Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Loses Its Luster in J.D. Power Quality Study

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 05:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The car has actually been lowered.
I have to go now, but when i have some time, I'll find the video for you.
Don't pass judgement until you've driven the car is my point.

And with the decline of sedans, people who want height buy crossovers. Lowering the seating position makes the car more dynamic to drive, if people who want utility are buying crossovers already I say being on the sedans with less compromises for the rest of us
Old 07-02-17, 05:39 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

That's the new TMC President Akio Toyoda's "input" that you're talking about.
Presently, he is heading TMC's Electric Vehicles Division.

I like the spindle grill, but I'm not too keen on the uncoordinated body shapes.
I'm also not a fan of his idea to give TMC inspired styling and inspired driving dynamics [sporty] to match the great heritage of European marques like Maserati etc.
Because these famous marques like Maserati etc went broke, and are now owned by bread and butter Fiat etc.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
For the base models, just stick to comfortable cars.
Have an F Sport suspension option available.
For even greater sports performance, aftermarket coilovers and after market wheels/tires are always available.
However, it is very difficult if not impossible to make a standard sporty OEM vehicle comfortable in the aftermarket world.

Forthcoming Camry is low, such that it is rather difficult & tricky to make this vehicle taller in the aftermarket, without compromizing on safety.
I would have preferred if Toyota stuck to the traditional route for a tall Camry, and this gives slightly easier entry/exit, greater visibility, greater ground clearance, and greater suspension travel too, and this allow sports enthusiasts to go aftermarket to lower their cars.
Why try to cannibalize the aftermarket sports suspension industry?

_
Originally Posted by SW15LS
When you haven't entered or exited a Camry yet, how can you say it's too low? Lol
I said it was low, but I didn't say it was too low.
The forthcoming Camry is about 1.0" lower overall, with the front hip point lower by 0.8" and the rear hip point lower by 1.2".

The lower the hip point, the more difficult the entry and egress.
Too high a hip point like a Toyota Landcruiser etc, and it's difficult to enter and exit too.

https://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2018-camry/
Old 07-02-17, 06:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You do realize how small .8 of an inch is right?
Old 07-02-17, 06:52 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Forthcoming Camry is low, such that it is rather difficult & tricky to make this vehicle taller in the aftermarket, without compromizing on safety.
I would have preferred if Toyota stuck to the traditional route for a tall Camry, and this gives slightly easier entry/exit, greater visibility, greater ground clearance, and greater suspension travel too, and this allow sports enthusiasts to go aftermarket to lower their cars.
Why try to cannibalize the aftermarket sports suspension industry?

_
The car has actually been lowered.
I have to go now, but when i have some time, I'll find the video for you.
I said it was low, but I didn't say it was too low.
The forthcoming Camry is about 1.0" lower overall, with the front hip point lower by 0.8" and the rear hip point lower by 1.2".

The lower the hip point, the more difficult the entry and egress.
Too high a hip point like a Toyota Landcruiser etc, and it's difficult to enter and exit too.

https://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2018-camry/
Yes, the Camry is lower, with a lower hip point and lower cowl, for better visibility. What you did not consider is that Toyota had raised the Camry (and the hip point), starting with the 2002 model year, 5th-generation model, so much so that the car felt tippy, as though it were constantly on its tiptoes; the difference in height between the 4th- and 5th-generation models was about 2-inches. And then the 6th-generation model raised the beltline (for less glass area, as was the fashion at the time) so that despite the greater height compared to the 4th-generation model, visibility out was terrible.

I don't think that 1-inch lower height is going to affect entry and exit. In fact, it may still be higher than the 3rd- and 4th-generation models.
Old 07-02-17, 07:53 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Yes, the Camry is lower, with a lower hip point and lower cowl, for better visibility. What you did not consider is that Toyota had raised the Camry (and the hip point), starting with the 2002 model year, 5th-generation model, so much so that the car felt tippy, as though it were constantly on its tiptoes; the difference in height between the 4th- and 5th-generation models was about 2-inches. And then the 6th-generation model raised the beltline (for less glass area, as was the fashion at the time) so that despite the greater height compared to the 4th-generation model, visibility out was terrible.

I don't think that 1-inch lower height is going to affect entry and exit. In fact, it may still be higher than the 3rd- and 4th-generation models.
Yes, since the original Camry back in 1982-86, Camries have been getting taller and taller, and bigger and bigger, year after year.
They've grown around about 4" over the fast few decades.
This is the very first Camry to be lower.
1" isn't going to set the world on fire.
Sort of like my old 2005-12 Lexus 3GS becoming lower and swoopier, while 2012-19 4GS becomes upright and square again...

Old 07-03-17, 06:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
No surprises there. Lexus lost the plot when they started going off the rails with the spindle grill and uncoordinated body shapes.

Each generation the interior build quality has been going backwards.

Disappointing as I have 2 in my garage and owned many in the past.
Interesting as I have a 2006 LS430 and supposedly the quality is good or very good? But there is something wrong with entering exiting the car--one's body rubs a certain way, and it's not just me, it's the previous owners. The fabric along the b pillar is worn, as is the seat, where it seems one's left side rubs upon getting in. I've learned to dodge it.....overall the quality seems above avg only dated.....

p.s. it is what it is, if BMW or Audi were as reliable or affordable to maintain, Lexus would have a hard time selling cars. based on what I've seen at dealerships (2X), the crowd is of a higher median age

whether or not it's the case, it's known to be at the top of the reliability list...(this may not be true today)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-03-17 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-04-17, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You do realize how small .8 of an inch is right?
that's what she said.

(couldn't resist )
Old 07-04-17, 11:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's what she said.

(couldn't resist )
I see what you did there