06-17-17)
Old 06-17-17, 01:35 PM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by Sparker
I've had this on multiple occasions. Your car is going to go into limp mode so be careful when driving as you'll lose power. Try to run the code and see what it is. If you can get to dealer that would be ideal as they need to scan with their tools and get approval for work. Mine ended up being faulty throttle body assembly, which was replaced under warranty.
Thanks for your input! Yes, I will limp it home and check what I can at home. Called the dealer and they said being that it had just past 5K miles, might be just due for service, I doubt it's as simple as that. I'll scan for codes and clear what's there, and drive around the neighborhood. Dealer appointment is set for next week.
Old 06-17-17, 03:00 PM
JT2MA71

Well, got home and I disconnected the apex throttle controller and warning light and check engine light are both gone. Connected the carista unit and retrieved the code, P2121. Cleared it and will drive later to see if it's completely gone. Right now, it looks like the throttle controller is the issue.
Old 06-17-17, 05:59 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mechanical mods are fine but once you mess with the electronics all bets are off. Stop messing with aftermarket junk over Toyota tried and true.
Old 06-17-17, 08:02 PM
Sparker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep in mind the Lexus tech will physically need the code/light active when diagnosing with their equipment. My throttle position sensor was faulty but it comes as an entire unit so the full assembly was replaced. FYI I do not have the apexi controller but they may try to use it against you to get $ out of pocket. In my experience it'll likely come back on especially if it's warm and your doing some spirited driving and limp mode is not fun.
Old 06-18-17, 04:51 AM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by Sparker
Keep in mind the Lexus tech will physically need the code/light active when diagnosing with their equipment. My throttle position sensor was faulty but it comes as an entire unit so the full assembly was replaced. FYI I do not have the apexi controller but they may try to use it against you to get $ out of pocket. In my experience it'll likely come back on especially if it's warm and your doing some spirited driving and limp mode is not fun.
I will only take it in if the error code comes back, for now, appointment is cancelled. And the throttle controller is coming off before they see it. We'll see! I really like what the T controller does so I may look into the Tom's one next, not getting another apexi.
Old 06-18-17, 11:57 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

if it is the apexi throttle controller, thanks for saving me a couple of hundred dollars. i was going to get one again for the rc-f but may look into the toms as well.
Old 06-18-17, 12:08 PM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
if it is the apexi throttle controller, thanks for saving me a couple of hundred dollars. i was going to get one again for the rc-f but may look into the toms as well.
Actually, 16GSF00336 had a good suggestion, why not just get the RR racing tune, it also improves throttle response. Might not be a bad idea, considering the Tom's is I think in the 500 dollar range.
Old 06-19-17, 07:32 AM
Suburbazin
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
The Apexi controller has been working fine in my car for 2 weeks now. I have yet to experience an issue and I use it in almost every mode besides Yellow/White.
Old 06-19-17, 10:44 AM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by Suburbazin
The Apexi controller has been working fine in my car for 2 weeks now. I have yet to experience an issue and I use it in almost every mode besides Yellow/White.
Been on mine for over a year. No issues until this past weekend. I drove the car without it in the equation and the error hasn't popped up again. I will hook it back up and see if it does it again. Then, I can really say whether or not it's the issue.
Old 06-19-17, 01:14 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

check you connections on the throttle controller. Something might be loose. Then you know if its the Apexi device. You can always remove it. As someone who has had the Apexi since day one ( it was a much in my '14-350 Fsport ), I only really use it to be a boost off the line when red-light racing. Or go into yellow on the highway / sometimes purple. The controller with the tune ( I am full bolt on with headers ) makes the power delivery to the car unbearable.
The following users liked this post:
JT2MA71 (06-20-17)
Old 06-20-17, 07:57 AM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by JB5674
check you connections on the throttle controller. Something might be loose. Then you know if its the Apexi device. You can always remove it. As someone who has had the Apexi since day one ( it was a much in my '14-350 Fsport ), I only really use it to be a boost off the line when red-light racing. Or go into yellow on the highway / sometimes purple. The controller with the tune ( I am full bolt on with headers ) makes the power delivery to the car unbearable.
Yeah, connections were good. All were secured properly, one I'm **** about
Good to know! It's on the second day without it hooked up and it was pretty warm yesterday and car was driven around as aggressive as it can be without getting into trouble. No issues. I will hook the controller back up later today and do the same thing.
Old 06-21-17, 07:37 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Ron,
you hook it back up? Any codes or messages? Just curious.
I have the apexi TC on my car too but hardly ever use it.
Red mode makes the throttle so touchy...
Old 06-22-17, 03:27 AM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by Mingofish
Ron,
you hook it back up? Any codes or messages? Just curious.
I have the apexi TC on my car too but hardly ever use it.
Red mode makes the throttle so touchy...
Yes, it's hooked back up and NO codes, will drive more today.

Quick Reply: Brake override system failure