Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai i30N performance hatchback has multiple variants

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 03:14 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts
Default Hyundai i30N performance hatchback has multiple variants

This is not a difficult or new formula for any car company to come out with. I do hope they bring any of these to the USA, including the top line 271hp 6-speed manual version. It's a shame that any possibility of that will exclude a 3-door hatchback... arguably the best looking body style in this category.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-...les-98041.html
Old 09-24-17, 04:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow, aimed at the VW Golf (and its variants) much? Don't get me wrong, looks good, but looks just like a Golf. Flattering.
Old 09-24-17, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A decent one for sure, but, from what I can tell, just another typical pocket-rocket. The big question is if there really much of a market for this type of vehicle in the U.S. right now? It's easy, of course, to say "Bring it Over", but will doing that actually make it sell?
Old 09-24-17, 05:20 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to say if they would add this to the existing Elantra GT line, which already gets you 201 hp and the IRS Euro-spec rear suspension. The i30N isn't likely to come on over, but apparently Hyundai may have something up its sleeve to counter the Focus ST, Civic SiR competition.

But at least there is the existing Elantra GT, six speed manual or automatic to satiate hatch fans. Good looking car, clean lines.

Old 09-24-17, 05:23 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A decent one for sure, but, from what I can tell, just another typical pocket-rocket. The big question is if there really much of a market for this type of vehicle in the U.S. right now? It's easy, of course, to say "Bring it Over", but will doing that actually make it sell?
The continued success of cars like the Focus ST/RS, Civic Si and now Type R, Subaru WRX/STI, let alone the Golf/GTI would say that yes, these would indeed sell, and could provide a strong halo for the standard product line as well.
Old 09-25-17, 01:48 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The continued success of cars like the Focus ST/RS, Civic Si and now Type R, Subaru WRX/STI, let alone the Golf/GTI would say that yes, these would indeed sell, and could provide a strong halo for the standard product line as well.
^^ This.

And... if it's not for sale in the USA you can't expect anyone to buy it. Then they just can't. Self-fulfilling prophecy for the market so denied. At least not until 25 years have passed so that whatever version of the car was sold new in another market can be imported to the U.S.

There are only a handful of these types of authentic high performance small cars available brand new in the USA at any given time. Of those, the most preferable models with the best bang for the buck are always marked up quite a bit. More competition in the same category can only help the accessibility of the segment.

People tend to keep buying hot hatchbacks despite industry analysts saying the sky is falling for hot hatchbacks-- especially anything with a manual transmission and a turbo. Anything that is produced with 230hp or (much) more, a stick shift and AWD still tends to be in demand... and of course becomes "market adjusted" up in price by dealers who sell them.

They may not be high volume model trims but there are always people who want to buy any such model so long as the engineers did their jobs well and it is a delight, rather than a turd, to drive.