GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 09:14 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmanb777
Paying the "Toyota tax" is usually a tuff one. When you look at it, more often than not, they want so much for the used one, that it makes sense to buy new. I'm not a new car buyer, always let the other guy pay that huge depreciation on the new. But with Toyota, its hard to find a used at a proper price. So new makes sense. Do the math, depreciation and miles and year, and compare it to new. After doing that a bit, we bought new. Even harder on the more popular models, like 4 Runner, or Tacoma, and the LX/Land cruiser. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm also a "used car" buyer but I agree on these vehicles, it's tough to make a case to buy a 2-3 year old one, at least the prices in my area, It was just close enough in price that an extra $8,000 for new seemed like a no brainer.
The 4Runner is even worse, I couldn't believe what people were asking for those or why anyone would buy used.

The Toyota tax though is nice when you go to sell.

My wife and I were also looking at the Infiniti QX80, and those depreciated much faster and I would have wanted to be a used car buyer for that particular model.
Old 03-28-17, 05:23 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had an IS350 and now a 2012 GX460 which I purchased as certified(both had extended warranties). A true Lexus warranty is great if you are going to buy one. My dealer has seemingly always gone to bat to get things done and I felt I have gotten good value.

One other thing to consider on a "certified Lexus" is that maintenance is included for 2 years 20k miles. For me the GX 60k service came during that period and saved me about $900. I found, when shopping, that the certified GX's weren't that much more than what many private party owners were asking in my area.

I'm not promoting purchasing a warranty but I am promoting buying a "Lexus backed" warranty if you are going to get one.
The following users liked this post:
NoRegrets1 (03-29-17)
Old 06-21-17, 12:42 PM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought a 48 month 60,000 mile warranty offered through my credit union when I bought my 2011 GX 460 having 77,000 miles on it.
That takes me up to almost 140,000 and year 11 in vehicle life!
Cost was $2,200 added into my loan at 2.9 % for 66 months.

So I'll be "naked" for the last 18 months of the loan to repair costs.
Old 06-21-17, 03:36 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by GB2011GX
I bought a 48 month 60,000 mile warranty offered through my credit union when I bought my 2011 GX 460 having 77,000 miles on it.
That takes me up to almost 140,000 and year 11 in vehicle life!
Cost was $2,200 added into my loan at 2.9 % for 66 months.

So I'll be "naked" for the last 18 months of the loan to repair costs.

You may want to check fine print to ensure gasket leaks are covered. Some don't cover leaks after 80-100k miles on used vehicles.
Old 09-17-17, 06:30 AM
joindy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will adding airbags void L Certified warranty

Will be towing 3500 lbs on regular basis and would like Luxury air suspension system, but will probably have .{still shopping}... base without. Airbags would be very helpful, but don't want to jeopardize the L certified warranty. Any thoughts on this warranty issue?

Also, if you install a system, can you inflate it without crawling under vehicle? I would think best ride, if not towing, would be to use the regular suspension and it was engineered for comfort. This would require releasing air, and then pumping air based on type of driving. Do some aftermarket systems have easy method to control air pressure? And if you have such a system, can you inflate with a small, portable 12 volt pump, or do you need higher pressure pump? Perhaps some aftermarket systems have a dedicated pump which can be installed?? But again, could this void the warranty?
Old 09-17-17, 07:09 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

It would probably be the same as any auto warranty... if the dealer could somehow prove the mod caused the failure it wouldn't be covered. This would then be limited to the rear springs and those don't exactly break everyday unless really abused. However, if you went with an onboard power inflator and tied into electrical ....always a risk point there if work was done poorly.

The manual inflators I have seen are like this and usually inflators are mounted somewhere under the rear bumper or perhaps near the hitch.

Here is a good example of manual inflator install on a Prado.

Old 09-17-17, 07:12 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Old 09-17-17, 07:17 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Just a generic example but if you want internal control a kit like this would be what you would want.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
joindy (09-17-17)
Old 09-17-17, 07:40 AM
joindy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input. I have been online and finding lots of info on these systems. The comment about the onboard compressor....being connected to your electrical system, sounds like that could be an issue with warranty, but if I installed the system which required inflation from external air pump, seems like should not void any warranty? Also looks like some systems have air line that can be attached below bumper for easy access for filling. I noticed some of the systems detect trailer load and automatically inflate, but I would be fine with manual system. But would need to know if can inflate with 12 volt pump which I could carry onboard...but these are often not high psi.....so are bags easy to pump up with small pump, or do you need to go to service station.
Old 09-17-17, 08:17 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

IMO.. external inflation setup should be of least of concern and far less to go wrong. One nice thing about an aftermarket setup of bags within the springs is failure is more of inconvenience than a serious vehicle malfunction. You should be able to inflate fine with a 12V pump. Not sure of inflation time. You could always pick up a portable air tank if inflation time was too long.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-gall...ank-65594.html

Last edited by Acrad; 09-17-17 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-12-17, 10:56 AM
hockeymom3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your warranty? Negotiable?

Hi - trying to get all my research in before going in to purchase?!* Curious as to what most people have as their warranty for a 2017 GX? Were you able to negotiate anything more than what was initially offered? Do they try to get more out of you after you negotiate your car sale with additional warranty coverage? I just want to be prepared . . .

Thanks in advance -
Old 10-12-17, 02:53 PM
BradTank
Racer

Depends on the dealership and salesperson whether they will try and make that sales pitch. Mine did not.

At least to my knowledge, you can always buy an extended factory warranty after the sale of the car and from a different Lexus dealer, as long as it's before the expiration of the original factory warranty. So you have time to think about it.

Most people(including me) will probably tell you its not a very good value to buy an extended warranty as very little issues crop up in that time period and most of the money spent is on items that are not covered anyway and are considered wear and tear items like brakes, tires, fluids, filters, etc.
Old 10-12-17, 06:30 PM
hockeymom3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Depends on the dealership and salesperson whether they will try and make that sales pitch. Mine did not.

At least to my knowledge, you can always buy an extended factory warranty after the sale of the car and from a different Lexus dealer, as long as it's before the expiration of the original factory warranty. So you have time to think about it.

Most people(including me) will probably tell you its not a very good value to buy an extended warranty as very little issues crop up in that time period and most of the money spent is on items that are not covered anyway and are considered wear and tear items like brakes, tires, fluids, filters, etc.

Thanks - that's actually really helpful!
Old 10-12-17, 07:29 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I got the 7 years powertrain warranty for less than half of the offering price. I initially refused and the lady asked me how much I would be willing to pay for it. I told her a number and they accepted .

It looks like in our area it is pretty negotiable.

Edit: Not powertrain only, it is the extended warranty that covers everything up to 7 years 100k miles.

Last edited by NewB2Lexus; 10-13-17 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-12-17, 07:51 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
I got the 7 years powertrain warranty for less than half of the offering price. I initially refused and the lady asked me how much I would be willing to pay for it. I told her a number and they accepted .

It looks like in our area it is pretty negotiable.

So Lexus comes standard with a 6 year/ 70k mile powertrain warranty.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...urces/warranty

How much extra did you pay for that additional year of coverage?

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?