GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 10:31 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Another feature that shows in the manual (and exists on other Lexus models) are the back up
camera guide lines, red, light blue and yellow. No menu button, no lines but an entire section in
the manual describing how it (doesn't) work... Apparently the function works in other markets.
Old 09-05-17, 02:15 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Another feature that shows in the manual (and exists on other Lexus models) are the back up
camera guide lines, red, light blue and yellow. No menu button, no lines but an entire section in
the manual describing how it (doesn't) work... Apparently the function works in other markets.
For US market, that feature in GX only come with the Driver Support Package.
Old 09-06-17, 01:59 PM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Any resolution?

I am tempted to get a quote from the stealer for an evap cleaning.
Old 09-06-17, 05:27 PM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfishing
Any resolution?

I am tempted to get a quote from the stealer for an evap cleaning.
the dealer said they couldn't smell anything except a "musty smell when starting the AC"

the experience with the dealer was bizarre. They would sort of admit there was an issue with a smell verbally in so many words and it also seemed they knew exactly what was causing it but they wouldn't/couldn't do anything about it. It's a known issue and there are tsb's for it but the only fix is non warrantable, costs $250, and is really just an evap cleaning kit you can buy on Amazon for $13. They also suggested a detail

I'm a little disappointed they wouldn't go to bat for me with Lexus covering the cost of either the cleaning or an evap replacement. I do understand the problem they would face, It would set a precedent for other Lexus/Toyota customers all requesting the same thing which can become an expensive issue for them. That was the impression I got at least.

i bought that kit on Amazon, 2 of them since I read 1 might not totally fill the system. I'm going to spray the cowl intakes and the cabin air filter area with a disinfectant as well and replace the filter with something with charcoal and soda. Going to attempt it all this weekend if I get time.
Old 09-16-17, 09:10 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

More than likely you have mold in your condenser box. Like the guys above mentioned there are products to fix this. To prevent mold from coming back turn off the AC the last few minutes. What you want to do is dry out the condenser box by running the fan on high to remove condensation from the air box to prevent standing water in there that causes mold.
Old 09-17-17, 11:10 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I've used this kit also and it works well. It's easier than changing your oil. Just find the drain tubes under your car and spray up them with the rubber, cone shaped adapter that makes a seal. There's generic versions also that basically do the same thing. I've also sprayed the Lysol type stuff near the firewall where the vent sucks in, it also works, but not as well as when you can really get the evaporator box coated like you can with the kits and it sprays up the drain tube.

I'm sure dealerships view something like this under "maintenance" and aren't going to cover it. Sort of like the drain tubes on my home AC from time to time need to be purged out.

I've had a Ford that really had a problem with a musty AC system, but I think Lexus has this issue more than others for two reasons

1) Lexus AC is WAY colder than other brands I've been in, which means more moisture is pulled out of the air in condensation and then has to drain out.

2) When you turn the AC to a cold setting, it wants to default to recirculate as that setting gets the cabin colder, quicker. That seems to trap in the moist air as the only water the moisture can leave is through the drain tube. A lot of other car brands make you manually hit recirculate every time the car is started.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (10-10-21)
Old 09-20-17, 01:38 PM
stevenatx
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

high-powered OZONE machine will get rid of smell. Had a friend use one to get rid of the smell of a dead body that in a Mercedes he bought. Body had sat in car for 3 days in a Houston summer!
Old 09-20-17, 02:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenatx
high-powered OZONE machine will get rid of smell. Had a friend use one to get rid of the smell of a dead body that in a Mercedes he bought. Body had sat in car for 3 days in a Houston summer!

Yikes.... do they pay you to take that car away? I can imagine the smell... as a youth I worked in public works for a summer job and occasionally had to pick up road kill as big as large deer.
Old 09-20-17, 02:52 PM
stevenatx
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

He paid a guy $300 to drive it 2 miles and the guy threw up when he got out. Used and ozone machine for 2 days and problem solved. It was an almost brand new 150k Mercedes for 20K!
Old 09-21-17, 05:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Not that it really helps much but here is the official Lexus TSB on HVAC odor.

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
Craigyyy (09-13-18), ferliz (02-26-20)
Old 09-22-17, 05:45 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I brought up this particular TSB at the dealer and they said it was Related to some degradation of the core blowing metal or something like that out of the vents that was making people sick. Claimed it had nothing to do with the mold smell and has since been remedied.
Old 10-07-17, 04:42 PM
Kdzula
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 GX460 AC condenser drain hose

Hello, I have a 2016 GX 460 and I am trying to locate where the AC condenser drain tube is. It’s the one that drains the water that cools or round of the condenser on humid days. I’m trying to use the Toyota air refresh kit and I can’t find that tube underneath the car to put in The condenser cleaning fluid. Does anyone know where it is located, and maybe possibly a picture?
The following users liked this post:
ferliz (02-27-20)
Old 10-07-17, 05:28 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 598 Posts

Video posted here if that helps. Not exactly sure where it is on the GX 460.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-460-a.html
Old 10-07-17, 06:06 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 598 Posts

Here it is.
The following 3 users liked this post by tecman:
bbqsoup (10-07-17), ferliz (02-27-20), UltramanGX (06-09-19)
Old 10-07-17, 06:40 PM
Kdzula
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks so much!

Thank you so much! I was crawling underneath for hours looking for it. I took off all of the skid plates and still couldn’t find it.

Quick Reply: HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info