Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 12:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

People texting and/or just doing something distracting and not being focused on the road really grinds my gears

Old 09-29-17, 12:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The only thing that really bugs me is the left lane hogger. Just let the speeders through please. If you insist on going at the speed limit, please move over to the other lanes. I €™ve seen such road rage due to idiots that try to left lane hog. Prius drivers are the worst offenders
There seems to be an epidemic of this type of thing in the KC area... people driving 62 in a 65 zone in the far-left lane, when there are lots of people around them pushing 75 or 80. It's just disruptive to the flow of traffic and generally annoying.

I'd say that left-lane hogging and tailgating are the two worst ones for me.
Old 09-29-17, 01:02 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
People texting and/or just doing something distracting and not being focused on the road really grinds my gears

Agreed, especially when they can't stay in their own dang lane because of it
Old 09-29-17, 01:03 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

my biggest pet peeve is the moron that changes lanes going significantly slower than I am, and doesn't speed up, it especially pisses me off when there are NO cars behind me and if said dip$4it had used their mirrors they would have known this and could have waited 2 more seconds for me to pass.

along the same lines are idiots that pull out from a cross street entering my lane without picking up speed to at minimum match mine, especially when said idiot just ran a red light making that turn as they rolled through it rather than coming to a COMPLETE stop and checking for cross traffic..

oh yeah and duma$$ pedestrians that step off the sidewalk into the cross walk or jaywalk without bothering to look if there are moving vehicles around them.. had one this morning that decided to walk across the street while I was coming down the block at speed (40mph on this street), she was walking on the same street I was and decided to walk diagonal into my lane 20' before the cross walk causing myself and the car next to me to lock up our brakes to avoid hitting her, then she flipped us off.
Old 09-29-17, 01:17 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Truck drivers. 61 MPH is not fast. If you're doing 60.5 mph and come up on another semi doing 60 mph, slow down to 60 mph. Don't make the entire freeway slow down.
Old 09-29-17, 01:41 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I hate when people speed up to get out of a driveway or even mall etc., cut me off, then proceed 10 mph under the speed limit. I notice such nonsense even at the gym the way people walk. Hey I'm in a hurry at 5 AM on a weekday which is why it bothers me. The leisure class has all day so I get why they move so slowly, but there's no need to speed up to cut a person off, then move slowly is my point....

I'm in the northeast. As mentioned, I spent 5 days in KY, and did not encounter one, not one, example of aggressive or rude driving, so I think it matters where one is located.
There is definitely more of a attitude on the East Coast I notice more with drivers when comparing the NE with the South, many NE drivers often do jerk things on purpose, ride your tail more, honk, flash brights, doing 100+mph on sport bikes in traffic etc. Not to say that does not happen in the South and I have experienced it there too but I think in the South more people do more dumb things on the road where on the East Coast it seems people do more things on purpose with a attitude and take things more personally.

I would say the thing that annoys me the most is people who are not paying attention, mainly pulling out right in front of me or they try dangerous moves just to get somewhere quicker or try to make a turn they are going to miss. I literally have to dodge a accident almost every time I drive because of people doing stupid things like pulling out right in front of you, going way too fast in parking lots not looking, etc. I drive very cautiously now, often with my foot over the brake every time I see a possible situation where someone might do something dumb like turn in front of me or pull out in front of me, it has saved me from a bad accident a couple times.
Old 09-29-17, 01:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I hate when people speed up to get out of a driveway or even mall etc., cut me off, then proceed 10 mph under the speed limit. I notice such nonsense even at the gym the way people walk. Hey I'm in a hurry at 5 AM on a weekday which is why it bothers me. The leisure class has all day so I get why they move so slowly, but there's no need to speed up to cut a person off, then move slowly is my point....

I'm in the northeast. As mentioned, I spent 5 days in KY, and did not encounter one, not one, example of aggressive or rude driving, so I think it matters where one is located.
There is definitely more of a attitude on the East Coast I notice more with drivers when comparing the NE with the South, many NE drivers often do jerk things on purpose, ride your tail more, honk, flash brights, doing 100+mph on sport bikes in traffic etc. Not to say that does not happen in the South and I have experienced it there too but I think in the South more people do more dumb things on the road where on the East Coast it seems people do more things on purpose with a attitude and take things more personally.

I would say the thing that annoys me the most is people who are not paying attention, mainly pulling out right in front of me or they try dangerous moves just to get somewhere quicker or try to make a turn they are going to miss. I literally have to dodge a accident almost every time I drive because of people doing stupid things like pulling out right in front of you, going way too fast in parking lots not looking, etc. I drive very cautiously now, often with my foot over the brake every time I see a possible situation where someone might do something dumb like turn in front of me or pull out in front of me, it has saved me from a bad accident a couple times.
Old 09-29-17, 10:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
1. Diesel trucks can't control how much smoke comes out of their exhaust. That is set by the ECM. Some are tuned to have more fuel, and as a result, get more smoke, but the result can't be helped. Black smoke comes from a rich fuel burn.

2. Those "clouds of black smoke" might smell bad, but they contain less pollutant's than your average family sedan.

3. Trucks that do this, have no emissions restrictions. That means no DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst), no EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and use no DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). The ones that do use/have those things, do not have smoke if they are working correctly.

4. Any Diesel Pickup made after 2014 is required to have an EGR/DEF/DPF/DOC system in place. It is an EPA Mandate and as such, a federal law. If you see a truck driving that is newer than 2014, and is blowing black smoke, it is either illegally deleted/modded and tuned (most likely), or it is malfunctioning.

5. Saying they should have their vehicle crushed is childish at best. A ticket, sure, but crushing? It isn't street racing. Some of these trucks cost more than a new Lexus. How would you feel if you just bought a new Lexus LS for 80k and the government took it away and crushed it because you did something dumb?
I had some jerk pull a stunt on me because he didn't like me. Mashed the fuel on his diesel and showed me the smoke line. I didn't take it well, and proved to him that stopping an IS F on Michelin PSS was much easier than stopping his puke up with the intentional smoke screen. I'd bet he was pretty unhappy about how close he got to me. His problem for being a jerk, not mine. Driving on the track does have its advantages - I know how to manage the distance behind me to scare the crap out of someone without getting hit.
Old 09-29-17, 11:37 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by PsykotiK
Left lane hogs and people who drive with their goddamn high beams on
X2

And the DOT allowing almost literal arc lamp like head lights on cars, as well as blinding laser led stop lights in the rear, what ever happened to the old so many candle power allowed????????? I have to drive with almost dark welding glasses at night, because of the idiocy.
Also the fools that slow down 2 miles before the exit they are taking on the freeway. I could understand it if it was a highly loaded truck.
Old 09-30-17, 12:58 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Tossing cigarettes out the window, everyone that does that I hope they die alone in a fire.
I have to admit that I used to do that when I was younger, and I now look back in shame. I can't stand seeing garbage on the streets and every time I see litter I would think "what a lazy *******, just hold your **** until you get to a garbage can". I then realized that I was doing the same thing with my cigarette butts. I stopped throwing butts out of my car immediately. That was years ago, and I've stopped smoking long since.
Old 09-30-17, 08:26 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Minor compared to prior posts (tailgating, cig buttheads, highbeams) but what frosts me a bit
is when there are three lanes, left turn, straight through and the curb lane. The curb lane is
not a dedicated right turn only but folks veer right to race to pass a couple cars and then sit
through the cycle blocking multiple folks that could have "turned right on Red". One fellow
gains a couple of seconds but causes many to lose as much as a minute apiece.
Common sense is NOT common...
Old 09-30-17, 08:36 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Minor compared to prior posts (tailgating, cig buttheads, highbeams) but what frosts me a bit
is when there are three lanes, left turn, straight through and the curb lane. The curb lane is
not a dedicated right turn only but folks veer right to race to pass a couple cars and then sit
through the cycle blocking multiple folks that could have "turned right on Red". One fellow
gains a couple of seconds but causes many to lose as much as a minute apiece.
Common sense is NOT common...
that's part of the stuff I was talking about. That selfish, self centered attitude so many seem to have. In defense of that one you don't know if they are looking for a business or planning on turning right after the intersection.
Old 09-30-17, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I had some jerk pull a stunt on me because he didn't like me. Mashed the fuel on his diesel and showed me the smoke line. I didn't take it well, and proved to him that stopping an IS F on Michelin PSS was much easier than stopping his puke up with the intentional smoke screen. I'd bet he was pretty unhappy about how close he got to me. His problem for being a jerk, not mine. Driving on the track does have its advantages - I know how to manage the distance behind me to scare the crap out of someone without getting hit.
By doing that, though, you're also rolling the dice and being that his (or her) brakes and/or stopping distance are as good (or better) than yours.

Welcome back to Car Chat, BTW. Unless I just missed it (which sometimes happens), I haven't see you post here much lately.
Old 09-30-17, 10:49 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

People who don't understand the yield sign. There's an intersection near me where people never yield per the sign. They will just drive into on comming traffic right into a car thinking people should let them in even when there Is no space. I've seen several accidents where people will merge right into an on comming car. It pissed me off.

Tailgating also pissed me off. I hate seeing other people ride peoples ***. Especially in traffic where there is nowhere to go.
Old 09-30-17, 11:10 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

4-way stops.

Why are these so difficult for people?

Quick Reply: What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?