LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is this the best timing belt and water pump kit to order for an 05 LS 430?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 09:03 AM
Dacubs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the best timing belt and water pump kit to order for an 05 LS 430?

Amazon Amazon

It seems like a really good deal, anyone have experience with this?
Old 07-12-17, 09:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

That does seem to be the gold standard...my indie used it. He said if I really want Lexus, they could use it, but that's extra on top of the $775 quote.....

I don't think we've ever heard anything bad about Aisin. Not every part is like for like. I have all my old parts in the Aisin box so way back when I pulled all the brands off of each component....good luck...that's a good price too I seem to remember seeing about $172 or so...

edit p.s. here is my post where I was looking at what came out of the car (was original from the factory) to compare to Aisin

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9788706

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-12-17 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-12-17, 09:37 AM
Dacubs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
That does seem to be the gold standard...my indie used it. He said if I really want Lexus, they could use it, but that's extra on top of the $775 quote.....

I don't think we've ever heard anything bad about Aisin. Not every part is like for like. I have all my old parts in the Aisin box so way back when I pulled all the brands off of each component....good luck...that's a good price too I seem to remember seeing about $172 or so...

edit p.s. here is my post where I was looking at what came out of the car (was original from the factory) to compare to Aisin

Thank you I will have to order this then.

I did read the reviews and one review from an LS 430 owner said
"But -- the marks on the timing belt for my Lexus LS 430 were off one tooth on the crank. If you go by the marks on the belt the check engine light will come on and the code will be P0016. How do I know this? Well------"

Any truth to this?
Old 07-12-17, 09:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Dacubs

"But -- the marks on the timing belt for my Lexus LS 430 were off one tooth on the crank. If you go by the marks on the belt the check engine light will come on and the code will be P0016. How do I know this? Well------"

Any truth to this?
I don't think so....and keep in mind I did not DIY, and this has been debated. If you look at the youtube, the person marked the old belt before removing, and transferred the marks to the new belt. This eliminates any errors.

It shouldn't be necessary if the new belt has marks, but you could always do that as a precaution...

Also, people have gotten left and right backwards, and that was debated as well as to if the marks still line up, would it matter....one person seemed to clear the air and state it shouldn't matter, think about a belt that has no marks at all, it could go either way, you have to mark it yourself....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ent-ls430.html

Old 07-12-17, 04:15 PM
Fish
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same timing belt kit currently on my car. My cousin installed it for me at the end of April and no check engine light came on.
Old 07-12-17, 05:22 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Any truth to this?
I doubt that the belt is mis-marked at the factory. Most likely it was installed wrong. This can easily occur when you release the tensioner to tighten the belt - the belt can skip a tooth when it snapped in to place. Please note that the mark for the crankshaft is on the "tooth" part (the thick part) of the belt, while the two marks for the camshafts are on the "gap" part (the thin part) of the belt.

Old 07-13-17, 12:10 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

I used the Aisin kit when I did the timing belt on my 400 and all the parts matched up to the parts that came off the car.
Old 06-24-19, 02:19 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Any truth to this?
Hello. May I ask how many miles you had on the car when you changed the timing belt? May I also ask how dis the original belt look when it was taken out?
Old 06-24-19, 02:20 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fish
I have the same timing belt kit currently on my car. My cousin installed it for me at the end of April and no check engine light came on.
Hello. May I ask how many miles you had on the car when you changed the timing belt? May I also ask how did the original belt look when it was taken out?
Old 06-24-19, 02:21 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

Hello. May I ask how many miles you had on the car when you changed the timing belt? May I also ask what the original belt looked like when it was taken out?
Old 06-24-19, 08:19 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Aftermarket parts buyer beware

Comments on the Aisin kit timing belt;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...eficiency.html

Another post containing comment on Aisin aftermarket water pump. (Bradland)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t-parts-3.html

Bradland suggests the Aisin aftermarket water pump variant weighs less than Toyota/Lexus dealer purchased water pump.

Would appreciate if someone could provide weight on their aftermarket Aisin water pump for comparison.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-19, 08:36 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Aisin-TKT-021.../dp/B008EEYWKI

It seems like a really good deal, anyone have experience with this?
From what I understand aisin is actually what they use for OEM, could be wrong, but I wouldn't use anything but.

NEVER us DNJ, they have a bad reputation of snapping at 12k, right outside their warranty. I used their kit because it was the same cost but appeared made in the us, it's not, chinese made and crap. The belt snapped because the tensioner leaked and failed and I had to rebuild two subaru heads. I posted on their facebook page and have had NUMEROUS replies stating the same. just fyi, they look legit on screen but they aren't.

I had aisin kit installed on my 430 and on my 400 back when I had it, pretty sure I used them when I had an accord, good quality, only brand I'd use

As for mismarked, highly unlikely, all of their kits I had matched up dead on, if the crank was off by one tooth then seems to me the crank just wasn't positioned right...no matter what the old belt read.

As for weight of the water pump, what does it matter? Unless your a pro dragstrip racer a few ounces is meaningless...you have to shave 100 pounds (45.36kg) to gain .1 second on a dragstrip, so they say