Starter Replacement, Problems, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 10:37 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts
Lightbulb Starter Replacement, Problems, Questions

PN 28100-0S060

No issues with mine... I was just curious about steps to work on.

I've seen complaints in lots of Tundra forums (4.6L/5.7L) about placement of starter under the passenger side exhaust manifold. I guess it is billed at 6 hours labor too. The exhaust manifold has to be removed to replace starter.

Just some steps from FSM

•••I can see why this take so long. The CAT is welded to the exhaust manifold you have to disconnect the exhaust further back. Lots!!! of additional covers and heat shields as well. Probably 4-5 hours in this step alone

Last edited by Acrad; 10-15-21 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 04:15 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

Yikes...Hope this is a lifetime of vehicle part for us. Is it still an option to tap the starter with a screw driver or hammer to get by? Been there done that. The starter still looks like what I remember from any older car regardless of manufacturer.
Old 08-02-17, 04:36 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

EDIT: Yeah.. it looks like just a standard starter that has some access challenges.

A somewhat crude video..but he mentioned doing the screwdriver tap to get it going. Knock on wood I have never lost a starter in a car. Last alternator was in a '87 Maxima about 25 years ago.

It goes through process of replacing.

Last edited by Acrad; 08-02-17 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 05:26 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Just to give you a rough idea of work with exhaust manifold.

Old 08-02-17, 05:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Old 08-03-17, 08:22 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

In the predecessor engine (4.7L V8), the starter was located under the intake manifold and was also a PITA to access to replace the $25 contacts. Toyota's "solution" was to move it under the other manifold?? There must be something problematic with the design of this V8 platform that makes the starter placement design so poor. On my Land Cruisers it's like a 15 minute job....
Old 08-03-17, 09:55 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Definitely not an easy "on the trail" fix. Fortunately... looking around I don't see any noticeable trend indicating this part fails that often. Most failures that do occur seem to be in the 175k mile + range in the Tundras anyway. I would undertake this if needed but surely lots of 4 letter expletives and many hand/finger cuts to boot.
Old 08-03-17, 11:28 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Looks like a PITA but you just do what you have to do if it has to be replaced. Thanks for posting, I am still waiting for the 2015 manual to be available on the link you posted.
Old 08-03-17, 04:34 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

IMO: I think if one undertakes this they should give the difficult nuts/studs good spray of penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. The exhaust manifold studs would give me the most concern depending on age and condition as not unheard of to break those off on a high mileage rig.
Old 12-24-21, 10:10 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Starter hissing before engaging?

This happens occasionally but starting to be more frequent so I'm getting concerned. It'll make a hissing/wheezing noise like the gear on the start isn't engaging, then it'll engage and start. Sometimes it'll alternate between hissing and engaging a few times before fully engaging and starting the car. I have an AGM battery and ever since I installed it the starting has been quick and feels stronger (don't know if that's the right explanation). When the starter does engage it still feels just as strong.

Is it time to replace? I saw the threas with the FSM instructions to replace it and looks like a huge pita.
Old 12-24-21, 10:58 AM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

i dont have an answer, but does the wheezing sound happen while its turning on and 99% of the time you hear it, it happens after the car has been sitting for over 10hrs?

mine only does it when its below 50 degrees and has been sitting overnight...if i turn it off and turn it on again, it gets better but still wheeze's a lot less or not at all if the car has been running for 1min+.

this is the sound it makes
Old 12-24-21, 11:08 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
i dont have an answer, but does the wheezing sound happen while its turning on and 99% of the time you hear it, it happens after the car has been sitting for over 10hrs?

mine only does it when its below 50 degrees and has been sitting overnight...if i turn it off and turn it on again, it gets better but still wheeze's a lot less or not at all if the car has been running for 1min+.

this is the sound it makes
Mine sounds different, like a free spinning electric motor hissing noise.

It's completely random, i want to say more frequent when sitting over night but sometimes when it's only been off while refueling at a gas station.
Old 12-24-21, 06:07 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

so if this is the sound (check timestamp below) yours is making then go ahead and get that credit card ready.
if youre taking it to and independent garage that allows you to bring your own parts, buy from here (PN:281000S060), and use 'clublexus' for 50% off shipping.(2:42 timestamp)
The following users liked this post:
mikedallas (11-27-23)
Old 01-02-22, 09:40 AM
John00
Racer

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
This happens occasionally but starting to be more frequent so I'm getting concerned. It'll make a hissing/wheezing noise like the gear on the start isn't engaging, then it'll engage and start. Sometimes it'll alternate between hissing and engaging a few times before fully engaging and starting the car. I have an AGM battery and ever since I installed it the starting has been quick and feels stronger (don't know if that's the right explanation). When the starter does engage it still feels just as strong.

Is it time to replace? I saw the threas with the FSM instructions to replace it and looks like a huge pita.
could be a couple of things, either the push of the starter isnt working and no engagement pinion/flywheel, or theres enough wear that theres not enough engagement pinion to flywheel to fully go from beginning, and therefore has to move a bit first to get full engagement. just did this repair a couple of weeks ago. person went with just a starter and skip the flywheel even though there was plenty of wear.
Old 05-08-22, 01:00 PM
Neilchalas
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Weird issue - starter was trying to crank with the car off and locked.

So I have no idea what caused this but I parked at my office for about an hour, locked my 2010 GX and when I came back out I heard a rythmic tapping, almost sounded like someone was hitting something with a hammer rhythmically except it was 2 AM

Realized the sound was coming from my GX, realized there was a very strong burning smell, and finally realized my starter was repeatedly trying to click over. I cycled the push-button ignition and it stopped trying to engage the starter.
When I got inside, there was a message on the dash that said "Shift to Park" or something, but I was on an incline and 100% park was engaged.

Battery was super hot, and I assume the starter/solenoid was also super hot. So I waited about an hour and a half for a jump and let things cool off. Vehicle fired up with a jump-pack, but now sounds pretty rough while cranking. No doubt it killed my battery so it could just be a degraded battery causing the slow/rough start. Going to replace it and hope that the starter survived.
It seems that the starter is on the bottom side of the engine (not under the upper intake manifold) so I may pull it and have it rebuilt locally for peace of mind.

But why would this happen? I can not replicate the issue, nor am I even sure what went wrong. Ignition malfunction? I do not have any remote-start, vehicle is 100% stock

Any advice would be appreciated, just trying to make sure this doesn't happen again. Only had the GX for about a year and this is the first "malfunction" I have encountered

Quick Reply: Starter Replacement, Problems, Questions