Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will wagons ever be cool again in america?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 10:10 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
cuv's/suv's have much heigher ground clearance typically,
Put 21" wheels on any car and it's easy to have more ground clearance. And why does it even matter SUVs are almost never driven off road.
Old 07-28-17, 10:23 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Put 21" wheels on any car and it's easy to have more ground clearance. And why does it even matter SUVs are almost never driven off road.
When you're out in six inches of snow you won't ask that anymore. Especially when it's wet heavy snow. It doesn't matter much in that lite fluffy stuff. I mean you are from Alberta.

Last edited by Coleroad; 07-28-17 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-28-17, 11:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

And why does it even matter SUVs are almost never driven off road.
when i've been in alberta it seems about 70%+ of vehicles are trucks and suvs
Old 07-28-17, 12:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Goodness... That Jag and the Panamera wagon all look like sex on wheels. Seriously, those are beautiful, sleek yet very practical cars. The Cayenne and F-Pace look like porky dumplings in comparison.

There's only one SUV that I'd consider over all these wagons: the Alfa Stelvio. I saw a fleet of 'em roaring up a mountain road, probably on a test drive event, and they looked sensational.
What do you think of the Maserati Levante? And soon Lamborghini will have that Urus SUV or whatever they play to call it.

Originally Posted by gengar
The Jaguar looks amazing - it's just a shame that the XF doesn't offer more engine options, especially since it is a smaller, lighter platform than the E-Class and so a performance variant would have certain advantages over the AMG.

As far as wagons generally - I'm surprised no has mentioned the big elephant in the room, which is CAFE standards and gas guzzler tax. As we know, many CUVs/SUVs/crossovers on truck/light truck platforms have the exact same footprint and cargo area as station wagons classified as passenger cars, but the light/trucks are exempt from gas guzzler tax - implicitly making the respective station wagons less competitive. It won't account for all the "cool" factor, but if American companies aren't developing and marketing station wagons and foreign companies aren't marketing station wagons and bringing them to the US, there's necessarily going to be drop in interest from consumers.
The XF sure is one slinky kitty. I agree though, a 180hp diesel, 340hp or 380hp supercharged V6 are the only powertrains available where's that mighty 5.0L supercharged V8??
Old 07-28-17, 12:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

it matters when the population is getting fatter and older, higher ground clearance can assure they can get back up standing while exiting the vehicle .
Old 07-28-17, 08:16 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
But, for consideration...

panamera sport turismo wagon
The Panamera wagon looks good and all, but barely has more trunk space than the standard Panamera (49 ft3 vs 46 ft3) - 3 cubic feet and who knows with rounding, it's practically negligible. Even the relatively small XF Sportbrake has 60 ft3. Meanwhile, mags report the USA-spec E400 wagon (which has 3rd row seats standard) has 64.3 ft3, so presumably even more without the 3rd row seats (which will not be on the E63S).

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The XF sure is one slinky kitty. I agree though, a 180hp diesel, 340hp or 380hp supercharged V6 are the only powertrains available where's that mighty 5.0L supercharged V8??
Exactly the first thing I thought. But that engine is not available on any XF, so maybe a packaging issue.
Old 07-28-17, 10:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First generation BMW X1, despite being marketed as an SUV, was a very sharp and aggressive looking wagon. They totally ruined it with the redesigned FWD model that now looks like a run of the mill cute ute.

Old 07-29-17, 02:13 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

What do you think of the Maserati Levante? And soon Lamborghini will have that Urus SUV or whatever they play to call it.
The Levante looks like a first-gen Cayenne with a Maserati grille tacked on. In my eyes it's an ugly bloated lump, an RX looks so much sharper and more coherent. As for the Urus, that's in G63 territory already - as in no one cares how it looks, it's more for showing off how much dough you've got.
Old 07-29-17, 06:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
First generation BMW X1, despite being marketed as an SUV, was a very sharp and aggressive looking wagon. They totally ruined it with the redesigned FWD model that now looks like a run of the mill cute ute.
I loved when BMW was asked why the 2nd gen X1 was FWD based. They said the majority of X1 owners didn't even know the original was RWD based anyway. imho proof that even BMW and MB are going mainstream with 4 cyl/FWD as the platform for the new and diminutive models.
Old 07-30-17, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I loved when BMW was asked why the 2nd gen X1 was FWD based. They said the majority of X1 owners didn't even know the original was RWD based anyway. imho proof that even BMW and MB are going mainstream with 4 cyl/FWD as the platform for the new and diminutive models.
friend with a new e-class had no idea it was a 4 cyl turbo and not a 6.
Old 07-30-17, 07:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Most non enthusiast don't know and don't care what the hell they are driving. This is why the camcordtima sells so much.
Old 07-30-17, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Didn't even bother to raise the hood? Now that's what I call a real inspection LOL.

Of course, with the huge gray/black plastic engine covers so many manufacturers insist on using nowadays, even LOOKING at the engine doesn't always give you a clue what's underneath.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-17 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-30-17, 08:01 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you've hit on one of the more difficult things in the auto industry to determine....just exactly where to draw the line between an SUV, crossover, and wagon. As I see it, though (and a number of product analysts do as well, including Consumer Reports), the Forester and Outback are somewhat closer to their basic sedan-platform underpinnings (Impreza and Legacy) than the Toyota and Honda SUVs/CUVs are to their Corolla/Camry and Civic/Accord underpinnings.
In the not-too-distant past (even yesterday), I would have argued that the crossover utility vehicle (CUV) could be differentiated by large wheels and tires, raised suspension and higher ground clearance, and greater cabin height. All of these factors led to car-based crossovers that had the height of minivans (the tall RAV4 is a good example).

Going by this definition, I would argue that the Outback is a station wagon while the tall Forester is a CUV.

Yet, now we have the BMW X1 (both 1st and current-generation models), and the Mercedes-Benz and Infiniti QX30, all of which are not much taller than their equivalent hatchback and wagon models. They have successfully distilled the essence of the crossover styling and transplanted it to cars, making what would otherwise be normal cars look like crossovers. I believe the crossover styling cues are the presence of some black under-body cladding, and the "correct" proportions of the wheel and tire size, and glass greenhouse height, and overall cabin height.

I believe that crossovers will become more and more car-like because emissions regulations (especially the emission of CO2, which is directly-proportional to fuel consumption) are become ever stricter. The tall rolling brick that is the crossover will have to become lower and sleeker, and lighter (because crossovers are sold as light trucks in the USA and Canada, they do not have to meet the stricter car fuel economy regulations). The crossover will have to become a hatchback or wagon car with crossover styling cues.

If the presence of these styling cues are all it takes to turn a slow-selling wagon or hatchback into a more-in-demand crossover, I would say, bring on more Toyota and Lexus wagons/crossovers.
Old 07-31-17, 12:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Going by this definition, I would argue that the Outback is a station wagon while the tall Forester is a CUV.
amen

Anyone miss this bad***? I think it'd look more sexy a second time around with the new body style and a Hellcat version

Old 07-31-17, 08:07 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

amen

Anyone miss this bad***? I think it'd look more sexy a second time around with the new body style and a Hellcat version

Totally miss the Magnum! The hatch opening was pretty trick looking as well with it's forward mounted hinge. Would definitely consider picking up a newer version!

Quick Reply: Will wagons ever be cool again in america?