Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW, Mini to offer Amazon Alexa in all models beginning next year

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 03:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW, Mini to offer Amazon Alexa in all models beginning next year

Voice recognition has been available in cars for years now, but the technology has improved, and found its way into our pockets and our homes. With applications like Siri and gadgets like the Amazon Echoessentially acting as digital personal assistants, the ways we interact with technology through our voice have advanced significantly in recent years. BMW plans to take advantage of the evolved voice technology, and will offer Amazon Alexa in every BMW and Mini model beginning in the middle of 2018.

Drivers will be able to use the usual Alexa features (or "skills" in Amazon speak) to get the latest news and weather, provide entertainment, or remotely control their smart home gadgets. Alexa will also perform car-specific duties, such as navigation or locating nearby businesses. Users can also check on movie times, request specific playlists or even order products from Amazon through Alexa.

It's the logical next step for BMW, which has allowed owners to check the status or control features of their car through Alexa's BMW Connected skill since last year. Users won't need to bring their smartphone along for the Alexa to work, as BMW and Mini models will be equipped with their own SIM cards. Alexa will be available in cars in the United States, United Kingdom and Germany.

As our friends at Engadget point out, the timing is important, as Amazon risked being left behind by the likes of Apple and Google, which offer their technology in vehicles via Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Amazon would do well to expand access beyond the three markets in-car Alexa will launch in, for exactly the same reason.
Source
Old 09-29-17, 03:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Lexus should go out and get IBM Watson
Old 10-02-17, 01:26 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus should go out and get IBM Watson
Which Toyota division developed Watson?

....then it'll never happen.

I know you were joking, but Toyota/Lexus has a serious "not built here" complex.
Old 10-02-17, 01:32 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

oh good lord.. I have an Alexa, she's the second dumbest b*t*ch in my life, I would understand if it was just me she doesn't understand, but she doesn't get 20% of the instruction from anyone in my family, and she routinely just does crap on her own, like read news and play music, which I have turned off multiple times.

and she doesn't know the difference between Lexus and Alexa, anytime I tell my wife, had me the Lexus keys, or can you lock the Lexus, she pipes up "sorry I didn't get that"

worthless technology IMO..