GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Illuminated Door Sill Plates - Lexus.com

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 08:49 PM
tjp74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atc1
Also in his statement: "As stated by our local dealersghip, only the front 2 light up. I have not ordered a kit yet so I can't verify that."

I read two segments of conflicting information, which is why I asked for clarification.
He said the one he has in stock is the one imported from Japan. 4 sills, 4 lights up.

Then he mentions that there is a US kit sold for $369, cheaper than the japan kit that can be ordered at local US dealer and it only lights up front 2.

Last edited by tjp74; 01-24-08 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-25-08, 09:51 AM
Carson-Lex
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the best way is to see if a local dealership has a set of the US ones in stock, so they can check if the four light up. I called the lexus dealers in our area, and they have to be ordered.

The JDM ones I have, all four light up. I also looked at the package and there are some wires that plug in, and some that have the tap connectors at the end. Here are some pics I just added up

In this pic you see 1 front and 1 rear sill

here is the back of the sills

and here are the package of wires and hardware they come with, pretty much the tap wires are power and ground
Old 01-25-08, 11:05 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Hmmm, $500 for 4 or $300 for 2, blue or white lights, decisions, decisions . . .
Old 01-25-08, 11:07 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Japan door sills are not in stock anymore Someone bought them
Old 01-25-08, 01:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very nice. it's so stupid that japan already has 4 doors light up already but even for 08 it's just front 2 here in the US
Old 01-25-08, 02:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The JDM Lexus version of the doorsills are thinner in profile as far as actual height of the piece. You can see that is evident with the black textured border around the plates.
Old 01-25-08, 05:08 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
very nice. it's so stupid that japan already has 4 doors light up already but even for 08 it's just front 2 here in the US
Well that is nothing new, Japan always gets the new goodies first, and then it comes to the US (if at all). For years the 'real' Skyline was never available in the US, and the GS350 was available in Japan almost a year before it came over here. I guess rank has it's privileges. . .
Old 01-31-08, 09:53 AM
atc1
Driver

I have placed an order for illuminated door sills for the 3GS. Supposedly, there are four sills (front and rear) with wiring harnesses. This kit is obviously for a 2008 GS350.

The parts guy said that the information associated with the part number indicates a fit for an ’07 as well. I believe I have read where the ’08 only comes with lighted sills in the front.

I will be curious to see the harnesses to determine if they will “plug-in” to the existing wiring on an ‘07. Expect a follow-up post from me when I receive the kit (about 10 days).
Update:
I received the kit this morning. Part number is: PT413-30070
Price shipped via UPS: a few dollars less what was reported here

Kit includes:
Hardware kit w/power harness
Left and Right Front Illuminated Door Sill Protectors
Left and Right Rear Door Sill Protectors (*not illuminated*)

Please refer to Post #62 above for pictures. The sills look almost identical except that the black textured border (plastic) extends: (1) 2 1/2" either side of the brushed aluminum for the front and (2) 1 1/2" either side of the brushed aluminum for the rear. The overall length of the front is 24 5/8" and 15 1/4" for the rear.

The color of the lens on the illuminated ones looks just like a soft white light bulb. I suspect they light up white, however if the actual bulbs (or LED's) are blue, then obviously they will light up blue. There is no way to tell just by looking at them.

I purchased this kit from a Lexus dealer who was kind enough to print out 22 pages that give very detailed instructions. The header at the top of each page says:

LEXUS GS350/430/460 2007- Illuminated Door Sills

This definitely can be a DIY project. The wiring harness taps into existing wiring found in the cowl area on each side (i.e. left of the parking brake). Again, the instructions are very detailed. I would estimate less than 1 hours work for the front. The rears may take you all of 5 minutes. In my opinion, I see no reason to install the rear sills unless you just want all four to match. My '07 factory sills do not have black plastic textured boarders; just a brushed aluminum sill that mounts flush to the painted surface. The ones in the kit are 1/4" thick at the top and 3/16" thick at the bottom.

Hopefully this has been helpful in your decision to purchase or not. Thanks go out to Carson-Lex (Luis Salazar) for his information as well.

Last edited by atc1; 01-31-08 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-31-08, 10:44 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Carson-Lex
I guess the best way is to see if a local dealership has a set of the US ones in stock, so they can check if the four light up. I called the lexus dealers in our area, and they have to be ordered.

The JDM ones I have, all four light up. I also looked at the package and there are some wires that plug in, and some that have the tap connectors at the end. Here are some pics I just added up

In this pic you see 1 front and 1 rear sill

here is the back of the sills

and here are the package of wires and hardware they come with, pretty much the tap wires are power and ground

I might buy a set, and sell my two fronts that came factory illuminated (white). Anyone interested in buying my front illuminated sills, PM me for info.

Luis, I'll give you a call very sooon.
Old 01-31-08, 10:53 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

white looks so much better bro

I'd rather have 2 white front than 4 blue ones
Old 01-31-08, 11:00 AM
drewdogg80
Driver

Update:
I received the kit this morning. Part number is: PT413-30070
Price shipped via UPS: a few dollars less what was reported here

Kit includes:
Hardware kit w/power harness
Left and Right Front Illuminated Door Sill Protectors
Left and Right Rear Door Sill Protectors (*not illuminated*)

Please refer to Post #62 above for pictures. The sills look almost identical except that the black textured border (plastic) extends: (1) 2 1/2" either side of the brushed aluminum for the front and (2) 1 1/2" either side of the brushed aluminum for the rear. The overall length of the front is 24 5/8" and 15 1/4" for the rear.

The color of the lens on the illuminated ones looks just like a soft white light bulb. I suspect they light up white, however if the actual bulbs (or LED's) are blue, then obviously they will light up blue. There is no way to tell just by looking at them.

I purchased this kit from a Lexus dealer who was kind enough to print out 22 pages that give very detailed instructions. The header at the top of each page says:

LEXUS GS350/430/460 2007- Illuminated Door Sills

This definitely can be a DIY project. The wiring harness taps into existing wiring found in the cowl area on each side (i.e. left of the parking brake). Again, the instructions are very detailed. I would estimate less than 1 hours work for the front. The rears may take you all of 5 minutes. In my opinion, I see no reason to install the rear sills unless you just want all four to match. My '07 factory sills do not have black plastic textured boarders; just a brushed aluminum sill that mounts flush to the painted surface. The ones in the kit are 1/4" thick at the top and 3/16" thick at the bottom.

Hopefully this has been helpful in your decision to purchase or not. Thanks go out to Carson-Lex (Luis Salazar) for his information as well.

Hopefully we'll have a detailed DIY installation post with pics soon.
Old 01-31-08, 11:14 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If this was a direct plug and play (plugs hidden under the sills like the IS ) then I would loved to have tackled this.
Old 01-31-08, 11:19 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
white looks so much better bro

I'd rather have 2 white front than 4 blue ones
I guess my butt is itching to do mods on my car. Still waiting for my wheels. =(
Old 01-31-08, 01:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
I guess my butt is itching to do mods on my car. Still waiting for my wheels. =(
lol, i am so over small mods already, too painful down the road

i thought your wheels should be here 2 weeks ago?
Old 02-10-08, 09:48 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I was the one that ordered the Lexus Japan Illuminated Door Sills from Luis... As we are busy remodeling the house I didn't even try to install them myself, Auto Fashion did that for me, they got it done is less than 1 hour...

They definitely look very nice and provide some extra "Luxury" at night. The light color is more on the white side than on the blue side, specially in real, the picture did make them look more bluey than they really are.

Remember this is the Lexus Japan Illuminated Door Sill, the one with all 4 doors!

Front door

Rear door

Quick Reply: Illuminated Door Sill Plates - Lexus.com