Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

RX 450h brake groans when almost released…

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-23, 07:50 PM
tuffy450h
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RX 450h brake groans when almost released…

Hello. Has anyone experienced their brakes on their 450h making groan/grind noise as it is being gradually released from a complete stop? Mostly happens at low speed or when stop & go in traffic. It also makes knocking noise when the car is on reverse and brake is released from a stop. I saw the service bulletin L-SB-0035-21 that mentions brake squawking/braking due to air in actuator - is it related? Should I be concerned about the groaning/grinding sound when the brakes are almost released from a stop?

Last edited by tuffy450h; 04-02-23 at 09:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hojo1254 (04-12-24)
Old 04-03-23, 08:11 AM
tuffy450h
3rd Gear

Default RX 450h brakes groaning as pedal being released from a stop…

Hello. Has anyone experienced their brakes on their 450h making groan/grind noise as it is being gradually released from a complete stop? Mostly happens at low speed or when stop & go in traffic. It also makes knocking noise when the car is on reverse and brake is released from a stop. I saw the service bulletin L-SB-0035-21 that mentions brake squawking/braking due to air in actuator - is it related? Should I be concerned about the groaning/grinding sound when the brakes are almost released from a stop?
hojo1254 (04-12-24)
Old 05-08-23, 05:24 PM
Macintech
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffy450h
My 2017 RX450h has 82k miles and it has a squeaking noise when the brake pedal is pressed at low city speeds. I took it to my Lexus dealer during routine maintenance (December 2022) and asked about this same service bulletin. Technician verified my issue, but since my vehicle is out of warranty, it is about $3,200. The service advisor seemed honest and recommend against the expensive repair since I was out of warranty and that the vehicle is still safe to drive. He told me not to be concerned and save my money instead. At this point, I am not concerned and will leave it as it is. It is a fairly quiet sound, so music easily drains it out, although that isn't a real solution haha.
hojo1254 (04-12-24)
Old 05-09-23, 01:58 PM
tuffy450h
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Macintech
My 2017 RX450h has 82k miles and it has a squeaking noise when the brake pedal is pressed at low city speeds. I took it to my Lexus dealer during routine maintenance (December 2022) and asked about this same service bulletin. Technician verified my issue, but since my vehicle is out of warranty, it is about $3,200. The service advisor seemed honest and recommend against the expensive repair since I was out of warranty and that the vehicle is still safe to drive. He told me not to be concerned and save my money instead. At this point, I am not concerned and will leave it as it is. It is a fairly quiet sound, so music easily drains it out, although that isn't a real solution haha.
I appreciate your input. Thanks.
hojo1254 (04-12-24)
Old 03-25-24, 01:32 PM
Robbie004
6th Gear

This is a brake actuator. RX hybrid is plagued with this problem. Get an exception from Toyota / Lexus and make them replace it.
My 2022 RX 450h had to have the actuator replaced before I took delivery of it. Don't put up with it the the maker knows of the problem full well.
hojo1254 (04-12-24)
Old 04-11-24, 12:44 PM
Macintech
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Robbie004
This is a brake actuator. RX hybrid is plagued with this problem. Get an exception from Toyota / Lexus and make them replace it.
My 2022 RX 450h had to have the actuator replaced before I took delivery of it. Don't put up with it the the maker knows of the problem full well.
How can I go about getting an exception?

For some background, I purchased the RX used in November 2022 with 79k miles (from a non-Lexus dealership), so it was already outside of the warranty period.
I went on the My Lexus website and was able to pull up all the service records from the prior owner. It was religiously maintained at a Lexus dealership every 5k miles.
It turns out that the previous owner has experienced this problem as well, and has brought it to the dealer's attention twice while it was under warranty, but the brake actuator was never replaced.

On February 1, 2019, L-SB-0004-19 stated that for 2016-2017 model RX450h, Remove and Replace Brake Actuator, Master Cylinder Reservoir and Perform Reflash. The vehicle was taken in for service on May 7, 2019 and the dealership did not approve of this service bulletin, even though Lexus was already aware of the issue by then.

Of course L-SB-0035-21 was released on October 4, 2021 and deems the prior service bulletins obsolete, but the fix remains the same. Only difference is that it now includes model years 2016-2021.

Is there a way I can get an exception with this information? It was brought up twice during the first ownership, and the second time there was already a service bulletin for it.

From the service records:
October 11, 2018 - 16,449 miles
REPORTED BY: Lexus of Serramonte
SERVICE: ABS ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY
DESCRIPTION: ~|~GUEST STATES THERE IS A SQUAWKING SOUND HEARD WHEN APPLYING THE BRAKE PEDAL AND RELEASING IT. PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE. ~|~SOUND CONCERN ~|~16448 VERIFIED GUESTS CONCERN, ROAD TESTED VEHICLE AND CONFIRMED SQUAWK NOISE PRESENT UPON RELEASING BRAKE PEDAL. INSPECTED AND FOUND MICRO BUBBLES IN BRAKE FLUID. PERFORMED UNIVERSAL BRAKE BLEEDING PROCEDURE 3 TIMES.

May 7, 2019 - 25,207 miles
SERVICE: NORMAL OPERATION AT THIS TIME
DESCRIPTION: ~|~GUEST REPORTS THAT UNDER HEAVY BRAKING THEY CAN HEAR A SQUEAKING TYPE SOUND. CHECK BRAKES AND ADVISE. ~|~ ~|~PERFORMED BRAKE INSPECTION. FRONT 9MM REAR 8MM. NO PROBLEMS FOUND WITH BRAKES AT THIS TIME.

December 2, 2022 - 79,875 miles (UNDER MY OWNERSHIP)

REPORTED BY: Lexus Stevens Creek
SERVICE: GUEST STATES
DESCRIPTION:~|~GUEST STATES WHEN USING OR APPLYING BRAKES THERE IS A HYDRAULIC SQUEAKY NOISE COMING FROM BRAKES PLEASE ADVISE ~|~BRAKE NOISE FROM ACTUATOR ~|~GUEST STATES BRAKE NOISE WHEN APPLYING BRAKES, TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND CONFIRMED BRAKE NOISE HEARD WHILE BRAKING, BRAKE NOISE FROM ACTUATOR WHEN APPLYING BRAKES, SUGGEST REPLACING BRAKE ACTUATOR, RESERVOIR AND REPROGRAM ECU

hojo1254 (04-12-24)
Old 04-11-24, 01:51 PM
Robbie004
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Macintech
How can I go about getting an exception?

For some background, I purchased the RX used in November 2022 with 79k miles (from a non-Lexus dealership), so it was already outside of the warranty period.
I went on the My Lexus website and was able to pull up all the service records from the prior owner. It was religiously maintained at a Lexus dealership every 5k miles.
It turns out that the previous owner has experienced this problem as well, and has brought it to the dealer's attention twice while it was under warranty, but the brake actuator was never replaced.

On February 1, 2019, L-SB-0004-19 stated that for 2016-2017 model RX450h, Remove and Replace Brake Actuator, Master Cylinder Reservoir and Perform Reflash. The vehicle was taken in for service on May 7, 2019 and the dealership did not approve of this service bulletin, even though Lexus was already aware of the issue by then.

Of course L-SB-0035-21 was released on October 4, 2021 and deems the prior service bulletins obsolete, but the fix remains the same. Only difference is that it now includes model years 2016-2021.

Is there a way I can get an exception with this information? It was brought up twice during the first ownership, and the second time there was already a service bulletin for it.

From the service records:
October 11, 2018 - 16,449 miles
SERVICE: ABS ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY
DESCRIPTION: ~|~GUEST STATES THERE IS A SQUAWKING SOUND HEARD WHEN APPLYING THE BRAKE PEDAL AND RELEASING IT. PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE. ~|~SOUND CONCERN ~|~16448 VERIFIED GUESTS CONCERN, ROAD TESTED VEHICLE AND CONFIRMED SQUAWK NOISE PRESENT UPON RELEASING BRAKE PEDAL. INSPECTED AND FOUND MICRO BUBBLES IN BRAKE FLUID. PERFORMED UNIVERSAL BRAKE BLEEDING PROCEDURE 3 TIMES.

May 7, 2019 - 25,207 miles
SERVICE: NORMAL OPERATION AT THIS TIME
DESCRIPTION: ~|~GUEST REPORTS THAT UNDER HEAVY BRAKING THEY CAN HEAR A SQUEAKING TYPE SOUND. CHECK BRAKES AND ADVISE. ~|~ ~|~PERFORMED BRAKE INSPECTION. FRONT 9MM REAR 8MM. NO PROBLEMS FOUND WITH BRAKES AT THIS TIME.

December 2, 2022 - 79,875 miles (UNDER MY OWNERSHIP)

REPORTED BY: Lexus Stevens Creek
SERVICE: GUEST STATES
DESCRIPTION:~|~GUEST STATES WHEN USING OR APPLYING BRAKES THERE IS A HYDRAULIC SQUEAKY NOISE COMING FROM BRAKES PLEASE ADVISE ~|~BRAKE NOISE FROM ACTUATOR ~|~GUEST STATES BRAKE NOISE WHEN APPLYING BRAKES, TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND CONFIRMED BRAKE NOISE HEARD WHILE BRAKING, BRAKE NOISE FROM ACTUATOR WHEN APPLYING BRAKES, SUGGEST REPLACING BRAKE ACTUATOR, RESERVOIR AND REPROGRAM ECU

This is a bummer. I would think it is nearly impossible to get consideration / exception for the actuator to be replaced given you have not owned it under any type of new or CPO Lexus warranty. I have learned that the actuator groaning problem is rather benign unless ECU codes are displayed that indicate a brake actuator problem. IE: No operational / safety need to replace the actuator when there are no actuator codes.
hojo1254 (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 10:05 PM
hojo1254
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffy450h
My wife's 2022 RX450h has just developed same noise @ 20,000 miles.

Scheduled for 0800 appointment at dealer (SoCal).on Monday, April 15th, 2024.

No sure which will be a bigger $number...???: The Lexus or my 1040 tax return. LOL.
Old 04-13-24, 09:38 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by hojo1254
My wife's 2022 RX450h has just developed same noise @ 20,000 miles.

Scheduled for 0800 appointment at dealer (SoCal).on Monday, April 15th, 2024.

No sure which will be a bigger $number...???: The Lexus or my 1040 tax return. LOL.
where was your RX assembled?
Old 04-13-24, 05:26 PM
hojo1254
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 703
Hello 703:

Cambridge, Ontario (Canada)
Old 04-14-24, 02:39 PM
Macintech
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Robbie004
This is a bummer. I would think it is nearly impossible to get consideration / exception for the actuator to be replaced given you have not owned it under any type of new or CPO Lexus warranty. I have learned that the actuator groaning problem is rather benign unless ECU codes are displayed that indicate a brake actuator problem. IE: No operational / safety need to replace the actuator when there are no actuator codes.
After I posted that, I ended up reaching out to the Lexus Brand Engagement Center online and provided the same information. I received a reply today that they have escalated my case to a manager and I should hear back by tomorrow. Keeping my hopes up for a goodwill repair, but I also understand if they are unable to do so.
hojo1254 (04-14-24)
Old 04-14-24, 04:55 PM
hojo1254
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 703
Hi 703:
Just curious why you were interested in where RX 450h was assembled. Why was assembly location "important" to you?
Old 04-15-24, 07:13 AM
hojo1254
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 703
Hey 703: Why were you interested in WHERE the RX 450h was assembled?
Thanks,
hojo1254.
Old 04-15-24, 11:33 AM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Some folk think that RXs assembled in Japan are better workmanship, over those made in Canada. I've owned both and could not tell a difference.
Old 04-16-24, 08:49 AM
hojo1254
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RGSW
Some folk think that RXs assembled in Japan are better workmanship, over those made in Canada. I've owned both and could not tell a difference.
Thanks, RGSW.

Btw, Lexus in Temecula, CA is now replacing the actuator at no change. No push back whatsoever.

3.8 hours @ $218 per hour shop rate plus parts is "on the house"...lol..

Quick Reply: RX 450h brake groans when almost released…