GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Do you have a GX 460 (US model) having the same issue?
Yes I had the issue but it has been corrected
0%
Yes I have the problem and am interested in hearing about any fixes
100.00%
BSM is enabled and working fine for me
0%
I do not have BSM enabled
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

BSM - Blind Sport Monitoring Questions, Comments, Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-15, 11:04 AM
HappyTrail
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb GX BSM False Alert Issue

Hi All,

Brand new member and I would really appreciate your feedback. My 2014 GX has been great except for one annoying problem; with BSM mode enabled, the passenger side BSM indicator randomly lights solid when driving down the road with NO vehicles around me (driver side indicator works perfectly 100% of the time). Does not appear to be correlated to temperature, day/night, humidity, speed, or conditions mentioned in the manual. Other current RX and GX owners I know don't seem to have the issue. Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix? Has anyone experiencing this done any research? Can the BSM system be calibrated or is the detection program burned into the individual sensors and control module such that the system cannot be re-calibrated? Does a GX BSM system publication exist? I have several photos illustrating the problem. Reported to dealer. The dealers conversation with Lexus was that it is not a perfect system with no explanation as to why one side would have the issue but the other wouldn't. Below is the online reference that Lexus provides. The BSM feature is a very nice one except for this intermittent issue. Thanks for your help.

Link to Lexus Driver's Online Manual - BSM (Blind Spot Monitor) section pg 347 - 356. [URL="http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM60K80U/pdf/sec_04-05.pdf#page=143&zoom=110,-58,583"]

FCC ID : OAYSRR2A Link to document detailing BSM [URL="http://fccid.net/document.php?id=1592412"]

Last edited by HappyTrail; 02-07-15 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Update Document Reference
Old 10-25-15, 05:28 AM
afk8445
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HappyTrail
Hi All,

Brand new member and I would really appreciate your feedback. My 2014 GX has been great except for one annoying problem; with BSM mode enabled, the passenger side BSM indicator randomly lights solid when driving down the road with NO vehicles around me (driver side indicator works perfectly 100% of the time). Does not appear to be correlated to temperature, day/night, humidity, speed, or conditions mentioned in the manual. Other current RX and GX owners I know don't seem to have the issue. Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix? Has anyone experiencing this done any research? Can the BSM system be calibrated or is the detection program burned into the individual sensors and control module such that the system cannot be re-calibrated? Does a GX BSM system publication exist? I have several photos illustrating the problem. Reported to dealer. The dealers conversation with Lexus was that it is not a perfect system with no explanation as to why one side would have the issue but the other wouldn't. Below is the online reference that Lexus provides. The BSM feature is a very nice one except for this intermittent issue. Thanks for your help.

Link to Lexus Driver's Online Manual - BSM (Blind Spot Monitor) section pg 347 - 356. [URL="http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM60K80U/pdf/sec_04-05.pdf#page=143&zoom=110,-58,583"]

FCC ID : OAYSRR2A Link to document detailing BSM [URL="http://fccid.net/document.php?id=1592412"]
Have exactly same issue. Any luck getting this fixed?
Old 10-26-15, 09:34 AM
HappyTrail
Driver School Candidate

Default 2014 GX False BSM Alerting

Since my first post, I have found that I can reproduce the false alerting by driving down certain locations on some roads in my area of town. I suspect that the BSM operating frequency is a shared frequency and that the Lexus OEM supplier's system is not uniquely coded (or filtered) to exclude "non BSM" system detected signals within the shared band. Still pleased with the BSM feature (vs not having it), just reports more often than necessary. Wish I had better news to report.
Old 10-26-15, 12:54 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Mine does this when I'm driving down a heavily forested area. It's mistaking the trees for cars. Or at least that's my excuse.

It did the same thing in my 2013 GS350.
Old 11-02-15, 06:16 AM
afk8445
Driver School Candidate

I agree with Happytrail, I would rather it report more frequently than not have it, but sometimes, I know there is no one on my right hand side, i start changing lanes and the light goes on, and i get scared/confused for a second, as it obviously means there is something that i did not see before switching, this is mainly why I would like to have a solution.
The idea that the frequency could be shared kind of makes sense to me now, as there are certain areas when it reacts this way, could be the reason. The other reason I was thinking of (no idea if it makes any sense or not) is that the power wire might be loose, or the sensor itself might be slightly moving, I tend to see this fault when I am breaking a little harder so the car would be leaning forward.
I took the car to the dealer for maintenance and told them about this, and off course they could not reproduce the fault.
I had a GS350 and it did not react the same way.
Old 07-18-17, 12:45 PM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default BSM Side Mirror Retro Fit

Is it possible to just swap in newer whole GX side mirror assemblies to obtain blind spot monitoring?
Old 07-18-17, 01:20 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

The mirrors give you the warning light. You still need the sensors.

https://parts.iralexusofmanchester.c...wd=&origin=pla
Old 07-18-17, 01:43 PM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

that price, daaaaaaamn.

thanks, Tecman.
Old 07-18-17, 03:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I wonder if one also needs a new BCM as well for this mod? Are there any configurations for system in Infotainment or center dashboard display?
Old 07-19-17, 05:40 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

From my understanding from a friend that worked at a lexus body shop the system uses the park assist sensors to make this work,
Old 07-19-17, 06:37 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Park Assist is part of it. Just a few shots from FSM.

Old 03-14-19, 08:43 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default BSM false positives

Has anyone had issues with BSM false positives? I've attached a picture. This happens regardless of weather or if the car exterior is clean or dirty. It also only happens on the passenger side. It's on my 2018 GX and I've taken it to the dealer twice now. They claim there's nothing wrong with the sensors and they're functioning as expected...

BSM issue
Old 03-14-19, 08:55 AM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The sensors will go off on the passenger side often when you are passing a steel post such as stop signs depending on how close you are and how thick it is.
My opinion on why it only occurs on the passenger side most of the time is because we drive on the right hand side of the road which places us in closer proximity to the posts compared to the driver's side sensors.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Old 03-14-19, 09:35 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I had a loaner a couple of months ago with BSD and I found that it was very sensitive to objects on passenger side. The alerts showed up even when I was passing cars 2 lanes away.

Originally Posted by rmason
The sensors will go off on the passenger side often when you are passing a steel post such as stop signs depending on how close you are and how thick it is.
My opinion on why it only occurs on the passenger side most of the time is because we drive on the right hand side of the road which places us in closer proximity to the posts compared to the driver's side sensors.
Old 03-14-19, 10:34 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rmason
I'd buy that except we also have a 2016 RX 350 and I've never had a false positive in that vehicle, driving down the same roads, etc. Also, my driver side BSM has never given me a false positive. I've tried ignoring it for the past few months and last week I had a 3 hour road trip in the evening where I was the only car on the freeway and the BSM went off multiple times. Hard to ignore the bright orange and it's simply just distracting when there's no vehicle there.

Quick Reply: BSM - Blind Sport Monitoring Questions, Comments, Concerns