LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY...the step by step telescopic steering write-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-17, 09:08 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Default New Telescopic motor source

Well, root cause of my telescopic woes turned out to be the motor. I guess no surprise there. I was a little hesitant to cough up the $305 + shipping for a 89232-50050 motor so I started doing a little Googling and found a source out of the United Arab Emirates that was selling them for $230.74 + $12.24 shipping via eBay. I like to vet people I'm thinking of purchasing from and always go to look at their feedback ratings. In this case, the seller had an outstanding feedback record for the amount of stuff that he sells. Always a good sign. Better yet, I found out a new part number for a Toyota motor that he had recently sold: 89232-60022 at a price that was $25 less than the motor I needed for the LS430.

After some intensive searching I came across this excellent thread over in the IH8MUD forum started by a fellow that owns a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser. When you look at the photos you can see that the tilt & telescopic system used in that vehicle looks identical to the one in ours. More important to me, he also included some pictures of the inside of his motor that he had taken apart to clean. The photo I was most interested in though was the one showing the part number of the circuit board used inside the motor. This turned out to be the same one used in the motor that I opened up. This told me that the motors were identical and the only difference was in the wire harness used to interface the motor with the vehicle.

So I went and ordered the motor from the source in the UAE on a Wednesday night and the following Monday it was at my front door. Total price was $204.41 + $12.25 for shipping. Considering where it came from I was highly impressed with the speed of the delivery. Thanks FedEx!

Here are a couple of photos of the part. Everything seemed on the up and up as I had visions of Chinese made knockoff parts dancing in my head as I opened the box. I was a little surprised by the blob of shipping tape around the part but I suspect that the vendor just wanted to make sure that the bubble wrap that he used was well secured.

DIY...the step by step telescopic steering write-up-telescopic-box.jpg

DIY...the step by step telescopic steering write-up-telescopic-packing.jpg

Here is a picture of the harness and mounting bracket from my old motor attached to the new one. The harness on the right is what shipped on the motor.

DIY...the step by step telescopic steering write-up-motor-with-original-harness.jpg

I found that it was easier to mount the motor back into the car when I removed one 10mm bolt holding the HVAC vent right next to where the TS motor goes. With that shifted out of the way I could then screw the motor in place while facing it from the front instead of trying to do it while lying on my back. As mentioned in other posts on this thread, I made sure to extend the motor out before I reconnected the nut and clamp back onto the column. As expected, the telescopic feature now works like a champ.

Some additional comments that I have: It wasn't until I started looking at my system initially that I was able to determine that my steering wheel was stuck in the farthest out position, (i.e., closest to the driver). With the tilt function still functional, I found that I could easily live with the telescopic portion not working. Its in my nature however that I like everything to work in my cars. So that's why I decided to replace the motor.

For those of you that do not want to spend the money to replace the motor I found out that there is another alternative that one could use to get manual functionality of the telescopic system: just remove the clamp holding the nut to the steering column. You will find that you can then manually move the column using your hands. It does take quite a bit of force to do this and its the only reason I would suggest doing this as I'm sure many will claim that its going to be unsafe to drive around in that condition. All I can tell you is that I drove my car around like that for well over a week and never had a problem doing so. It takes that much force to move the column. As always YMMV...
The following users liked this post:
imdking (09-19-17)
Old 09-17-17, 10:13 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Well, root cause of my telescopic woes turned out to be the motor. I guess no surprise there. I was a little hesitant to cough up the $305 + shipping for a 89232-50050 motor so I started doing a little Googling and found a source out of the United Arab Emirates that was selling them for $230.74 + $12.24 shipping via eBay. I like to vet people I'm thinking of purchasing from and always go to look at their feedback ratings. In this case, the seller had an outstanding feedback record for the amount of stuff that he sells. Always a good sign. Better yet, I found out a new part number for a Toyota motor that he had recently sold: 89232-60022 at a price that was $25 less than the motor I needed for the LS430.

After some intensive searching I came across this excellent thread over in the IH8MUD forum started by a fellow that owns a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser. When you look at the photos you can see that the tilt & telescopic system used in that vehicle looks identical to the one in ours. More important to me, he also included some pictures of the inside of his motor that he had taken apart to clean. The photo I was most interested in though was the one showing the part number of the circuit board used inside the motor. This turned out to be the same one used in the motor that I opened up. This told me that the motors were identical and the only difference was in the wire harness used to interface the motor with the vehicle.

So I went and ordered the motor from the source in the UAE on a Wednesday night and the following Monday it was at my front door. Total price was $204.41 + $12.25 for shipping. Considering where it came from I was highly impressed with the speed of the delivery. Thanks FedEx!

Here are a couple of photos of the part. Everything seemed on the up and up as I had visions of Chinese made knockoff parts dancing in my head as I opened the box. I was a little surprised by the blob of shipping tape around the part but I suspect that the vendor just wanted to make sure that the bubble wrap that he used was well secured.

Attachment 466669

Attachment 466670

Here is a picture of the harness and mounting bracket from my old motor attached to the new one. The harness on the right is what shipped on the motor.

Attachment 466671

I found that it was easier to mount the motor back into the car when I removed one 10mm bolt holding the HVAC vent right next to where the TS motor goes. With that shifted out of the way I could then screw the motor in place while facing it from the front instead of trying to do it while lying on my back. As mentioned in other posts on this thread, I made sure to extend the motor out before I reconnected the nut and clamp back onto the column. As expected, the telescopic feature now works like a champ.

Some additional comments that I have: It wasn't until I started looking at my system initially that I was able to determine that my steering wheel was stuck in the farthest out position, (i.e., closest to the driver). With the tilt function still functional, I found that I could easily live with the telescopic portion not working. Its in my nature however that I like everything to work in my cars. So that's why I decided to replace the motor.

For those of you that do not want to spend the money to replace the motor I found out that there is another alternative that one could use to get manual functionality of the telescopic system: just remove the clamp holding the nut to the steering column. You will find that you can then manually move the column using your hands. It does take quite a bit of force to do this and its the only reason I would suggest doing this as I'm sure many will claim that its going to be unsafe to drive around in that condition. All I can tell you is that I drove my car around like that for well over a week and never had a problem doing so. It takes that much force to move the column. As always YMMV...

Great find Gronemus.....wonder if this is true for the tilt motor as well for an 05 MY? Will have to look into it further.
Old 09-18-17, 09:30 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by PearlUni05
Great find Gronemus.....wonder if this is true for the tilt motor as well for an 05 MY? Will have to look into it further.
Quite possible it works for the telescopic motor also. The LS430 (04-06) tilt motor part number is 89231-50060 and the Toyota Land Cruiser part number is 89231-60022...
Old 09-19-17, 04:41 AM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Gronemus I am don't want to make an expensive mistake like that and get the wrong part. I will have to research a lot before making the purchase or just get the one for the LS.
Old 09-19-17, 11:29 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great find on the Land Cruiser motor! Saving $90 is a lot! One can do something with that.
Old 09-20-17, 09:44 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Man I really need to tackle this, I just hate working under the steering column, very akward anytime I work under there getting comfortable. My function has been broken for a while now and its too far forward, so I need to tackle it.
Old 09-21-17, 03:45 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Man I really need to tackle this, I just hate working under the steering column, very akward anytime I work under there getting comfortable. My function has been broken for a while now and its too far forward, so I need to tackle it.
While you contemplate on replacing the telescopic motor, you can still adjust the telescopic position with a bod motor. To extend and retract the steering wheel, the telescopic motor turns a jack-screw that is anchored to the steering column. What you need to do is to unbolt the 2 bolts for the anchor and free the jack screw from the steering column, then manually pull/push the steering wheel to the desired position, then manually rotate the anchor so that the 2 mounting holes on the anchor match their mating holes on the steering column, then reinstall the 2 mounting bolts. All of the above can be done without being UNDER the steering column.

The following users liked this post:
romfather (02-14-20)
Old 09-21-17, 06:28 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
While you contemplate on replacing the telescopic motor, you can still adjust the telescopic position with a bod motor. To extend and retract the steering wheel, the telescopic motor turns a jack-screw that is anchored to the steering column. What you need to do is to unbolt the 2 bolts for the anchor and free the jack screw from the steering column, then manually pull/push the steering wheel to the desired position, then manually rotate the anchor so that the 2 mounting holes on the anchor match their mating holes on the steering column, then reinstall the 2 mounting bolts. All of the above can be done without being UNDER the steering column.

Thanks, thats very helpful, will try this.
Old 04-01-18, 11:23 PM
LS4Thirtee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another save by this great tutorial

Telescopic wasn't working. Followed these instructions and found a split bushing.

Part in order

pic for interest...
Old 08-11-18, 03:37 PM
williamcc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't Tilt - possibly ECU

My steering wheel won't tilt up but telescoping is OK. I looked for VAC on the T6 tilt motor connector (A1 and B1 to COM1), with a DMM, and saw bursts of AC on one but not the other - (schematic on this post). Docs say that these signals should be 190-230 VAC -does anyone know what frequency the AC is?

The pinout for the Telescoping motor and the Tilt motor are the same so I connected the tilt motor to the telescoping motor connector and was able to spin the tilt motor both directions with the manual switch (going IN and OUT). Then I measured resistance between the ECU P8 connector and the motor T6 connector for A1, B1, and COM1 - everything OK. So it looks like my ECU might be bad.
  • Anyone ever repair a Tilt/Telescope ECU?
  • Any ECU words of wisdom?

For now, I just turned the tilt motor to the absolute best tilt angle to satisfy the boss and left it unplugged. Thnx for all the help from this thread.
---
To connect the Tilt motor to the Telescoping motor connector I had to : Remove the bottom panel that has the OBD II connector (2 screws, 2 clips); drop the tilt motor down as if I was going to spin it by hand like this post; hold the steering wheel up ; put the steering wheel all the way in; disconnect the telescope motor and connect the tilt motor to its connector.
Old 04-04-19, 09:26 PM
razvy
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the part no you order , I don't see that bushing for sale .
Old 04-04-19, 09:46 PM
bradland

Received 673 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by razvy
What is the part no you order , I don't see that bushing for sale .

Old 04-04-19, 10:31 PM
razvy
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats only the cover of the threaded nut , what I'm looking for it's the threaded / nut bushing .
Old 04-04-19, 11:04 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by razvy
Thats only the cover of the threaded nut , what I'm looking for it's the threaded / nut bushing .
You're getting the terms mixed up. The first part I posted is the bushing, look at the name on the package. This is the threaded insert that goes inside it.

Old 04-04-19, 11:15 PM
bradland

To avoid any further confusion, this is the bracket that holds it all against the column-

Quick Reply: DIY...the step by step telescopic steering write-up