Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Gen Lexus ES Spy shots !

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 03:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I would have hoped Lexus made a competitive proper sedan so they wouldn't have to take an extreme measure like this. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi all have success with their middle sedans. Now if they do go this route, it's going to leave a hole in their line-up. A better outcome would have been keep the GS as-is AND add a swoopier version. Audi checks all those boxes and it works.
A6 successful? I never see them. 5 and E rule the luxury midsize segment, everyone else is fighting for 3rd.
Old 08-19-17, 03:32 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Lexus probably noticed how the old four door coupish 3GS debuted in 2005 with 33,457 sales, then 27,390, then 23,381 before the Global Financial Crisis struck in September 2008, meanwhile the current taller, boxier and supposedly more practical 4GS debuted in 2012 with only 22,160 sales, with 19,472 the following year before picking up a little - so they're going back to the swoopy liftback-like look.

Why not? Such a four door coupe is supported by the more practical, spacious and soft riding stretched wheelbase front drive 7ES sedan...

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-19-17 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 03:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A6 successful? I never see them. 5 and E rule the luxury midsize segment, everyone else is fighting for 3rd.
It's a tough segment all the makers struggle with. I see a few new A6's, which is probably thanks to their very aggressive lease. The model is also on it's out, due to be replaced soon. I haven't seen too many new E classes yet. Or I could be seeing them and thinking they are a C Class. Not the greatest lease for those. I actually see more new GS's than all the above. SoCal is an interesting market.
Old 08-19-17, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I see A6s all the time.
Old 08-19-17, 04:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes the new A6s are everywhere in NYC especially the ones after refresh.
While im not a fan of Audi - they deserve a ton of credit of rebuilding their image in the US and now top to bottom being right there with MB and BMW with the # of different models and engine variants they offer.
Old 08-19-17, 04:51 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Not going to lie, the thought of a Lexus GS as a 4 door LC makes me very very very excited.

A 415hp twinturbo GS500 with LC styling could be in my future. Make it an F-sport version and its road presence could be insane.
Old 08-19-17, 04:53 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So, their logic is, if the GS is not selling, let's make it more expensive? Not sure that's a good strategy. They have already overpriced the GS-F, that did not turn out too well for the car.
Old 08-19-17, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Yes the new A6s are everywhere in NYC especially the ones after refresh.
While im not a fan of Audi - they deserve a ton of credit of rebuilding their image in the US and now top to bottom being right there with MB and BMW with the # of different models and engine variants they offer.
I agree 100%, Audi has really come back strong.

I actually like Audis a lot, poor leases keep me out of them.
Old 08-19-17, 09:45 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
So, their logic is, if the GS is not selling, let's make it more expensive? Not sure that's a good strategy. They have already overpriced the GS-F, that did not turn out too well for the car.
I think strategy is move into a segment that produces love volume and unique...A7 compared to A6, 6 series compared to 5, CLS, you get my drift
Old 08-19-17, 09:47 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Not going to lie, the thought of a Lexus GS as a 4 door LC makes me very very very excited.

A 415hp twinturbo GS500 with LC styling could be in my future. Make it an F-sport version and its road presence could be insane.
that would be a home run, 4 door LC styling with 400hp, sign me up. I'm excited to see what this will end up looking like.
Old 08-19-17, 10:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Lexus probably noticed how the old four door coupish 3GS debuted in 2005 with 33,457 sales, then 27,390, then 23,381 before the Global Financial Crisis struck in September 2008, meanwhile the current taller, boxier and supposedly more practical 4GS debuted in 2012 with only 22,160 sales, with 19,472 the following year before picking up a little - so they're going back to the swoopy liftback-like look.

Why not? Such a four door coupe is supported by the more practical, spacious and soft riding stretched wheelbase front drive 7ES sedan...
Also had something to do with the new spindle at the time too, just the beginnings so it was a bit off putting and looked a bit slapped on. Lexus nailed the interior though. The 5GS will be far more organic.

Sadly folks are going to overlook this post, but you sir are spot on. The 7ES will be pushed a bit further upmarket emphasizing like you said practical, spacious, luxurious and comfort principles. The 5LS and 5GS will also move up slightly, making room for 7ES and 4IS in the coming years. Also The 7ES will be one of the first to debut Apple CarPlay in a Lexus. If I could thank or like your post I would @peteharvey
Old 08-19-17, 10:21 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedozz
that would be a home run, 4 door LC styling with 400hp, sign me up. I'm excited to see what this will end up looking like.
The exciting thing is : all the probable components are already existing technology.

The GA-L platform and the LC that would form a basis for the new GS chassis are already in the market and the 415hp TT V6 that would power such a GS is already the base engine for the new upcoming LS500.

This isn't vaporware or empty speculation but just a matter of whether Akio Toyoda sees fit to give final approval to put together the separate parts into one compelling package.

Last edited by natnut; 08-19-17 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 10:40 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedozz

That would be awesome!

as for the audi,,.... do you still have to swap engine before you can make an oil change? lol...jk
Old 08-20-17, 09:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sadly folks are going to overlook this post...
why do you presume 'folks' are going to overlook pete's post?

also, others including me have said essentially the same thing, differentiate the gs from the es more.
Old 08-20-17, 12:46 PM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
When we read the press, we are often led to believe that the US firepower is markedly superior to that of the Russians and the Chinese.
However, in truth we humans are remarkably competitive, and remarkably similar.
The Russians and Chinese together with their SU-35's and J-10's have enough firepower to counter the US and its allies - leaving nothing but dust left on this planet.

In the same way, in the old days, photographers used to engage in great Canikon wars - Canon is better? No, Nikon is better? No, Canon is better? No, Nikon is better.
Today, photographers have matured, and they now realize that Canon and Nikon are both equally good, but in different ways.

Ditto the automotive industry.
The actual platform isn't really the same, but it uses the same basic core architecture and mounting points, so that different components can be used, and multiple different models can be assembled on the same factory line.

Before 1991, the Toyota Crown used to use the traditional "ladder" type chassis, similar to a bicycle.
However, by 1991 the Toyota Crown and its sporty sibling the Toyota Aristo/Lexus GS used a monocoque skin-stressed type chassis similar to an egg shell; this was called Toyota's N Platform, and it was used in the:
1) Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS
2) Toyota Mark II/X [nee Cressida for export markets]; the Mark Series is a special size of motor vehicle which is similar to the Nissan Skyline, and slots between the IS and GS for size so that it fits just under the Japanese 4.7 m long by 1.7 m wide tax bracket law, that was abolished by 1989.
3) Toyota Crown/Aristo/Lexus GS
4) Toyota Celsior/Lexus LS.

By around 2012, Toyota released the New N Platform used on the 4GS, 3IS and 1RC.
However, the Toyota's New N platform was short lived, because the next generation 5LS has moved onto the new TNGA platforms available in two variants:
1) GA-K for FWD-based applications used by the new Camry and forthcoming 7ES etc, and the
2) GA-L for RWD-based applications eg the new LC and 5LS etc.

It's the same story with the Germans.
Since around 2007, Audi has its MLB longitudinal mounted engine platform used in their A4/A5, A6/A7, and A8.
VW also has the MQB transverse mounted engine platform used in their Polo, Golf and Passats etc.

By 2013, Mercedes finally joined the bandwagon with their MRA Modular Rear Architecture platform first used in the current gen S and C Classes, and now in the E Class.
Mercedes also has an MFA platform for cheap FWD-based applications like the CLA.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...rms-78508.html
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...tforms-by-2015

BMW's not going to be outdone.
In 2015, the current generation 7 Series is using BMW's new global architecture platform called the OKL platform.
The all new 5 Series released in 2017 is also using BMW's OKL platform.
The forthcoming 2019-26 3 Series is also expected to use BMW's OKL global architecture platform.
BMW also has an UKL platform for cheap FWD-based applications; "UKL" for untere klasse meaning lower class.
"O" stands for obere meaning upper.

It's just like Canikon and the F-22 Raptor/F-35 Lightning - the Russian Sukhoi SU-35 and Chinese Chengdu J-10 are neck and neck - they are all equally good and devastating, but in different ways...

TMC doesn't just engineer and manufacture cars - they actually engineer and manufacture firstly and fore mostly for "their" own market.
That's why the Prius hybrid is Japan's best selling car in their domestic market with 249,000 units sold last year.
The best selling luxury car in Japan's domestic market is normally the Toyota Crown [similar to Lexus GS] which sold 39,000 units in Japan last year.
However, last year was an exception, in that the Toyota Harrier [similar to Lexus RX] upset the Toyota Crown to sell 41,000 units in the Japanese domestic market.

Outside of Japan, the second biggest market for TMC is the United States.
We must remember that while the Japanese domestic market has very much gone hybrid, in the US market, gasoline is relatively cheap, hence TMC is a late mover into small capacity turbos.
The TMC 2.0 turbo is here.
The 3.5L V6 TT is coming.
There will be a 4.0 V8 TT in time.
It is not natural for the Japanese to release products quickly onto the market, at the cost of refinement, reliability and durability.

On the other hand, the Europeans are different.
Europe is a tiny continent with a big population, such that Europe had to have diesels and small capacity turbos long ago.
Now, even Europe realizes that the diesel also has carcinogenic particulate [dust particle] emissions, such that even Europe is moving into hybrids and electrification.

Once again, it's not a case of TMC being better or worse, but different...

-
yes except, sony came out the clear winner of the canikon war.

Quick Reply: Next Gen Lexus ES Spy shots !