Loaner SST / TB job questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 05:25 AM
checkler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loaner SST / TB job questions

Hello-

New to the board and recently purchased a 2003 LS430 with 173k on the clock.

1) I am going to be doing the timing belt and saw the SST tools needed for the crankshaft removal. Does the board have a tool loan/lending section? If not, does anyone have the SST Schley-SCH64300 (
Amazon Amazon
) or similar that they would be willing to loan/lend?

2) I saw the posts about using the starter bump...my question is, if I use that method...how do I torque back on? I assumed the SST is to prevent the pulley from moving while applying the proper torque with a torque wrench?

3) While doing the timing belt...did others replace the radiator? I saw some mention doing this with 4runners with similar mileage, but wasn't sure if the LS430 was in a similar situation? OE (Denso) or other brand?

4) Coolant flush...is there a preferred method for flushing the coolant? I was going to drain the rad...then run distilled water through the rad and then replace with the world fluid (red) that comes undiluted.

5) Cam shaft seals...I saw some other engine types where you can remove the cam pulleys and using a tool, remove the cam shaft seals. It appears that this isn't possible in the ls430...is that correct? You must remove the cover and cams and then replace the seals?

Thanks for any help and suggestions...looking forward to being part of the community and contributing where/when I can.
I am in the Columbus, OH area...so if anyone wants to meet up...let me know.
Old 08-21-17, 09:31 AM
bradland

Received 673 Likes on 549 Posts

I'm a little short on time this AM but I'd like to address No. 2 real quick...
The SST looks good in theory BUT there's still a tremendous amount of torque you must overcome to get the pulley bolt loose. I'd hate to spend $60 + on a tool that may only work with 2 VERY long breaker bars. When I say long I mean nothing shorter than 3'. You may be able to get by with 1 shorter BB angled down similar to the starter bump method but the tool you lean on to do the job must be a monster to generate enough torque. Everyone's car and situation is slightly different but I've personally done the TB job 3 times on 2 different cars. The first time (Silver LS) I used an impact gun, second time (Silver LS) the bump method, and the 3rd time (Black 99 LS) my Snap On 1/2" drive impact gun didn't cut it (sometimes this thing just wont budge!) so I resorted to the bump method. 1st bump quickly broke a Crafstman 1/2" dr breaker bar. I begrudgingly put my Snap-On 24" breaker bar on and it worked fine.

Long story short- the tool may work just fine, but it's not a magical key you simply insert and turn.
Old 08-22-17, 05:59 AM
checkler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback..how about re-install? Did you use a impact gun starter bump in reverse to start the bolt and torque wrench to finish?
Old 08-22-17, 06:39 PM
bradland

Definitely use a torque wrench. Most auto parts stores, like Autozone and O'Reilly's, have loaner programs.

I'd be afraid an impact would take it past the torque spec. Then how would you ever how much torque it applied? There are several ways to secure the pulley when re torquing the pic is 1 example. If you wait until everything is buttoned up you have the combined tension of both the timing belt and the serpentine belt working in your favor. Applying the specified torque to the pulley bolt is much more user friendly than breaking it loose !
Old 08-24-17, 02:52 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland

Definitely use a torque wrench. Most auto parts stores, like Autozone and O'Reilly's, have loaner programs.

I'd be afraid an impact would take it past the torque spec. Then how would you ever how much torque it applied? There are several ways to secure the pulley when re torquing the pic is 1 example. If you wait until everything is buttoned up you have the combined tension of both the timing belt and the serpentine belt working in your favor. Applying the specified torque to the pulley bolt is much more user friendly than breaking it loose !
DO NOT use your starter as an impact wrench...you will shorten it's life.

Buy the Schley tool($60) and rent or borrow breaker bars.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/863812-stop-using-your-starter-as-an-impact-wrench.html
Old 08-24-17, 02:54 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by checkler
Hello-

New to the board and recently purchased a 2003 LS430 with 173k on the clock.

1) I am going to be doing the timing belt and saw the SST tools needed for the crankshaft removal. Does the board have a tool loan/lending section? If not, does anyone have the SST Schley-SCH64300 (https://www.amazon.com/Schley-SCH643...rmonic-Holding) or similar that they would be willing to loan/lend?

2) I saw the posts about using the starter bump...my question is, if I use that method...how do I torque back on? I assumed the SST is to prevent the pulley from moving while applying the proper torque with a torque wrench?

3) While doing the timing belt...did others replace the radiator? I saw some mention doing this with 4runners with similar mileage, but wasn't sure if the LS430 was in a similar situation? OE (Denso) or other brand?

4) Coolant flush...is there a preferred method for flushing the coolant? I was going to drain the rad...then run distilled water through the rad and then replace with the world fluid (red) that comes undiluted.

5) Cam shaft seals...I saw some other engine types where you can remove the cam pulleys and using a tool, remove the cam shaft seals. It appears that this isn't possible in the ls430...is that correct? You must remove the cover and cams and then replace the seals?

Thanks for any help and suggestions...looking forward to being part of the community and contributing where/when I can.
I am in the Columbus, OH area...so if anyone wants to meet up...let me know.
P.M. me on tool or labor.

I live in Chicago.
Old 08-24-17, 03:51 PM
bradland

YODA I agree with you 100% the starter bump method is not healthy for the starter. Albeit VERY effective in this often imperfect world we live in. The Schley tool looks very handy and well made but most breaker bars are 18" long. I have a 24" Snap-On that I wouldn't trade for the world. The tool will require, as I'm sure you know, at least two 24" bars to be effective. A simple 1/2" drive ratchet coupled with the very common 18" long breaker bar aren't going to cut it. Buying two 25" breaker bars from Harbor Freight MIGHT get the job done but I wouldn't count on it. Like I said previously the Schley tool is not a magical key. It requires additional tools most people don't have in their tool box.
It's nice to see you check in on the 430 side occasionally. I enjoy all your contributions on the 400 side and make sure to read every one you post. Thank you!

Last edited by bradland; 08-24-17 at 04:26 PM.