Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Subaru WRX STI Type RA revealed with more power, less weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-17, 08:07 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2018 Subaru WRX STI Type RA revealed with more power, less weight

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...er-less-weight

Subaru is finally getting serious about Subaru Tecnica International (STI) in the United States. For years the official tuner of Subaru cars has been neglected here, with most of its coolest stuff sold in Japan only. But that’s starting to change.

How do we know? Because a WRX STI Type RA has just been confirmed for 2018.

The RA designation stands for Record Attempt and has been applied to various Subaru performance models, none of which were ever sold here. The first time was in 1989 when a race-prepped Subaru Legacy broke the FIA World Speed Endurance Record by clocking over 62,000 miles in 18 days with an average top speed of 138 mph.

Continuing this tradition, Subaru plans to take a more hardcore version of the WRX STI Type RA, the NBR Special, to the Nürburgring this summer. The aim is to set a record for a sedan at the ‘Ring, though it won’t be a production car record as the WRX STI Type RA NBR Special isn’t production-bound.

As for the WRX STI Type RA we’ll actually see in showrooms, the car benefits from a slight bump in power to 310 horsepower from the familiar 2.5-liter turbocharged flat-4 engine. That’s up 5 hp on the standard WRX STI, all courtesy of stronger pistons, a new cold air intake, a high-flow exhaust and a reprogrammed ECU. STI’s engineers also revised the 6-speed manual’s third gear ratio and added a short throw shifter.

Weight has been reduced thanks to a new carbon fiber roof (in place of the usual steel unit), as well as lightweight 19-inch wheels from BBS and the removal of the spare tire. The stock tires are a set of Yokohama Advan Sports.

Other performance upgrades include a front splitter, inverted front struts and rear double wishbone suspension all with Bilstein dampers, Brembo brakes with cross-drilled rotors, and a retuned VDC stability control system. The final touch is a carbon fiber rear wing.

Inside the vehicle, you’ll find Recaro seats up front with red bolsters as well as an embossed STI logo on the head restraints. Contrast stitching is used throughout and the steering wheel is wrapped in Ultrasuede for better grip and has a black gloss-finish center spoke insert with an STI logo.

Some readers will recall that Subaru offered a WRX STI tS Type RA in Japan in 2013 based on the previous-generation WRX STI. It marked the final evolution of the previous-generation WRX line as the redesigned model was introduced the following year.

Subaru has already introduced a new Impreza, so don’t be surprised if the 2018 WRX STI Type RA ends up being the final evolution of the current WRX line.

The WRX STI Type RA goes on sale in the first quarter of 2018. It will be available in WR Blue Pearl, Crystal Black Silica and Crystal White Pearl, and just 500 examples will be offered. Pricing information will be announced closer to the market launch.

Subaru has also announced a BRZ tS for 2018. It will join the WRX STI Type RA in showrooms early next year and will also be limited to 500 units.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-22-17 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-22-17, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Subaru is finally getting serious about Subaru Tecnica International (STI) in the United States.
I don't buy that line. If Subaru were serious about American-market STIs, we would have gotten the Japanese-market Forester STI....in fact, we never did.
Old 06-22-17, 10:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

As for the WRX STI Type RA we’ll actually see in showrooms, the car benefits from a slight bump in power to 310 horsepower from the familiar 2.5-liter turbocharged flat-4 engine. That’s up 5 hp on the standard WRX STI, all courtesy of stronger pistons, a new cold air intake, a high-flow exhaust and a reprogrammed ECU. STI’s engineers also revised the 6-speed manual’s third gear ratio and added a short throw shifter.

^ They did all that and only got a 5hp bump???? 310hp was a lot, back in you know, 1999. The WRX has kind of become a joke IMO, at least in this generation. Yeah, 310hp, that's 10 more than what we were offering 15 years ago. Plus the current car looks like a damn Camry, the WRX never was beautiful, but hey it did have character back in the day with the flared fenders, big goofy headlights and big huge fog lights that looked like they were lifted off a rally car.
Old 06-22-17, 10:46 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh my, 5hp increase!!!! In a specially limited final production STI...
Old 06-23-17, 02:44 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

ECU tune by itself on the STi will typically get 50 hp....
Old 06-23-17, 03:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

They probably did not bump the torque (or unable to). Agreed nowadays $499 usually gets a car 50hp and 80 ft lbs (unless there's none left)...
Old 06-23-17, 05:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Well, the good news is it has "stronger pistons" so maybe it can be safely tuned higher than the usual STi??
Old 06-23-17, 05:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I pray that 5hp increase is severely underrated.
Old 06-23-17, 12:34 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't buy that line. If Subaru were serious about American-market STIs, we would have gotten the Japanese-market Forester STI....in fact, we never did.
That's a hard sell, even in a crossover friendly market. The Forester is popular because of it's value for the dollar, and this is coming from a 2 time and current Forester owner and fan. I believe the non-turbos outsold the turbos steadily and although it would be a nice option, it will be a stretch for Subaru.

Since this marks the end of the current WRX, and the new Impreza has been shown off as a hatch, I hope this marks the return of the WRX to the hatch form.

Last edited by ragingf80; 06-23-17 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 03:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Since this marks the end of the current WRX, and the new Impreza has been shown off as a hatch, I hope this marks the return of the WRX to the hatch form.
+1, looking forward to a new hatch!
Old 06-23-17, 09:49 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
They probably did not bump the torque (or unable to). Agreed nowadays $499 usually gets a car 50hp and 80 ft lbs (unless there's none left)...
That needs an asterisk on that statement.

* Applies only to turbocharged cars, where the boost is upped to get that type of increase. No way are you getting a 50hp increase on a naturally aspirated car just by tweaking the ECU.
Which is really the frustrating part about this new limited edition STi. I mean come on, if the aftermarket can find an easy 50hp in just the tune, you as an OEM are dragging your feet. Especially on something like the STi, which could easily handle the extra power.
Old 06-23-17, 10:13 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That needs an asterisk on that statement.

* Applies only to turbocharged cars, where the boost is upped to get that type of increase. No way are you getting a 50hp increase on a naturally aspirated car just by tweaking the ECU.
Which is really the frustrating part about this new limited edition STi. I mean come on, if the aftermarket can find an easy 50hp in just the tune, you as an OEM are dragging your feet. Especially on something like the STi, which could easily handle the extra power.
Chips decrease the longevity of the engine and turbos. Their residuals would take a hit if they allowed that type of boost, compression etc.
Old 06-26-17, 10:38 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

This is basically exactly the same as my 2015 Series.Blue BRZ of which there were also 500 made in blue color.
Really just STI aero parts, STI wheels and unique interior.
This tS does give you Brembo brakes.

This new model gives me zero interest to trade my car in.
They should of at least put on exhaust or some type of power upgrade even if its 10-20hp!!!!!!

Waiting for new Supra as potential upgrade but not too optimistic based on what i see so far.
Old 06-26-17, 11:26 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

5hp max.. but probably more power in the usable mid-range power..