GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I hate that my car drives like Prius after I put Penzoil Platinum oil at 15K services

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 09:54 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrdonta
You can say that if you are also using exactly Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 in Silver bottle. I did not touch anything else beside oil only. If someone have used Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 and have no issue please let me and everyone know.
i used that oil. I tested all kinda oil brand, royal purple, amsoil, moble1 and penzoil ultra platinum. out of all the oil I like royal purple better and amsoil give ur car abit responsive but make ur mpg drop to 15. royal purple and moble1 give me almost near 18mpg and penzoil give me 16mpg. so im going back to royal purple when my oil change comes. I change my oil every 5k
Old 08-19-17, 10:34 PM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
i used that oil. I tested all kinda oil brand, royal purple, amsoil, moble1 and penzoil ultra platinum. out of all the oil I like royal purple better and amsoil give ur car abit responsive but make ur mpg drop to 15. royal purple and moble1 give me almost near 18mpg and penzoil give me 16mpg. so im going back to royal purple when my oil change comes. I change my oil every 5k
Thank you for sharing your experience and it seems oil does make difference in performance and MPG definitely.
Old 08-20-17, 06:39 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Good call on Royal Purple. My cars always get Royal Purple HPS variation of the oil. You should run it out to 10K miles though. Royal Purple is capable of doing that without breaking a sweat regardless if you drive mostly city or highway!
Old 08-20-17, 09:09 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

I've used those oils too.

Amsoil gave me 10 mpg, but my driving had a whole lot of stop-n-go traffic (Test only lasted 15 miles)
Penzoil Ultra gave me 14 mpg, but I drove aggressively a lot during the test (Test only lasted 47 miles)
Royal Purple gave me 15 mpg, but I was stuck in stopped traffic it seemed like all the time (Test only lasted 59 miles)
Mobil 1 gave me 18 mpg, with less than 10 WOT runs up to 100 mph (Test only lasted 99 miles)
Recycled No Name oil (imported from India) gave me 23 mpg highway driving at 70 mph (Test only lasted 7 miles, then the engine locked-up)

So, I'll be going back to recycled oil when my next oil change comes - after I get my engine rebuilt...

PS - I love scientifically controlled tests...

Last edited by bclexus; 08-21-17 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 10:45 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Not commenting about the performance at all. Did not see any comments about it here, but about the Penzoil Ultra Platinum, for those that do not know, and others.

Some data is better than no data, keep in mind the data is with a High Performance engine.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Last edited by jgscott; 08-20-17 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-21-17, 06:30 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Not commenting about the performance at all. Did not see any comments about it here, but about the Penzoil Ultra Platinum, for those that do not know, and others.

Some data is better than no data, keep in mind the data is with a High Performance engine.

You're right some data is better than no data but when the data is wrong some data is not better than no data
Old 08-21-17, 08:31 AM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Penzoil Ultra is one of the best oils out there. I have used it exclusively since I've owned the car. All good here.
Old 08-21-17, 11:02 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrdonta
Everyone here has knowledge about engine and oil which is why I am here to share experience and learn something we may knew it was right yesterday but no longer true today or in the future.
If you have read my posts carefully then you would not ask me why I use the same oil. I did not use the same oil since the first one was Penzoil Platinum 0w-20 and the second one was Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20. I assume Ultra word stand for something different that Penzoil is doing to its oil ( hopefully it is not just label) and I just want to learn why EFI reset solved issue with Penzoil Platinum NOT with Penzil Ultra Platinum. If we lucky enough then we may have someone share their own experience of GS 13 to 17 with Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20. BTW, the guy who is taking my car knows what he is doing since he is my high school friend and 20 years experience as mechanic who I know he is best mechanic not because he said he the best but other knows him or works with him always comment that he is very talented mechanic.
My apologies, I did miss the Ultra. But, it does not change my statement that the oil cannot be causing the issues you are stating if in fact the weight of the oil meets the specifications that Lexus requires.
Old 08-21-17, 04:58 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I've refrained from responding to this thread, but cannot resist any longer. I too believe that there is no way the oil is causing the problems. I am also rather cynical about "improved MPG" with better oil. If the viscosity is the same, the MPG will be within 1% with different brands. My GS regularly returns 28MPG on the highway...so I may notice a 0.28 difference in the number of miles per gallon. There are SO MANY other factors - speed, tire pressure, ambient temperature, altitude, number of passengers...all will impact the MPG and performance more than a different brand of oil (assuming all the oils have the same viscosity rating).

If you really think that there is a big difference between Platinum and Ultra Platinum, you'll be disappointed. It's just a marketing ploy, be realistic.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...l-economy-oils

When I get my car serviced, I usually do NOT use the Dealership. One of the local "quick lube" places gets my business. I usually fill up the tank at the adjacent gas station and the oil change includes a free deluxe car wash. If my car's performance seemed to be impacted, there's a far better chance it would be bad gas and/or some type of mishap from the car wash. Or as a previous Poster mentioned, perhaps something was knocked loose and/or not refastened properly during the oil service. I have witnessed all kinds of disassembly take place (air filter box, intake tube to throttle body, etc.)...that's where you should focused.

There's something else wrong with your car - it's not the oil.
Old 08-21-17, 05:26 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I've refrained from responding to this thread, but cannot resist any longer. I too believe that there is no way the oil is causing the problems. I am also rather cynical about "improved MPG" with better oil. If the viscosity is the same, the MPG will be within 1% with different brands. My GS regularly returns 28MPG on the highway...so I may notice a 0.28 difference in the number of miles per gallon. There are SO MANY other factors - speed, tire pressure, ambient temperature, altitude, number of passengers...all will impact the MPG and performance more than a different brand of oil (assuming all the oils have the same viscosity rating).

If you really think that there is a big difference between Platinum and Ultra Platinum, you'll be disappointed. It's just a marketing ploy, be realistic.

When I get my car serviced, I usually do NOT use the Dealership. One of the local "quick lube" places gets my business. I usually fill up the tank at the adjacent gas station and the oil change includes a free deluxe car wash. If my car's performance seemed to be impacted, there's a far better chance it would be bad gas and/or some type of mishap from the car wash. Or as a previous Poster mentioned, perhaps something was knocked loose and/or not refastened properly during the oil service. I have witnessed all kinds of disassembly take place (air filter box, intake tube to throttle body, etc.)...that's where you should focused.

Completely agree.
Old 08-21-17, 06:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Completely agree.
I also completely agree.
Old 08-21-17, 06:23 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Food for thought.... You could take a 4th Gen GS, change the car with the correct amount of the absolute CHEAPEST OIL that WalMart sells in the correct grade and I'm sure it would run just fine. It might not be good for the motor over the long term in terms of wear, etc, but it's not going to screw the car up so much that it would be noticeable in that way right after the oil change. . Something else is definitely "afoot" here.

-Mike
Old 08-21-17, 07:53 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
You're right some data is better than no data but when the data is wrong some data is not better than no data
NACAR Engine builders trust him, but you say its wrong data? Waiting to read your test.

People on Internet discussions argue endlessly over the merits or lack thereof, of these oil Groups, to try and determine which oil type is best to use. But, with my Engineering tests, you can bypass all that debate, and go directly to the results of how oils you find on Auto Parts Store shelves, actually perform when put to the test. My testing is a dynamic friction test under load, similar to how an engine dyno test is a dynamic HP/Torque test under load. Both tests show how their subjects truly perform in the real world, no matter what Brand names are involved, no matter what outrageous claims may have been made, and no matter what their spec sheets say.

The resulting breakthrough data used in the Wear Protection Ranking List is NOT my opinion, and it is NOT my theory. The data is the result of the Physics and Chemistry involved in the testing. I am only the messenger. The Science is what tells us how these oils perform. And no one can argue with Physics and Chemistry.

In addition to this, a NASCAR team sent me three high zinc synthetic Mobil 1 Racing Oils for testing, because they were having wear problems when using these oils (more on that below). Lab Report Data from testing performed on these oils by Professional Lab, “ALS Tribology” in Sparks, Nevada, showed that on average, these oils contained 1774 ppm zinc, 1658 ppm phosphorus, and 1444 ppm moly. And because these were all high zinc oils, most folks would “assume” that they’d provide sufficient wear protection. However, the results of my testing showed that these oils only provided POOR WEAR PROTECTION CAPABILITY. So, they were NOT a good choice for their racing application, which confirmed why they had wear problems. This is yet another perfect example of what I’ve been saying about high zinc levels being NO GUARENTEE of adequate wear protection. And this example clearly showed once again that my test data EXACTLY MATCHED what this race team had experienced on the track

Those who are familiar with my test data, know that my test results came up with the exact same results stated by all four of those independent sources. So, this is an example where motor oil “Dynamic Wear Testing Under Load” using oil testing equipment, engine dyno testing, Motor Oil Industry testing, and proper motor oil research using only the facts, from a total of five (including my own) independent sources, all converged to agree and come to the same exact conclusion. Back-up validation proof, doesn’t get any better than this.

SECTION 4 – COMPONENT QUANTITY LAB TEST RESULTS
All the component quantity Lab test results shown below, were taken from brand new, thoroughly shaken bottles of oil. And all tests were performed at ALS Tribology, in Sparks, Nevada. Having all the oils tested by the same Lab, makes this the most consistent and reliable information you will ever find, for this many oil to oil comparisons.
Most motor oils contain more zinc than phosphorus, but that is not always the case. A good percentage of motor oils are formulated to contain more phosphorus than zinc. It just depends on what the Chemical Engineers decided they needed for any particular oil. So, you will find some oils below that show more phosphorus than zinc. And those values are correct, they are NOT typos.
If you’ve read Section 1 – Motor Oil “Wear Protection” Ranking List, of this Blog, you know that the amount of zinc/phos, does NOT determine an oil’s wear protection capability. Because it is physically impossible for more zinc/phos to provide more wear protection. Zinc/phos does NOT work that way. More zinc/phos simply takes longer to become depleted, since there was more to begin with. It is much like the way more gas in your tank will take longer to run out, but more gas in your tank will NOT make more power.
But, many people incorrectly believe you need high levels of zinc/phos for adequate wear protection in High Performance engines, simply because they have always been told that, read that or heard that. Amazingly, they’ve blindly accepted that notion with NO PROOF what so ever. And unfortunately for them, that line of thinking is nothing more than an old wives’ tale MYTH that took on a life of its own, because it kept being repeated over and over for years and years. But, repeating wrong folklore over and over, does NOT make it magically become true.
Engineering tests have BUSTED that old high zinc/phos myth. And that test data has PROVEN beyond any doubt, that the idea of all high zinc/phos oils providing adequate wear protection, is simply NOT TRUE. The fact is, some high zinc/phos oils provide excellent wear protection, while other high zinc/phos oils provide poor wear protection. And you simply CANNOT tell from an oil’s Lab print out, which one is which, just by looking at the amount of zinc/phos.

However, some people just can’t accept that they have been off-track all these years about zinc/phos, and choose to ignore the Engineering test data FACTS. Sadly, they insist on clinging to their old false beliefs about needing high levels of zinc/phos, and in so doing, they are putting their engine, and by extension, the engines of others, at risk for no good reason.
Also, some high zinc/phos believers even get emotional and nasty about all this. But, they can never back-up anything they say with actual facts. And no amount of hostility or verbal attacks, will change the Engineering FACTS. Engineering does NOT work that way. My Engineering testing does not involve pre-conceived notions or emotion. It is all performed Professionally, and I report the results just as they are determined by the Physics and Chemistry involved, good or bad. In other words, I back-up everything I say with hard FACTUAL test data.
This is the 21st Century, and we now have correct Engineering test data FACTS available, so that we can finally make informed decisions about motor oil selection, that was not available before. Technology marches on. People can embrace it, and make use of it to their advantage, or they can be left behind to continue making poor motor oil choices.

In fact, incorrect choices of poor performing high zinc/phos motor oils, is the primary reason why flat tappet wiped lobes are still a problem, whether during break-in or after. But, choosing a high performing motor oil from my Motor Oil Wear Protection “Ranking List”, which is based on oil film strength load carrying capability, rather than on the amount of zinc/phos, can make wiped lobes and complicated break-in procedures a thing of the past.
In addition to that, not only are high levels of zinc/phos no guarantee of providing sufficient wear protection, but too much zinc/phos can actually DAMAGE your engine. Oil industry testing has found that motor oils with more than 1,400 ppm ZDDP, INCREASED long-term wear. And it was also found that motor oils with more than 2,000 ppm ZDDP started attacking the grain boundaries in the iron, resulting in camshaft spalling. The ZDDP value is the average of the zinc and phosphorus values, rounded to the next lowest 100 ppm increment.
Old 08-21-17, 08:13 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

@jgscott Could you please let us know your Motor Oil Wear Protection ranking list?
Old 08-21-17, 11:34 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Here is a thread the OP might find relevant: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...be-solved.html

Quick Reply: I hate that my car drives like Prius after I put Penzoil Platinum oil at 15K services