Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 01:50 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?

It was a beautiful sunny day and I just paid $115 to get my Lexi 14 GS 350 detailed inside and out. The guy did a great job and polished all swirl marks and light scratches out. The car looks like the day I bought is new from dealer. So after driving off and taking the interatate 40 home i hit heavy traffic but traffic was still flowing about a constant 50 mph.

Out of no where this suv changes lanes in front of me and starts blasting his front and rear windahield wipers, spraying wiper fluid all over my car. I had the driver windows rolled down halfway and had to roll them backbup because water was getting in my face and interior. The strange thing is the fluid smells exactly like isoprophyl alcohol.

At that time I just assumed all wiper fluid smelled like that. Although my car was now covered in dirty wiper fluid (his car was muddy and dirty) i figured id go home and just wipe my car down with Meguirs Quick Detailer and all should be fine. When I got home I try'd the QD and realized that the water spots will not come off no matter how hard i tried.

Now i am panicking and decided to go right back to the car detailer and have him take a look. He used a orbital buffer and worked his magic and fix me right up amd told me whatever washer fluid the other guy used had harsh chemicals that ate away at some of the clear coat of the paint. He said he would fix this at no charge, so i am greatful of him amd will be comeing back for his services.

When ever I decide to use my windshield wipers i am always aware of where i am to make sure my wiper fluid does not get on other peoples cars, unless its raining outside. People like this annoyes my so much and it seems like every time i had just washed my car some a$$h0le sprays wiper water all over my car. And please to whomever spay wiper fluid on my car please use proper fluid in your car. Do not use whatever harsh chemicals, windex, alcohol or anything that can damage other peoples paint job. End Rant.

So what do other people do on public roads that grinds your gears let me know!
Old 09-29-17, 02:21 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

People who tail-gate, especially on the interstate in heavy traffic. I usually flash tailgaters my brake lights a couple of times. I drive the speed limit, maybe 5 over on surface streets, maybe 5-10 over on the interstate, I keep pace with people in the left two lanes. If you continue to tailgate me after I flash my brake lights, well I just coast on down, if you can't get around me, well that is your damn problem, maybe you should back the **** up and not be in such a hurry. Cause I can sit here all day long doing 10-20mph on a 40mph road where you can't pass me.

If I'm doing 10 over the speed limit in the fast lane on the interstate and you are tailgating my *** while we are both passing slower traffic, well I will just slow the **** down to 50-55mph to that car next to me and block your ***. Back the **** up, that car in front of me is only doing 65mph, I'm maintaining a safe distance, I can't go any faster you dumb mother ****er.

Also people that wait to the last damn minute to brake, especially on a fast moving interstate where traffic goes from 50mph to zero in a blink of the eye. Are you just asking to get rear ended if you slam on the brake at the last minute and don't maintain a safe following distance.

Getting stuck behind the dumb **** who doesn't know how to merge really pisses me off. If the speed limit is 70mph, well you should be doing ****ing 70-80mph by the time you get to the end of the ramp, especially in heavy traffic. Put your damn foot to the floor, you aren't going to break your pos 110hp 1999 CRV if you floor it, Especially if its a Honda, all that power is in the top of the RPM band, it doesn't move unless you floor it. People that do 45mph at the bottom of the ramp, then oh **** I'm not going fast enough and floor it, those people need to rot in hell. I'm in a slow as **** truck with 120hp, I need that whole damn ramp to make 70mph, I can't magically go from 40mph to 70mph in 300 feet at the bottom of the ramp like you can in your 280hp Toyota minivan.

Last edited by Aron9000; 09-29-17 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 03:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sharing sucks, LOL. I want the road to myself - no issues that way
Old 09-29-17, 04:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I hate when people speed up to get out of a driveway or even mall etc., cut me off, then proceed 10 mph under the speed limit. I notice such nonsense even at the gym the way people walk. Hey I'm in a hurry at 5 AM on a weekday which is why it bothers me. The leisure class has all day so I get why they move so slowly, but there's no need to speed up to cut a person off, then move slowly is my point....

I'm in the northeast. As mentioned, I spent 5 days in KY, and did not encounter one, not one, example of aggressive or rude driving, so I think it matters where one is located.
Old 09-29-17, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Trying to post on Car Chat while they are driving LOL.
Old 09-29-17, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I'm in the northeast. As mentioned, I spent 5 days in KY, and did not encounter one, not one, example of aggressive or rude driving, so I think it matters where one is located.
Different culture in KY. In that part of the country, with traditional values, in general, people have more respect for one another....it's not like Boston or NYC, where everyone is in a hurry and it's always Me-First. Also, in KY, a large percentage of the population has guns, and are ready to use them if others try to make them a target of road-rage....that alone cuts way down on the likelihood of aggressive driving.
Old 09-29-17, 06:56 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

People who think they are so special they have right away no matter what. Examples, right turn from left lane and the other way around, use the shoulder as their personal lane. People who force their way in as far up as than can instead of blending in when given space. Exiting and get right back on the interstate just to try and get a few cars ahead. That just slows the interstate even more. People who enter or exit the interstate via the grass embankments. Turn on your blinker to change lane with plenty of space and the person speeds up so you can't safely. People who drive down the center turn lane as their own personal lane, even through intersections. People who refuse to maintain lane on mutilane turns. People who coattail through stop signs. People who use the shoulder going the wrong direction, because they don't want to make the left across traffic. Then the blanket statement of people who think only laws they agree with apply to them.

people make mistakes, but most of the before mentioned is just selfish, self centered crap.

edit: two years in Houston really opened my eyes to how self centered drivers can be. The only place I've driven that's as bad is New York City. That includes LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Denver , Miami, Dallas, can't speak for DC area been to many years .

Last edited by Coleroad; 09-29-17 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 07:12 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The only thing that really bugs me is the left lane hogger. Just let the speeders through please. If you insist on going at the speed limit, please move over to the other lanes. I’ve seen such road rage due to idiots that try to left lane hog. Prius drivers are the worst offenders
Old 09-29-17, 07:47 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
People who tail-gate, especially on the interstate in heavy traffic. I usually flash tailgaters my brake lights a couple of times. I drive the speed limit, maybe 5 over on surface streets, maybe 5-10 over on the interstate, I keep pace with people in the left two lanes. If you continue to tailgate me after I flash my brake lights, well I just coast on down, if you can't get around me, well that is your damn problem, maybe you should back the **** up and not be in such a hurry. Cause I can sit here all day long doing 10-20mph on a 40mph road where you can't pass me.

If I'm doing 10 over the speed limit in the fast lane on the interstate and you are tailgating my *** while we are both passing slower traffic, well I will just slow the **** down to 50-55mph to that car next to me and block your ***. Back the **** up, that car in front of me is only doing 65mph, I'm maintaining a safe distance, I can't go any faster you dumb mother ****er.
Then you are part of the problem. People that do that to me get this:

The road doesn't just belong to you. If someone wants to pass you, and you can safely do so, move the F-over. I promise, if you did that to me, not only would I stay behind you with 100,000 lumens burning your retina's, I would follow you around for a good while. I am retired, I have nothing better to do

Getting stuck behind the dumb **** who doesn't know how to merge really pisses me off. If the speed limit is 70mph, well you should be doing ****ing 70-80mph by the time you get to the end of the ramp, especially in heavy traffic. Put your damn foot to the floor, you aren't going to break your pos 110hp 1999 CRV if you floor it, Especially if its a Honda, all that power is in the top of the RPM band, it doesn't move unless you floor it. People that do 45mph at the bottom of the ramp, then oh **** I'm not going fast enough and floor it, those people need to rot in hell. I'm in a slow as **** truck with 120hp, I need that whole damn ramp to make 70mph, I can't magically go from 40mph to 70mph in 300 feet at the bottom of the ramp like you can in your 280hp Toyota minivan.
Now this I agree with you on. Whats worse, the people that get to the bottom of the ramp and panic, thinking they aren't going to make it...then they STOP. I can't tell you how many times I have almost rear-ended someone because I turn onto a ramp, and go barreling down it only to see the car in front of me come to a dead stop. I actually had to use the shoulder to go around someone (horn blaring), that stopped and blocked the on-ramp. I am in a 6,000+ lb truck, you can't just STOP in front of me.

And don't tell me I should leave a safe following distance, because I do. But when the car in front of you goes from 50-0 in a split second, it doesn't matter how much space there is, especially if I am accelerating to get on a highway.

Originally Posted by EZZ
The only thing that really bugs me is the left lane hogger. Just let the speeders through please. If you insist on going at the speed limit, please move over to the other lanes. I €™ve seen such road rage due to idiots that try to left lane hog. Prius drivers are the worst offenders
This. If I can get around them on the right, I will, but if not, I will just wait behind them, making it BLATANTLY obvious that I am not happy. Then, after they move, I scoot past them. I make sure that when my tailpipes (no mufflers) are right next to their window, I go WOT.

Some of you might think I am an ******* on the road, the very type of driver you loathe. But in 15 years of driving, I have driven in 46 states, and logged over a million miles on america's roads. Guess how many at-fault accidents I have had. Goose-egg. That's right...zero. That's not just luck. It's because when you drive for a living, you learn how to do it safely and efficiently.

Now...get out of the way, or get the bright lights and the train horns.
Old 09-29-17, 07:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My biggest pet peeves on the road are tailgating and seeing people smoking with kids in their car.

Last edited by JDR76; 09-29-17 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 11:03 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

idiots with those diesel trucks that send out a cloud of black smoke on purpose.. I was following a couple cruising in a nice convertible... this truck just floored his diesel and left a cloud of black smoke.. i felt so bad for the couple...

I hope the police catch them in the act one day.. and impound/crush their vehicle.
Old 09-29-17, 11:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,828 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Tossing cigarettes out the window, everyone that does that I hope they die alone in a fire.
Old 09-29-17, 11:33 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
idiots with those diesel trucks that send out a cloud of black smoke on purpose.. I was following a couple cruising in a nice convertible... this truck just floored his diesel and left a cloud of black smoke.. i felt so bad for the couple...

I hope the police catch them in the act one day.. and impound/crush their vehicle.
1. Diesel trucks can't control how much smoke comes out of their exhaust. That is set by the ECM. Some are tuned to have more fuel, and as a result, get more smoke, but the result can't be helped. Black smoke comes from a rich fuel burn.

2. Those "clouds of black smoke" might smell bad, but they contain less pollutant's than your average family sedan.

3. Trucks that do this, have no emissions restrictions. That means no DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst), no EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and use no DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). The ones that do use/have those things, do not have smoke if they are working correctly.

4. Any Diesel Pickup made after 2014 is required to have an EGR/DEF/DPF/DOC system in place. It is an EPA Mandate and as such, a federal law. If you see a truck driving that is newer than 2014, and is blowing black smoke, it is either illegally deleted/modded and tuned (most likely), or it is malfunctioning.

5. Saying they should have their vehicle crushed is childish at best. A ticket, sure, but crushing? It isn't street racing. Some of these trucks cost more than a new Lexus. How would you feel if you just bought a new Lexus LS for 80k and the government took it away and crushed it because you did something dumb?
Old 09-29-17, 11:49 AM
PsykotiK
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also people that wait to the last damn minute to brake, especially on a fast moving interstate where traffic goes from 50mph to zero in a blink of the eye. Are you just asking to get rear ended if you slam on the brake at the last minute and don't maintain a safe following distance.

how about you take your slow *** out of the fast lane instead of being a ***** and slowing down cause you dont want to speed up
Old 09-29-17, 11:50 AM
PsykotiK
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Left lane hogs and people who drive with their goddamn high beams on

Quick Reply: What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?