Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Lexus Sees the Future of Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 11:03 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default How Lexus Sees the Future of Vehicles

How Lexus Sees the Future of Vehicles

Why bother with a plug-in hybrid when you can have a full-on EV? Check out the thoughts and views on the future of vehicles wearing the Lexus badge.

By Thomas Mabson - October 3, 2017

Old 10-04-17, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In most places, I'm not (yet) convinced that the future is going to be centered around EVs...at least not until the ranges are comparable to internal-combustion vehicles, and charging times reduced. Although there is a relatively small electric-car-cult, too much of the public is simply too used to gas/diesel vehicles, the basic infrastructure is set up for them, and if the politicians get too far removed from public opinion in demanding EVs (California, are you listening?) the public will simply elect new politicians.
Old 10-04-17, 12:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

slideshow says lexus' focus is on hydrogen fuel cell vehicles as supercharging batteries only damages them and slow charging isn't practical. interesting...
Old 10-04-17, 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
slideshow says lexus' focus is on hydrogen fuel cell vehicles as supercharging batteries only damages them and slow charging isn't practical. interesting...
Fuel cells, though, need highly-compressed/pressurized hydrogen (20,000 PSI), though, for the reaction needed to produce that electricity for the motor. You aren't going to find that at 99.999% of gas-stations.
Old 10-04-17, 01:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Someone explain how the Lexus execs can claim Lexus plug in hybrids are not needed or useless or whatever they claim try Toyota offers a Prius plug-in ?

Lexus is making a huge huge mistake by not offering a plug in option for their hybrids. The BMW 530i with wireless charging is just an amazing offering in said class of vehicles.

Sad. I feel Lexus is making such a mistake.
Old 10-04-17, 03:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Plug-in is an intermediate between hybrids and full electric vehicles.
Maybe TMC wants to just focus on full blown EV's and hydrogen fuel cell powered HFCEV's for long range and genuinely low emissions, while plug-ins will still produce a certain amount of *** like hybrids such that it is not a big move forwards.
Old 10-04-17, 04:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Maybe TMC wants to just focus on full blown EV's and hydrogen fuel cell powered HFCEV's for long range and genuinely low emissions, while plug-ins will still produce a certain amount of *** like hybrids such that it is not a big move forwards.
I don't see why a Toyota Prius can get a little plug in while the luxury line can't. Seems to me like Toyota made a mistake a few years back when they planned out their future a few years back.
Old 10-04-17, 04:11 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Any how pretty sure internal combustion engine driven vehicles will be slowly out of production. Fuel cell, solar power, and battery technology will evolve too, IMO.
Didn't GM already announce about EV in this regard. Even Chinese, France, Germany moving towards next technology.
Old 10-04-17, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't see why a Toyota Prius can get a little plug in while the luxury line can't. Seems to me like Toyota made a mistake a few years back when they planned out their future a few years back.

The Prius has become a real gold mine for Toyota in sales. Lexus, who, of course, is under Toyota management, probably doesn't want to chip away at that domination of the market with another competitor. The Prius Plug-in is going to have enough competition as it is when people start to look at alternatives like the Kia Niro and Hyundai Ioniq, which offer the same type of drivetrain in a far more conventional package, inside and out.
Old 10-04-17, 04:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I've always wanted TMC to have more plug-in hybrids too.
I even wanted a Lexus ES350p Plug-in as opposed to the traditional ES300h Hybrid.
However, maybe TMC doesn't want to invest into too many alternative models because they see a big future in full blown EV's and hydrogen fuel cell powered HFCEV's which are both not too far off the horizon?
Old 10-04-17, 04:50 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

I even wanted a Lexus ES350p Plug-in as opposed to the traditional ES300h Hybrid.
However, maybe TMC doesn't want to invest into too many alternative models because they see a big future in full blown EV's and hydrogen fuel cell powered HFCEV's which are both not too far off the horizon?
For plug-in vehicles, we need a network of charging stations all over the country(A new infrastructure). Places like U.S. or Canada, without the structure completed selling
Plug-in vehicles in large numbers would be pretty difficult.
Old 10-04-17, 04:52 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Htony
For plug-in vehicles, we need a network of charging stations all over the country(A new infrastructure). Places like U.S. or Canada, without the structure completed selling
Plug-in vehicles in large numbers would be pretty difficult.
Alternatively, if there is no network of charging stations around, just recharge the Lion battery packs with the built-in conventional gasoline internal combustion engine.

However, if TMC's full blown EV's are just around the corner to debut in 2022 etc, then I can see why TMC would hold off on plug-ins.

I suspect that today, there are far too many alternative technologies available including electric compressor turbos which can accelerate to 70,000 rpm in 0.2 second to eliminate turbo lag.
Developing and producing all these alternative technologies simultaneously for use in the short term, would prove to be very expensive...

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-04-17 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-04-17, 06:24 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Someone explain how the Lexus execs can claim Lexus plug in hybrids are not needed or useless or whatever they claim try Toyota offers a Prius plug-in ?

Lexus is making a huge huge mistake by not offering a plug in option for their hybrids. The BMW 530i with wireless charging is just an amazing offering in said class of vehicles.

Sad. I feel Lexus is making such a mistake.
I find this attitude strange coming from someone who does not like hybrid vehicles.

Plug-in hybrid cars are absolute compromise vehicles, much more so than hybrid vehicles. Adding battery capacity adds weight to the vehicle that may not bring much payback.

If the extra battery capacity is too small (like in the 1st-generation Prius Plug-in), it begs the question: "Why put in more battery capacity (which brings with it extra weight) for such little gain?". The extra battery capacity becomes a drag on the vehicle.

If the extra battery capacity is greater, for greater range (like in the Chevrolet Volt), it brings with it its own problems:
  • The large battery has very long recharge times on normal household current, without a dedicated charger.
  • Where does the automaker place the extra-large battery (especially on a sedan) without compromising passenger space (placing the battery in the passenger compartment like in the Volt), or cargo space (placing the battery in the trunk like in the Prius PHV) and placing a lot of extra weight over or behind the rear axle (thus ruining the balance of the vehicle)? This was a greater problem with lower-capacity nickel-metal hydride batteries that Toyota used (and is still using) because it was not satisfied with the durability (until recently) of lithium-ion batteries.
  • The heavy internal combustion engine range-extender becomes the drag on the vehicle. With so much weight already dedicated to the battery, how much more battery capacity if the equivalent weight of the engine were replaced by battery? What would be the range of such a pure electric vehicle?

However, if TMC's full blown EV's are just around the corner to debut in 2022 etc, then I can see why TMC would hold off on plug-ins.
If Toyota / Lexus truly is only 4 or 5 years (1 generation) away from an EV powered by an industry-leading solid-state battery, then I can understand not going with plug-in hybrids.

That said, I hope that this statement by Alain Uyttenhoven, head of Lexus Europe, is not another example of a Toyota / Lexus senior manager speaking too quickly and putting a foot in the mouth, saying something that may be regretted later.
Old 10-04-17, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor

I forgot to add, though......that color is gorgeous. That is a true Amythist...the classic purple-gray. Always was one of my favorites, though, as with most manufacturers, we rarely see it in production.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-04-17 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-04-17, 07:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Just seems strange that Toyota offers a plug in Prius but they give excuses for not offering a plug in for Lexus.

Quick Reply: How Lexus Sees the Future of Vehicles