LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

4th Generation LS 460 apple car play conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 10:13 AM
JAllen20
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4th Generation LS 460 apple car play conversion

Hello everyone.

I currently have a 2013 LS 460 with 50000 miles that i am looking to convert to apple car play (for convenience) using NAVIKS system:

https://naviks.com/i-24076890-2013-2...interface.html

youtube demo video:

Has anyone added it to their 2013-2017 lexus ? Or any experience with the NAVIKS brand?

If so can you please advise how it is and/or things to look out for ?

It would be much appreciated if you were descriptive as much as possible.

Any and all info is helpfuul.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-23, 08:26 PM
sillyajay
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw this same video a month ago and I was extremely excited that there's an OEM looking solution for WIRELESS carplay/android auto. I don't have a LS 460 (yet) but this is definitely the first thing I'm doing when I get it.
Old 04-25-23, 06:25 AM
HushedRide
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I installed a similar unit in another car. The main difficulty is trim panel removal and installation. That's just a matter of knowing how they clip in and out. Youtube has at least a couple LS460 install videos from other CarPlay units. The more video you can find, the better.

Would recommend getting a set of automotive plastic pry tools and some anti-rattle tape for the wires.
Old 04-25-23, 07:59 AM
JAllen20
3rd Gear

See I'm not worried about installation.

My main concern was performance such as:

- (MAIN ONE) Is there any latency or delay with the system?
- Any consistent problems it has.
- Does it even switch to the back up camera input upon putting it in reverse?
- Does the screen mirror option work well?
- is the phone quality the same?

Any thoughts from other members is appreciated.

Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
THE_CEO (04-25-23)
Old 04-25-23, 08:35 AM
sillyajay
Driver School Candidate

In the Naviks video there didn't seem to be any latency.
Both of them have reverse cable connection so I assume both will work.
My understanding is that there is no screen mirroring on either Naviks or Beat Sonic.
What do you mean "phone quality"? Like phone call audio quality?
Old 04-25-23, 09:38 AM
JAllen20
3rd Gear

Well you know how these people are,

there may not be latency according to the video, but there may be very small latency when operating.

which is why I was in hopes of someone having a naviks system of their own.

and yes I was talking in reference of phone call quality.
THE_CEO (04-25-23)
Old 04-30-23, 01:47 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JAllen20
Well you know how these people are,

there may not be latency according to the video, but there may be very small latency when operating.

which is why I was in hopes of someone having a naviks system of their own.

and yes I was talking in reference of phone call quality.
I went with Beatsonic for my 2013 and it’s such a nice change from the crap that was the Vline2 on my 07. It just works - every time. No restarting my phone or disconnecting power to the unit to reboot it. No lag that is perceptible to me. For calls, the car reverts back to the OEM bluetooth. So in other words, it sounds and works great. Eric at Beatsonic is also absolutely awesome to work with from a tech/customer support standpoint. With our cars and the Beatsonic unit, you can preserve the OEM USB ports in the center console as well, which I think is a nice touch. Unit is installed in the glove compartment, wireless CarPlay antenna in the center console near the shifter. Very easy install.
Old 05-01-23, 03:53 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
I went with Beatsonic for my 2013 and it’s such a nice change from the crap that was the Vline2 on my 07. It just works - every time. No restarting my phone or disconnecting power to the unit to reboot it. No lag that is perceptible to me. For calls, the car reverts back to the OEM bluetooth. So in other words, it sounds and works great. Eric at Beatsonic is also absolutely awesome to work with from a tech/customer support standpoint. With our cars and the Beatsonic unit, you can preserve the OEM USB ports in the center console as well, which I think is a nice touch. Unit is installed in the glove compartment, wireless CarPlay antenna in the center console near the shifter. Very easy install.
for 2011 ls460 what would you recommend to add android auto? non ML system so if its any easier. Appears to the vine be widely recommended but interested in opinions.
Old 05-02-23, 07:40 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

I’m not sure you have any choice other than the vline, unfortunately. As frustrating as the unit was, I’d still rather have it than go without CarPlay.
Sherl (05-02-23)
Old 05-03-23, 09:32 PM
semp10
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Naviks installed the system for me themselves since they are located pretty close to me. To answer your questions

1-There is a minor delay when navigating through the system. The main issue is that it does not occupy the full screen since on the 2013 model the screen is split in half. The mouse control has to be adjusted in the settings to make it a little easier to scroll. So, when you select an option, it also changes options on the other half of the screen, such as the climate control. I wouldn't say there's delays, but you do lose a little sound quality as it is connected through an auxiliary port.

2-Every once in a while, it has to be reset by holding the menu button down for 10 second.

3-Backup camera option works fine

4-Phone quality is the same and the screen mirroring works fine. Naviks installed a separate HDMI port in the center console

My only complaint with the system is when selecting it selects on both screens. That can be avoided by using the Siri or google voice option.

Old 05-07-23, 12:04 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by semp10
Naviks installed the system for me themselves since they are located pretty close to me. To answer your questions

1-There is a minor delay when navigating through the system. The main issue is that it does not occupy the full screen since on the 2013 model the screen is split in half. The mouse control has to be adjusted in the settings to make it a little easier to scroll. So, when you select an option, it also changes options on the other half of the screen, such as the climate control. I wouldn't say there's delays, but you do lose a little sound quality as it is connected through an auxiliary port.

2-Every once in a while, it has to be reset by holding the menu button down for 10 second.

3-Backup camera option works fine

4-Phone quality is the same and the screen mirroring works fine. Naviks installed a separate HDMI port in the center console

My only complaint with the system is when selecting it selects on both screens. That can be avoided by using the Siri or google voice option.
That’s a definite departure from the Beatsonic unit (joystick selections stay to the CarPlay side when on CarPlay and move to the factory functions seamlessly). I’m close to a month in now and have had zero crashes or failures to connect wirelessly. Beatsonic does cost more, though.
Old 09-01-24, 12:08 PM
sillyajay
Driver School Candidate

i ended up getting beatsonic about 2 months ago. i installed it myself, doesn't take any tools besides plastic pry tools, 10 mm socket, and an extension. steps are fairly straightforward, but it will take about 3-4 hours if it's your first time.

the unit works great. using the remote touch instead of a touchscreen is of course slightly worse, but for most things it's fine. wireless connects without issue. zero regrets buying this.
Rob6656 (09-02-24)