GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Roof Top Tent

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 12:38 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts
Default Roof Top Tent

Last edited by Acrad; 12-05-20 at 05:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (11-11-22)
Old 07-15-17, 07:31 PM
mattau
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow! Looks like it will be a PITA to put everything back, especially if it got wet in the rain... LOL
Old 07-16-17, 07:27 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Teardown doesn't look too bad but redeploying a wet tent wouldn't be any fun either if one was making daily boondock camps.
Old 03-21-20, 09:53 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Does anyone have the Ironman4x4 roof top tent?

I'm looking for reviews and input before I pull the trigger on Ironman America's RTT - it looks to be very similar to the Smittybilt Overlander, and can be had for about $100 cheaper, but I can't find anything about it beyond a few youtube videos from 5-10 years ago. Does anyone actually own this thing, and have any input on how it's performed?
Old 03-21-20, 04:16 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Roof top tent... not awning.

sorry, got them mixed up
Old 12-05-20, 05:56 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Old 12-05-20, 05:11 PM
pv05
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have the ones you are asking about but I believe most of them are very similar if not the same with a different name on it. Are you looking for reviews specifically for those models or just RTT's in general?

Pictured: OVS 4 person RTT and their 270 awning.

Old 12-05-20, 07:39 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like a good wind would create problems , strong wind would be a disaster .
I'll sleep in my GX for comfort and safety
Old 12-06-20, 09:20 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Luap
Looks like a good wind would create problems , strong wind would be a disaster .
I'll sleep in my GX for comfort and safety
I've had my roof top tent in some insane winds, no issues. Even with the annex not staked down (two kids and gear inside) it barely moved. They are more durable than they look

the awning, yeah that would get destroyed in winds. they are pretty durable but I wouldn't have that deployed on a high wind day.
Old 03-07-21, 01:44 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

^^^ pretty cool but I think this video will be deleted soon due to The Cure music if there was no consent.
Old 11-06-22, 05:18 PM
gregGX
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Rooftop Tent?

Hello all-
Sorry if this has been asked before, but before I hit the 'buy' button on a new rooftop tent, does anyone know if the factory roofrack/crossbars can support a rooftop tent? I will be taking delivery of my 2023 GX tomorrow, which I added the crossbars to, and I'm wondering if I'd need to swap parts, add parts, or if it's just not something that this platform supports? Again, if this has been asked, please point me in the direction, as I wasn't able to find this with the search function on here.

Thanks again!
Greg
Old 11-06-22, 05:51 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by gregGX
Hello all-
Sorry if this has been asked before, but before I hit the 'buy' button on a new rooftop tent, does anyone know if the factory roofrack/crossbars can support a rooftop tent? I will be taking delivery of my 2023 GX tomorrow, which I added the crossbars to, and I'm wondering if I'd need to swap parts, add parts, or if it's just not something that this platform supports? Again, if this has been asked, please point me in the direction, as I wasn't able to find this with the search function on here.

Thanks again!
Greg
The factory cross bars will support 176 pounds.
Old 11-07-22, 05:24 AM
gregGX
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the information on the crossbar weight limit, is that the limit for what it can carry when in motion, or is that the max that the crossbars/roof-rails can support? The tent I'm looking at weights 167lbs, so that would be under the stated weight limit, but add even one human while parked to sleep, and you're well over that stated limit. I assume its the rating for while the truck is in motion, but we all know what happens when one assumes. Any additional feedback would be great.

Best,
Greg
Old 11-07-22, 05:42 AM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I am on RTT #2. I am not pro or against because I see pros and cons to anything. I have owned 7 RVs of all types. Tent trailer, motor home, bumper pull, fifth wheel and pickup campers. They all had pros and cons. My prev RTT I had on my old GX 470 and I hated how high it was. Setting up and tearing down was very hard and could be dangerous when the vehicle was wet. It was a Tapui. It was comfortable and very warm. We decided to sell it and tried another small Rv trailer for a couple years. I was very unhappy with the Rv and sold it at the beginning of this year. I bought a RTT again but decided not to mount it to a vehicle. Instead I built a trailer to put it on. It is the 23zero. And it is so much better than the Tapui.
The following users liked this post:
SteveInCal (08-16-23)
Old 11-07-22, 07:39 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by gregGX
Thanks for the information on the crossbar weight limit, is that the limit for what it can carry when in motion, or is that the max that the crossbars/roof-rails can support? The tent I'm looking at weights 167lbs, so that would be under the stated weight limit, but add even one human while parked to sleep, and you're well over that stated limit. I assume its the rating for while the truck is in motion, but we all know what happens when one assumes. Any additional feedback would be great.

Best,
Greg
I got the info from the GX manual. I would assume that the weight limit is based on the vehicle in motion because it also states about the additional height on the roof raised the center of gravity and to be careful when turning. I would also imagine that the ladder would be a support to make it possible for campers to be supported on top of the roof with the base that the tent sits on.

Quick Reply: Roof Top Tent