RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: Do you like the 4RX grill
Yes
68.42%
No
31.58%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Giant grill opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-17 | 02:02 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

I really tried to like it and was warming up to it a little from the front (head on) view. But every time I see it in person from the profile where I outlined it below, IMO the front "overhang" protrudes too much for me....

Last edited by JT4; 06-30-17 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-29-17 | 02:39 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

love that beast grill!
Old 06-30-17 | 08:47 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

^^wow, do big. Reminds me of those giant speakers. Also the large L emblem sort of dangles right in middle of the black hole of a grill. A little odd when I look at it.
Old 06-30-17 | 08:54 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirtiger
NX grill looks normal size to me. The NX as a whole looks proportionally normal. I had driven the NX as a loaners a few times and like the looks....especially the F Sport. I dislike the lack of power, tiny NAV screen & goofy touch pad.

We are about 1.5 yrs since the 4RX release. I am starting to wonder if they plan to tame the giant grill or keep it the same for the big refresh for 2019. As I noted, I tolerate the giant grill. If it absolutely hated it, I wouldn't have gotten it last year.

As of now, only the Audi has large grills. I'm not sure if the trend will continue with other makes.
Doubt Lexus is going to tone back the grille. Just look at how the styling direction of their newly released models like the LC and LS. Large grilles are still a major trend in most of the luxury brands, they just tend to be wide and less vertical.
Old 07-03-17 | 10:17 AM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bdman360
Love my GIANT grill
I love it too! It's almost menacing without being too rude lol.
Old 07-04-17 | 03:12 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

The front grill is enormous and takes away from the beauty of the rest of the vehicle. The grill should not be your focal point. We will not be purchasing one. Will stick with our 2015 or venture to a new manufacturer. In person it is much more overwhelming and much more than the NX. The rest of the exterior is spot on. More than half the front is a black grill that IMO looks terrible on the lighter colors. If you go out to other web sites like Youtube, Car & Driver etc. and read the comments about the front grill they about 9 to 1 against. Some of the negative comments about the grill are merciless.

Last edited by Freds430; 07-07-17 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-04-17 | 06:02 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by bdman360
Love my GIANT grill

Did you paint the chrome contour or did you change it to a custom one in black?
Old 07-07-17 | 07:58 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Freds430
The front grill is enormous and takes away from the beauty of the rest of the vehicle. The grill should not be your focal point. We will not be purchasing one. Will stick with our 2015 or venture to a new manufacturer. In person it is much more overwhelming and much more than the NX. The rest of the exterior is spot on. More than half the front is a black grill that IMO looks terrible on the lighter colors .
that is one of the issues....you can't ignore the grill the size of the blackhole. Since I am inside the car more, I really enjoy the interior far more than the exterior.

I sat behind and in front of a RX and NX in traffic on different occasions....the back of the RX far better than the NX. The front end of the NX F-sport is better looking than the 4RX. That is just my opinion
Old 07-07-17 | 08:24 AM
MisterQ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Freds430
The front grill is enormous and takes away from the beauty of the rest of the vehicle. The grill should not be your focal point...
Originally Posted by sirtiger
that is one of the issues....you can't ignore the grill the size of the blackhole...
In my opinion, the traditional design of cars ever since (well.. since forever) is to make the grille as least visible as possible, the traditional thinking is that it's only there to provide air flow through the radiator. And people are used to this design (since forever).

Recently, car designers are changing their view about it and starting to make it bigger and bigger (Audi, Mercedes, Kia, Lexus, etc.) and Lexus is taking quite a bold move with the RX Grille.

I think it's somewhat obtrusive to what people are used to, but for those who adopt to this change faster than others actually see it as a new beauty, not obtrusive at all. I liked the new giant honeycomb grille since it came out, and now I don't see it big any more, I see it as just well proportion with the rest of the car, and when I see the NX grille now, I actually find it a bit too small.

My prediction: this is a new trend, the grille will be the front focus of cars and all car manufacturers will adopt to this new look.
Old 07-07-17 | 09:35 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by MisterQ
In my opinion, the traditional design of cars ever since (well.. since forever) is to make the grille as least visible as possible, the traditional thinking is that it's only there to provide air flow through the radiator. And people are used to this design (since forever).

Recently, car designers are changing their view about it and starting to make it bigger and bigger (Audi, Mercedes, Kia, Lexus, etc.) and Lexus is taking quite a bold move with the RX Grille.

I think it's somewhat obtrusive to what people are used to, but for those who adopt to this change faster than others actually see it as a new beauty, not obtrusive at all. I liked the new giant honeycomb grille since it came out, and now I don't see it big any more, I see it as just well proportion with the rest of the car, and when I see the NX grille now, I actually find it a bit too small.

My prediction: this is a new trend, the grille will be the front focus of cars and all car manufacturers will adopt to this new look.

I had the same remark when I saw the new CX 9

Old 07-07-17 | 09:42 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PeeVee
I had the same remark when I saw the new CX 9

so 4RX owners will say my grill is still bigger than yours?

fyi, I like the CX in person. Its highly rated vehicle from all the reviews.
Old 07-07-17 | 01:12 PM
ericsan13
Racer

This is for all the haterz:

Old 07-08-17 | 05:16 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

They're getting away from paint. Front bumper, roof and now the C pillars are glass too. Plus all of the plastic at the bottom and around the wheels.

I like the new grilles, but I also like shiny paint. Good news is that the majority of rock chips would be in the area where the grille is anyway, so that's a positive.
Old 07-08-17 | 05:51 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

IMO, Grills/front ends have always been the focal point of any vehicle.
While the grill is massive, its clean and says Lexus mile away.
What I don't understand is the newer hondas and toyota types with multiple grills on top of each other.
They look complex/messy.
Old 07-09-17 | 03:59 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

The design is ok, if it were smaller I think it would look more in character with the rest of the body

Quick Reply: POLL: Giant grill opinions