IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Possible to add sensors after initial purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 12:24 PM
mopudding
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Possible to add sensors after initial purchase?

My IS350 FSport doesn't have backup sensors, lane assist, or any of the cool "awareness" tech offered by Lexus.
  • Can the dealer install this post-delivery?
  • What tech is available?
  • Which tech is most useful?
  • What do you think it costs?
Old 08-15-17, 12:59 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by mopudding
My IS350 FSport doesn't have backup sensors, lane assist, or any of the cool "awareness" tech offered by Lexus.
  • Can the dealer install this post-delivery?
  • What tech is available?
  • Which tech is most useful?
  • What do you think it costs?
  • Can the dealer install this post-delivery? With enough money, anything is possible
  • What tech is available? With enough money, any of them are available
  • Which tech is most useful? Personally I think the Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) is the most useful
  • What do you think it costs? Depends on the system, but on average, to do a factory-like install, you're looking about $6000...and that's only an average.
Realistically, the way that systems are so integrated into vehicles, you really need to purchase them with the vehicle as part of the vehicle.
It's one thing to add an aftermarket backup camera or backup sensors, but it's a whole different ball game when you talk about BSM and Lane Departure.
Wire harnesses and ECUs are super expensive for those types of systems.
Some have added the factory backup camera to vehicles without for minimal cost, but you are still looking at between $500-$1000 if you use a brand new, from Lexus, camera.
The following users liked this post:
mopudding (08-15-17)
Old 08-15-17, 07:52 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Totally accurate Sasnuke. I got a 350F which doesn't have park assist. I asked the dealer once if a retrofit is possible and he flat out said no. Restriction having more to do with the the software, wiring and much less to do with the nightmare of having to remove both bumpers to install sensors. Your best bet is aftermarket stuff, and that too will be a handful if you want a clean/OEM look. Like wiring thru the firewall etc. Messy and long hours to say the least.
Old 08-15-17, 08:15 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

You're not really missing much if you're a good driver

The only "Safety Feature" is like for this car is the BSM and PCS, cause its the only ones I have lmao.

LKA is okay to have, but it does not work under 32mph, and DO NOT expect it to work like Tesla's auto pilot. I can happily live without this.
Parking Assist is a nice feature if you park your car in the streets. (Useful for parallel parking).
Old 08-15-17, 08:42 PM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i personally dont need the parking assist. bsm is good to have especially if you have tinted windows.
dosent the is350 fsport come with lane assist, bsm and backup camera already?
Old 08-15-17, 08:48 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fivesevenn
i personally dont need the parking assist. bsm is good to have especially if you have tinted windows.
dosent the is350 fsport come with lane assist, bsm and backup camera already?
LKA, PCS, BSM came standard on the '17 IS. Backup camera standard on ALL Lexus, except the CT.

I have a '16 IS, and the PCS and BSM where additional options. Good features here, PCS saved my *** a few times.
Old 08-16-17, 11:26 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,726 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
LKA, PCS, BSM came standard on the '17 IS. Backup camera standard on ALL Lexus, except the CT.

I have a '16 IS, and the PCS and BSM where additional options. Good features here, PCS saved my *** a few times.
Wow, that is good to know. I just have the BSM/RCTA, but I do often wish for PCS. Makes an upgrade in the future seem worth it to get that feature standard.
Old 08-16-17, 11:50 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Wow, that is good to know. I just have the BSM/RCTA, but I do often wish for PCS. Makes an upgrade in the future seem worth it to get that feature standard.
Forgot to mention, if you have BSM you have RCTA; they use the same sensors.

As for PCS, it was a $500 option I think before the refresh. It was a no brainier for me lol
Old 08-16-17, 03:01 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this is my first car with BSM I have found it to quite useful. At my age, with my not being able to swivel around to the rear as quickly as I used to, it’s a great feature.
Old 08-17-17, 08:55 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Since you already have a camera, I wouldn't bother with getting sensors. But, if it really helps you, you can get a product like this:
Amazon Amazon

My other car doesn't have any park assist features (sensors or camera) so this is what I installed to prevent accidental bumper damage. Would be easier to hide the sensors on a dark colored car or black license plate frame.

Dealers tend to not want to install these safety items since they will take some liability for any malfunctions. They might do the sensors, but I haven't heard any dealers taking on installing BSM and LKA. You can try asking a body shop since they probably do it quite often. But like already mentioned, some safety items require additional systems to be installed and can become quite pricey.