Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

See Why the Jump From Toyota to Lexus Is Worth it

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 11:07 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default See Why the Jump From Toyota to Lexus Is Worth it

See Why the Jump From Toyota to Lexus Is Worth it
By Bassem Girgis

Numerous people feel torn when choosing between Toyota and Lexus, simply because they are both great brands; however one is much cheaper than the other. Here's why choosing the Lexus over the Toyota is well worth the extra money.

Old 08-14-17, 09:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have been a big fan of Lexus since their inception in 1989. We have a few Lexus models in my immediate house over the years and a my sister and parents have had a few as well.

I will say that I question if some cars like the RX or ES are really worth it over a Toyota . The CT was certainly not the worth it. But cars like the GS, RC, IS and LS, LX, or LC are all very good cars. Nice to see that they are still making those ones in Japan.

The whole dealership thing is a moot point IMO. There are some very nice Toyota dealers from what I have seen.
Old 08-14-17, 09:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I will say that I question if some cars like the RX or ES are really worth it over a Toyota.
I've done several full-reviews on both the Avalon and ES. The ES, in several ways, does seem to be a step up from the current-generation Avalon. That's why the ES350 was in the Top Five consideration when I recently made my own decision, and the Avalon wasn't.

And, not just my own opinion.....the ES and RX sales numbers show that many buyers also agree, though, of course, sedans in general are losing ground to SUVs.

The CT was certainly not the worth it.
Agreed. And you will notice that it is being dropped from the American market.

Just out of curiosity......since your disdain for the CT is no secret, why do you keep the designation as part of your screen-name?
Old 08-14-17, 09:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

There are two main reasons there is a Toyota and Lexus: 1) Price. There are those who can pay more for what they drive and vice versa. 2) Name and image. There are those who seek out to project a luxury image through the car they drive. And there are those who want to blend in more and go for pure practicality.
Old 08-14-17, 09:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What this thread fails to point out, however, is that sometimes there IS a big jump from a Toyota to its equivalent Lexus product........but sometimes not. Case in point.....the old Toyota Altezza became the 1Gen IS300 in the American market with little more than a standard-engine-change. And some American-market Lexus products were sold in the Japanese home-market as Toyotas. There is little difference between the Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX570 outside of some extra wood trim and a trick electronic suspension-height. In the majority of cases, however, I do agree that there are significant differences between Toyotas and equivalent Lexus versions....and that moving up to the Lexus is worth it.