Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's Next for Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 06:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Hopefully the Precision Concept is what's next.

https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/precision-concept

That was shown in early 2016 so they should be close on this one.

I concur that a new mill is in order. Perhaps a decontented version of my NSX motor (ok, unlikely) with a RWD platform.
The NSX engine costs a fortune to make, it is more or less a race engine tuned for the street, doubt it will be shared with any other Acura unless it is another $100K sports car.

I hope they do a RWD platform and new 6 cylinder family though, they have to.
Old 08-29-17, 06:28 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

On NSX prime, we have a dealership based NSX tech and if I read him correctly, we can expect a toned down version of the NSX motor in the future.

To your point, my NSX motor has Cosworth heads. Honda had to help those folks up their production, as they are used to operating in quaint workshop mode.
Old 08-29-17, 06:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This happened with my BMW, it came in on a Friday morning, pouring rain, so I said I would pick it up Sat. morning. They explained that it would likely have 1 mile more on the odometer as they would have to store it down the road at the Mini dealership (they have since renovated so even serviced vehicles remain inside overnight), would that be ok? I told them no, I do not want excessive mileage so kindly trailer it enclosed, because I don't want it getting wet, if they were shipped from port covered, they need to remain covered until I pick it up. j/k, but it did have an extra mile on it the next day, not much I could do about that.
Nice story!!!!
Old 08-29-17, 09:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
It is still a great engine though, way better then a turbo 4 cylinder. I would take the J series over the new turbo 4's replacing 6 cylinders any day. They do need a new 6 cylinder with some significant power upgrades but the J series is still very competitive and superior to most NA 6 cylinders and even some turbo 6 cylinders these days.
I agree, I think it's a great engine. And it would be nice to see V6's stick around and give doses of refinement where everyone else's four cylinders sound tinny.
I don't think engines are Acuras problems. In order, their problems would be styling, size, price, and dated interiors. Getting rid of the heavy bar grille was the first move in the right direction. Adding tacky chrome all over the TLX and new RL was a new mistake. They need to keep a sporty image and chrome is not sporty in the slightest.
Old 08-30-17, 12:06 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree, I think it's a great engine. And it would be nice to see V6's stick around and give doses of refinement where everyone else's four cylinders sound tinny.
I don't think engines are Acuras problems. In order, their problems would be styling, size, price, and dated interiors. Getting rid of the heavy bar grille was the first move in the right direction. Adding tacky chrome all over the TLX and new RL was a new mistake. They need to keep a sporty image and chrome is not sporty in the slightest.
I totally agree.
It's mainly the styling.
Then the size.
Finally the price.

However, focus on Acura's biggest deficiencies in the past 15 years - that would have to be the styling.
The 1998-2003 2nd Generation Acura TL [Honda Saber JDM] was the last decent looking Acura midsize luxury car.
Provided that everything else is half decent - styling sells...

Presently, the only good looking Acura is the NSX II...

Acura's all new "A" shaped grill looks terrible IMO.
The NSX II doesn't use the "A" shaped grill at all...

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-30-17 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 09:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Most people really liked the 3rd Gen TL from 2004-2008. The first and second Gen TSX were nice. The 2nd Gen RL was nice looking, had a really nice interior that was best in class. I think the current TLX is a nice looking car, just wish they made it larger and it had a better interior. The RLX is a nice looking car. The 4th Gen TL with a aftermarket grill and bigger wheels looks good too, I see a lot on the road.

I don't think the styling is Acura's biggest problem or price except for the RLX. I think they just need some unique platforms and products not shared with Honda's and the interiors need some work but they still offer a lot of car for the money in most cases.
Old 08-30-17, 01:59 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

1) Keep the sedans where they are. I dont project Acura to reinvent the sedan market right now nor does any mfg without a strong sales history
2) Bolster their CUVs with some much more divided and spaced out segments. In addition, since the money is here right now, sit in the new CR-V and Civics and see how to outdue their best spec models cause the material quality at least by initial perception is SOO MUCH BETTER.
3) Skip the dual infotainment screen interface. Adopt a SINGLE GINORMOUS Screen like the new porsches have done and maybe copy their button centric way of mind. Touchscreens are back, something Acura has done well in the past with, so bring those back. Dont copy anyone else, use ur previous UIs masters to skip to the front of the infotainment game.
4) Bring up QC control in their lineup. Misaligned panels dont please anyone after paying $50k on their vehicles
5) Offer SH-AWD the legit one or maybe a better version on all their models as an option at the very least. One of the pioneering tech game changers that everyone is jumping onto now.
6) Design better transmissions....please
Old 08-30-17, 03:04 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Acura should make SH-AWD standard across the entire line. Market the crap out of it as a warm fuzzy safety sort of thing. This strategy worked for Subaru. You need to play to your strengths Acura, right now SH-AWD is one of the best systems on the market, AWD cars and SUV's are hot(have been for a while now). The reason is people are paranoid, once again its safety, not performance that is selling AWD. Mom doesn't want to get stuck in a blizzard with little Johnny and freeze to death on the side of the road. Mom could care less that SH-AWD shaves 0.3 of a second off her 0-60 time in her new MDX, or that it helps reduce understeer when pushed hard into a corner(which mom will never do).

SH-AWD should have been made standard across the whole Acura line years ago when it came out. Also marketing to enthusiasts is a dead end road for Acura IMO. Don't sell SH-AWD as race derived, as found on the new NSX supercar and now your new MDX SUV that you are actually going to buy. There just is no direct translation, especially since your cars like the MDX and TSX don't drive/perform any better than the competition, why market them as sporty/performance oriented, when they are not.

Like I said, marketing to enthusiasts is a dead end. Even when you have the best chassis in the industry(Cadillac), those enthusiasts are only in the automotive magazines, nobody has actually been buying Cadillacs. And Acura doesn't even have a proper chassis to claim they are performance/enthusiast oriented IMO.
Old 08-30-17, 03:20 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
They should close up shop imo.
Each of the Hondas - Civic, Accord, CRV, Pilot is better in many respects than the Acura equivalent.

The new RLX is a disaster.

If I was running Acura - I would make SHAWD standard for each model.

They messed up SHAWD too. In the name of weight reduction, dual clutch >> single clutch
10 speed tranny fiasco. Used to be long time Acura driver, since they moved to plant to Alabama
build quality dropped.

Then I would fire every single designer and hire a new team.
Then I would completely redesign the Multimedia interface which is beyond dated.

I'd see it become single display than dual display unit

Last - I would drop the price on the NSX by $50k by introducing a model without the hybrid BS.
They have two motors for real wheels in their hybrid vs. single motor in Lexus RX. I like that idea. RX hybrid
is bad in snow mode. Not much of an AWD.
Old 08-30-17, 05:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
They have two motors for real wheels in their hybrid vs. single motor in Lexus RX. I like that idea. RX hybrid
is bad in snow mode. Not much of an AWD.
I was worried taking my Highlander Hybrid into the mountains because of comments like this but it performed incredibly in 10" of snow and ice. It did a great job and next time I won't hesitate.

Last edited by JDR76; 08-30-17 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-30-17, 05:58 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
I was worried taking my Highlander Hybrid into the mountains because of comments like this but it performed incredibly in 10" of snow and ice. It did a great job and next time I won't hesitate.
Of course I am in Calgary AB, Chinook belt. SH-AWD controls 4 wheel independently. One motor can't do this.
We have to cope with deep snow, melting slush when Chinook comes, then frozen road surface in the winter.
MDX with SH-AWD was much better. I think regular RX would do better too, it has locking differential. I think
Subaru AWD and Audi Quattro is good AWD system. Bimmer's X-drive is not much. Of course better than nothing, just
not much effective.
Old 08-30-17, 07:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The regular RX wasn't better in my experience. The Acura system is better no doubt, but my Highlander handled snow with ease, thankfully. We almost took the GS because it handles snow so well and I was worried about the hybrid capabilities but thankfully my concerns were unwarranted.

Your Chinooks in Calgary are something else.
Old 08-30-17, 07:37 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

All in all, with different vehicles we all need driving attitude adjustment. If you thought regular RX vs. hybrid, there was not much different I don't know what to say.
If I can still drive in 2019 when new generation Porsche Cayenne comes out I want to at least test drive it. I can still have a spin on the track with my son's Bimmer M3.
Also in winter all cars in the family have winter tires on their own rim.
Old 08-30-17, 08:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Anyway...back to Acura...
Old 09-02-17, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Anyway...back to Acura...

Well, here's something I haven't seen before......an A-Spec package for the ILX.

https://www.acura.com/ilx