Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 12:11 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron9000
People who tail-gate, especially on the interstate in heavy traffic. I usually flash tailgaters my brake lights a couple of times. I drive the speed limit, maybe 5 over on surface streets, maybe 5-10 over on the interstate, I keep pace with people in the left two lanes. If you continue to tailgate me after I flash my brake lights, well I just coast on down, if you can't get around me, well that is your damn problem, maybe you should back the **** up and not be in such a hurry. Cause I can sit here all day long doing 10-20mph on a 40mph road where you can't pass me.

If I'm doing 10 over the speed limit in the fast lane on the interstate and you are tailgating my *** while we are both passing slower traffic, well I will just slow the **** down to 50-55mph to that car next to me and block your ***. Back the **** up, that car in front of me is only doing 65mph, I'm maintaining a safe distance, I can't go any faster you dumb mother ****er.
I'm sure you're a perfectly good person but when it comes to driving you are part of the problem. Don't try to be the hall monitor, just move over and get out of the way.
Old 09-30-17, 12:36 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I'm sure you're a perfectly good person but when it comes to driving you are part of the problem. Don't try to be the hall monitor, just move over and get out of the way.
+1

If someone wants to get past you, just let them. Why go even slower just to get them even more frustrated? Less frustration the road and more consideration is what we need. NOT LESS. What if his wife was giving birth? What if his house is on fire? What if her family member is dying at the hospital? We don't know everyone's situation, be considerate.
Old 09-30-17, 01:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
+1

If someone wants to get past you, just let them. Why go even slower just to get them even more frustrated? Less frustration the road and more consideration is what we need. NOT LESS. What if his wife was giving birth? What if his house is on fire? What if her family member is dying at the hospital? We don't know everyone's situation, be considerate.
+2. If I’m in the left, I make sure I am the fastest car. If another car comes up behind me, I get out of the way. After all, the left is a passing lane.
Old 09-30-17, 01:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,733 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
100% agree. Even if you're going 10 over the limit, you're not entitled to the left lane... Better to be safe and just let them pass. I saw a video once where a Camaro driver was going pretty fast, weaving through traffic, and got stuck behind some slow pickup truck in the left lane. There was a semi truck in the right lane, so he couldn't go around. The pickup truck appeared to be going faster than the semi, but the pickup ended up staying pretty much even with the semi after a while, making it seem like the pickup slowed down in reaction to the other driver's speeding. Obviously the Camaro driver was having a bad day, as he tried to go around the other driver with all four tires off the pavement on the left, and ended up losing control and crashing into the left lane hogger, who also crashed into the semi truck. Granted, the Camaro driver was in the wrong, but it all could have been avoided if the guy in the left lane hadn't provoked the Camaro driver.

Old 09-30-17, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

He's a good article on the mistaken notion that people in the left lane have a right to go as fast as they want, and that people should automatically get out of their way. This is a quote from a section of the article. Actually, this article, while technically correct, is a little extreme in actual practice ......most cops, in most jurisdictions, won't ticket you for anything less than about 10 MPH over the limit. Even most speed-cameras are usually set for 10-11 MPH over the posted-limit to take things into account as speedometer error, oversize wheels causing a false speedometer, reading, hard-to-read speedometers, and the downhill effect on the vehicle from gravity.

https://lifehacker.com/eight-popular...ked-1708158201

Myth: Matching the “Flow of Traffic” and Passing Are Valid Excuses for Speeding

While driving too slow in traffic can be a hazard, the general concept of “going with the flow” of traffic isn’t going to get you out of a speeding ticket. Professor Bambauer explains that “everyone was doing it” is never a good excuse. Of course, Bambauer also points out that police forces can’t and shouldn’t go after every offender they see, but they might pick one speeder to make an example of.

Essentially, go with the flow at your own risk, but don’t expect to be let off the hook if you end up pulling the short straw. Even briefly passing another car won’t fly as an excuse either. Maybe the car in front of you is going just a little slower than you’d like, but to pass them you know you’ll have to go over the speed limit. As William Van Tassel, AAA’s National Manager of Driver Training, points out, you’re not allowed to exceed the speed limit for any reason—even if it’s just for a moment. Professor Bambauer calls posted speed limits “bright-line rules”:

This means they’re simple and clear. If the limit is 55, as soon as you’re going 56, you’re potentially liable—whether you’re passing, distracted, or rushing to the hospital. The police may decide not to enforce the violation, but you’re at risk.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-30-17, 03:39 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
He's a good article on the mistaken notion that people in the left lane have a right to go as fast as they want, and that people should automatically get out of their way. This is a quote from a section of the article. Actually, this article, while technically correct, is a little extreme in actual practice ......most cops, in most jurisdictions, won't ticket you for anything less than about 10 MPH over the limit. Even speed-cameras are usually set for 10-11 over the limit to take things into account as speedometer error, oversize wheels causing a false speedometer, reading, hard-to-read speedometers, and the downhill effect on the vehicle from gravity.

https://lifehacker.com/eight-popular...ked-1708158201

Myth: Matching the “Flow of Traffic” and Passing Are Valid Excuses for Speeding

While driving too slow in traffic can be a hazard, the general concept of “going with the flow” of traffic isn’t going to get you out of a speeding ticket. Professor Bambauer explains that “everyone was doing it” is never a good excuse. Of course, Bambauer also points out that police forces can’t and shouldn’t go after every offender they see, but they might pick one speeder to make an example of.

Essentially, go with the flow at your own risk, but don’t expect to be let off the hook if you end up pulling the short straw. Even briefly passing another car won’t fly as an excuse either. Maybe the car in front of you is going just a little slower than you’d like, but to pass them you know you’ll have to go over the speed limit. As William Van Tassel, AAA’s National Manager of Driver Training, points out, you’re not allowed to exceed the speed limit for any reason—even if it’s just for a moment. Professor Bambauer calls posted speed limits “bright-line rules”:

This means they’re simple and clear. If the limit is 55, as soon as you’re going 56, you’re potentially liable—whether you’re passing, distracted, or rushing to the hospital. The police may decide not to enforce the violation, but you’re at risk.
The speeding is besides the point. The point here is that in most states (such as Texas), this sign is on every freeway:

Or this one:

Or this one:

And alot of it is because we have these:

on a few of our freeways. Most of them say 70 or 75, but there are several that say 80 and 85.

If you are in the left lane, it does NOT matter if you are already speeding. If you notice someone who wants to go faster, either speed up and complete your pass, slow down and move the f-over, or (if you aren't passing and you're wrong), then get out of the way.

I get that speeding, even slightly, is illegal. If I am speeding 5-10 over, that is my concern and not yours, unless you are a police officer. If you don't have a badge, it isnt your job to be Team America: World Police. Mind your business. The ticket (should I get one) is mine and mine alone. I will pay it and move on. *DISCLAIMER* This mentality doesn't apply to aggressive/wreckless driving such as Mr. Camaro Driver up there, but in that case the best thing to do is get out of the way and let him go, that way you aren't placing yourself or those around you in any MORE danger by taking a bad situation and making it worse.

If you hog the left lane for more than a mile, it ruffles my feathers. If the right lane is blocked, even more so. Short of pushing you out of the way by hitting your car, brandishing a weapon, or passing unsafely (Mr. Camaro), I will do everything I can to get you to move over. My lights are bright, and (window tint or not) if I fire them up, you will move. A friendly flash of the high beams is my first reminder. Then, the lower light bar. Then the upper. if 100,000 Lumens doesn't make you move, the train horn will.

In Texas, its a $400 fine if you get nailed for the left lane violation. That is far higher than most speeding tickets.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 09-30-17 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-30-17, 03:41 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Here is a vid that shows why.
Old 09-30-17, 06:23 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm curious as to which US or Canadian jurisdiction says that the left lane is the "fast lane"? In which specific traffic law or bylaw is there a specific rule that states quite explicitly that the left lane is for speeders who don't want to look at speed limit signs or obey basic driver safety rules about tailgating, aggressive driving and unsafe habits?

Other than the fact that local law enforcement doesn't want to crack down on speeders or tailgaters, there is very little to back up the argument that a speeder in the left lane gets to try and bully a driver in front of them while said driver is basically occupying the left lane for a number of reasons: passing another slower car that is traveling below the posted speed limit, attempting to get ready to occupy a left turn lane ahead, or is trying to slow down for slower traffic up ahead.

Still want to know what traffic law allows speeders, tailgaters and assorted aggressive drivers to "urge" a vehicle ahead to speed. This ain't the wild redneck west or some Third World country that has just discovered personal vehicles.
Old 09-30-17, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
I'm curious as to which US or Canadian jurisdiction says that the left lane is the "fast lane"? In which specific traffic law or bylaw is there a specific rule that states quite explicitly that the left lane is for speeders who don't want to look at speed limit signs or obey basic driver safety rules about tailgating, aggressive driving and unsafe habits?

Other than the fact that local law enforcement doesn't want to crack down on speeders or tailgaters, there is very little to back up the argument that a speeder in the left lane gets to try and bully a driver in front of them while said driver is basically occupying the left lane for a number of reasons: passing another slower car that is traveling below the posted speed limit, attempting to get ready to occupy a left turn lane ahead, or is trying to slow down for slower traffic up ahead.

Still want to know what traffic law allows speeders, tailgaters and assorted aggressive drivers to "urge" a vehicle ahead to speed. This ain't the wild redneck west or some Third World country that has just discovered personal vehicles.
Some good points, Matty. I generally agree.
Old 09-30-17, 07:39 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

What really bothers me are the impatient drivers, especially in these 2 situations:
  1. When I am driving through an intersection, when I have the right of way, I am finding that I have to be particularly careful about drivers approaching the intersection from the cross-road on my right. In the hope that they can make the right-turn-on-red without stopping (not even doing a rolling stop) at their red light, they approach fast and brake late. I am afraid that just one driver braking late will T-bone me in the intersection.
  2. I find that there are many impatient drivers who look no further than their front bumper, so they see me braking to a stop but do not realize why I may be stopping on that residential street. I may be forced to stop because the idiot in front of me suddenly stopped to make a left turn and waiting for oncoming traffic. I may stop to allow oncoming drivers to proceed through a particularly narrow section of the road, between 2 parked cars (if the oncoming driver approaches first, I allow them through). Often, that impatient driver behind me tries to pass on that narrow residential street and only the courtesy of oncoming drivers avoids an accident. Of course, if the driver behind me can look no further than their front bumper and see my rear bumper, they are following too closely.
I have met these drivers even in school zones so if I am dropping my son off at school in the morning, I try to go before the rush to work starts.
Old 09-30-17, 07:57 PM
Altair97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, new here...

I live in Adelaide Australia and we have on our roads a thing called the Adelaide Swing out, It is where the car in front of you without indicating or braking swings into the other lane to leave you with a stopped vehicle waiting to turn across traffic. You slamm you foot on the anchors and hope in all hell you don't get rear ended.
Old 09-30-17, 08:04 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

The law is implied by the signs such as the ones posted above. Read your drivers manual. White-on-black signs are laws, punishable by a traffic citation.

Texas Traffic Code:TRANSPORTATION CODE

TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC

SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD

CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES
, Sec. 545.363. MINIMUM SPEED REGULATIONS. (a) An operator may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

Sec. 545.051. a) An operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right half of the roadway, unless: (b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:

(1) passing another vehicle; or

(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

In other words, if you aren't turning left and you aren't passing another (slower moving) vehicle, THERE IS NO REASON FOR YOU TO BE IN THE LEFT LANE.

The ONLY exception to that law, is when passing a shoulder-parked emergency vehicle.

Now, that doesn't give people a liscense to be dicks and tailgate and drive aggressively. In fact, quite the opposite. But the left lane law violation according to texas transportation code is a Class C Misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of $500. (I thought it was $400, it went up). They take it pretty seriously here.

In Houston in 2015, TX State Troopers actively enforced it for 1 8 hour shift. The results were staggering. 5 officers wrote 236 tickets at $500 each. In one day.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 09-30-17 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-30-17, 08:11 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Texas Dept of Transportation - Highway Driving:

Watch for signs on Texas multi-lane highways that read "Left Lane For Passing Only." These signs let you know that the left lane on a divided highway is not a "fast" lane; it is a passing lane.After you pass someone, move into the right lane once you've safely cleared the vehicle. Impeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine of up to $200.
Old 09-30-17, 08:13 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Aggressive driving:

http://www.txdot.gov/driver/share-ro...e-drivers.html

If you've ever been passed on the wrong side, tailgated, cut off or hemmed in by another vehicle, you've been the victim of an aggressive driver. Drivers may be fined up to $200 for each moving violation associated with aggressive driving and could spend time in jail.
As a driver you need to look at your actions and your speedometer. Hurrying up will not get you there any faster.

Avoid Becoming an Aggressive Driver
  • Keep your emotions in check. Don't take your frustrations out on other drivers.
  • Plan ahead and allow enough time for delays.
  • Focus on your own driving. Yelling, pounding on the steering wheel and honking your horn won't make traffic move any faster.

Last edited by MattyG; 09-30-17 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-30-17, 09:02 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Texas Dept of Transportation - Highway Driving:
I'm not arguing that point.
Aggressive driving:

http://www.txdot.gov/driver/share-ro...e-drivers.html

As a driver you need to look at your actions and your speedometer. Hurrying up will not get you there any faster.

nor that one. Hurrying might not get you there faster, but driving faster, will. Its simple physics. If my wife and I leave and have to take 2 cars somewhere, i always beat her to the destination. If my average speed is 60, and hers is 55, I will get there first. Every time. She drives like a grandma. I do not. I try not to be "aggressive", but I am not faultless, nor is anyone else on this forum. Its like texting and driving. 99% of folks have done it at one time or another, even though when asked its "oh i never do that"

I do not, nor does anyone else that i know, have time to sit behind you for 5 minutes while you pass the car in the right lane (thats doing 60) at 62...IN A 70 OR 75 ZONE. At that point, the offender is impeding the flow of traffic. I see this **** every day. If you arent comfortable at the posted speed limit in dry conditions, why are you driving? Or are you so selfish to think that just because you might not be worried about 5 extra minutes, the guy behind you cant be either?

Edit: i'm using the word "you" as an example. I'm not directing my statements toward any particular person, even though I quoted you MattyG, its not my intent to single anyone out.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 09-30-17 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?