Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17 | 08:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riknchar
I had the chance to test drive a Genesis G90 on Tuesday, and I have to agree with Steve that this car has really put the bulls-eye on the Lexus LS and has bested Lexus in many categories. I won't repeat everything Steve has already pointed out regarding the G90, but I pretty much agree with his assessment that this car is likely to become a serious player in the Luxury car field.
de.
All good points what you said. But, matching or beating the LS460 is not much of feat. The LS really is 11 years old and has been on the road since late 05 or early 06. Beating out all of the full size competition and maybe going bold and offering full electric or a Lexus prestige beating V12 would be a big feat.

Now, can Genesis make a vehicle like the upcoming LS500. Will Genesis charge more for the next Genesis.

Curious to know. What are the 0-60 figures of the G90 compared to the LS460? MPG? Resale?

The new LS500 has some pretty decent performance numbers. Can the current Genesis even come close?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-05-17 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-05-17 | 12:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
All good points what you said. But, matching or beating the LS460 is not much of feat. The LS really is 11 years old and has been on the road since late 05 or early 06.
The LS460 has not been out since late 2005, the 2006 LS430 came out in late 2005. The LS460 debuted in mid 2006 as a 2007 model. The car has undergone multiple substantial refreshes over the years despite being the same basic platform, and the latest iteration of it drives differently than early versions in several ways.

It really depends on what you want. Ive driven everything in this segment repeatedly, and fairly recently too. Just a couple months ago I drove the S550 and a 740 and the G90. If you want the best riding car you can buy, the LS460 still really holds up. Used to be that the LS really was in its own category in the segment when it came to a smooth isolated ride, the 7 was firmer, the S was firmer but still on the nice ride spectrum, but nowadays they're all very similar. When you get out of a new S550 or 740 and get back into the LS460 its surprisingly similar riding. Thats also my SWB coil spring LS460, when compared to an air sprung LWB LS460L which is really more comparable to modern flagship cars it would be even moreso. If you want a really nice riding car, its hard to do better than the LS460 even as old as it is.

Where more modern cars excel is in creating a dynamic driving experience without sacrificing ride, this the new sedans do much better than the LS460.

Performance numbers really don't matter to somebody like me, my question is "will the LS500 ride as well as my LS460?", looking at what Lexus has done in all their other sedan segments my guess would be no. Genesis has positioned themselves with the G90 as "what the LS always was" which I think is smart.

The short answer is yes the G90 holds up to the modern competition also, at a dramatic savings.

Curious to know. What are the 0-60 figures of the G90 compared to the LS460? MPG? Resale?
Google.
Old 07-05-17 | 04:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
my question is "will the LS500 ride as well as my LS460?", looking at what Lexus has done in all their other sedan segments my guess would be no.
with the prototypes showing (likely heavy) 21" rims and really low profile tires, it could be a challenge to make it ride very comfortably.
Old 07-05-17 | 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with the prototypes showing (likely heavy) 21" rims and really low profile tires, it could be a challenge to make it ride very comfortably.
yep, coupled with what will almost certainly be a firmer dynamic to begin with...
Old 07-05-17 | 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yep.....wagon-wheels and rubber-band tires are simply getting out of hand. It is very likely one of the several reasons (all-weather traction, seat/ride height, space-efficiency. etc....) that so many buyers are dumping many sedans for SUVs. SUVs (even car-based ones) often have more rugged suspensions, but usually come with substantially higher-profile tires that, even with SUV suspensions, take the edge off of sharp bump-impacts.

Relatively few sedans, today, still have what I would still consider a truly comfortable ride.....though you can still find them, if you know where to look.
Old 07-05-17 | 05:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

People aren't buying crossovers because of low profile tires. Hell, they put low profile tires on the crossovers too.

I actually think we have a lot of nice riding sedans out there right now actually...
Old 07-05-17 | 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

People aren't buying crossovers because of low profile tires. Hell, they put low profile tires on the crossovers too.
I said one of several reasons....certainly not the only one. But even some enthusiast-publications today, complain about overly-stiff rides, even on sedans....the Cadillac ATS is a good example.

I actually think we have a lot of nice riding sedans out there right now actually...
Well, one can argue about the actual number (what is acceptable to one person in ride quality is not necessarily the case with others). But, fortunately, at least one more, as of last year, can be added to the list of (relative) smooth-riders.....Toyota, because of public outcry, had to redo the 2014 Avalon's overly-stiff suspension and soften it out for 2016 on all but the Touring version.
Old 07-05-17 | 05:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't really drive a lot of mainstream cars, but I drive a lot of sedans in the luxury space because thats my thing. The only company getting firmer is Lexus, everybody else is softening sedans from generation to generation. The new 5 Series for instance rides really well, as does the new E Class, and both of their previous generations were good rides also. A6 also rides great. I can say that right now from a ride comfort perspective, I don't think one has to go to the flagship class from the midsized class because the rides there have gotten so good. Only reason to is interior refinement, powertrain and space.
Old 07-05-17 | 07:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have read comments from the major auto review mags say things like "Buttery smooth and coddling" and this is for the LC500. I am sure they will get the LS500 right.
Old 07-05-17 | 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have read comments from the major auto review mags say things like "Buttery smooth and coddling" and this is for the LC500.
Well, without sampling an LC myself, I can't otherwise comment on it, but, nevertheless, I'll believe that a high-performance sport-coupe with rubber-band tires rides buttery-smooth when I see it.
Old 07-05-17 | 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

People here who have driven the LC describe it as being more like the GS than the LS.
Old 07-06-17 | 01:28 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

I've converted my 1992 Lexus SC300 from the stock tire size of 215/60/R15 to a much wider, lower profile size of 225/40/R18 in front, 255/35/R18 in the rear.

Main thing I noticed from switching to much lower profile, much wider tires with a lot less sidewall was all the damn noise. Honestly they don't ride that much worse than the 15" Goodyears that were 10-15 years old, 1/3rd tread and dry rotting on the sidewall, that is what the car came with. I'd say the ride is comparable, main thing is when you hit a bump, pothole, tar strip, or whatever, you hear that slap in the cabin a lot more than you feel it. Granted you feel it a little bit, but that inner ear, that tire noise of hitting it makes you feel it more.
Old 07-06-17 | 05:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yeah, wider tires make a big difference, more rubber contacting the road = more noise.
Old 07-06-17 | 10:43 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I don't really drive a lot of mainstream cars, but I drive a lot of sedans in the luxury space because thats my thing. The only company getting firmer is Lexus, everybody else is softening sedans from generation to generation. The new 5 Series for instance rides really well, as does the new E Class, and both of their previous generations were good rides also. A6 also rides great. I can say that right now from a ride comfort perspective, I don't think one has to go to the flagship class from the midsized class because the rides there have gotten so good. Only reason to is interior refinement, powertrain and space.
Totally agree.
This G90 sounds like a nice riding car, but the styling is too conservative for me, and the car too large and heavy handling.
However, luckily the midsize G80 has more contemporary styling that's more my tastes, and it rides very well.
I might have to shift over to Hyundai Genesis, esp when the forthcoming 5GS is going to look not vastly different from the forthcoming 2018 JDM Toyota Crown; 5GS is very likely to retain the C-pillar styling.
I am really warming to Genesis' direction...

Old 07-06-17 | 11:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

my gawd that's ugly...

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news