ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Card Key Addition

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 05:38 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Card Key Addition

Is it possible to add/use a card key for a base (premium package) ES 350?
Old 08-11-23, 11:55 AM
grp52
Instructor

Received 575 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOSKO
SmartAccess card key is an optional feature for all ES model types including base model types. Keep in mind you'll need someone (Lexus/Toyota dealer, locksmith, etc.) with vehicle security access credentials to program the card key into the vehicle immobilizer system.
The following users liked this post:
scubapr (05-31-24)
Old 08-11-23, 02:13 PM
tyleres
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If one does not come specifically for your car, then you can do some research. Basically the smart key ecu has a model number, in your case TMLF15. If you see a card key for a car, look up the smart key ecu and if they model number matches, then that car's key will work. For example the 2018 RX has the same Smart ECU model of TMLF15. If the '18 RX has a card key, it will work on the 7es

Info sourced from
Lexus Credit Card Key Working in Tacoma | Tacoma World
[INFO] Smart Key Card on the Avalon | Toyota Nation Forum
Old 08-11-23, 04:05 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 575 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by tyleres
If one does not come specifically for your car, then you can do some research. Basically the smart key ecu has a model number, in your case TMLF15. If you see a card key for a car, look up the smart key ecu and if they model number matches, then that car's key will work. For example the 2018 RX has the same Smart ECU model of TMLF15. If the '18 RX has a card key, it will work on the 7es

Info sourced from
Lexus Credit Card Key Working in Tacoma | Tacoma World
[INFO] Smart Key Card on the Avalon | Toyota Nation Forum
IIRC, that only works with the previous version of immobilizer system and NOT with the newer version implemented in the 7th generation ES.

I can't readily find the article on the change I read a while ago but IIRC the previous system had a security/theft vulnerability in it. So, Toyota/Lexus changed the system so that a restricted security access controlled pass code key was required to program keycodes (i.e., new key fobs and card keys) into a vehicle's immobilizer system. That changed system was implemented in the 7th generation ES along with other new Toyota and Lexus models.

Also, a while age there was a thread, Techstream Smart Key Seed Number Help!, discussing the issue of trying to get a new key programmed into a car.
Old 08-11-23, 09:16 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOSKO
Yes, I normally see this "Lexus Smart Access Card Key" as a $100 option when buying a new car.
I guess it would cost $100 for a (blank/template) card, and probably another $100 for programming it at a Lexus dealer.

Video and pics are not mine*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbtoASNK-E

Mugger52 (08-12-23)
Old 05-31-24, 02:16 PM
garagemonk
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I've searched and searched and searched. Can someone tell me the Card Key Part # that works on the 7th gen ES? I've only found information on 6th gen and older models.

Thank you!
Old 05-31-24, 02:39 PM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by garagemonk
Hello Everyone,

I've searched and searched and searched. Can someone tell me the Card Key Part # that works on the 7th gen ES? I've only found information on 6th gen and older models.

Thank you!
Mine says "DENSO Model: 14CBM" - 2023 ES 300h
FCC ID: HYQ14CBM

Last edited by scubapr; 05-31-24 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add fccid
garagemonk (05-31-24)
Old 05-31-24, 06:47 PM
garagemonk
Driver

Originally Posted by scubapr
Mine says "DENSO Model: 14CBM" - 2023 ES 300h
FCC ID: HYQ14CBM
Thank you! I think the Lexus Part# is 89904-48X71 -> Transmitter Sub Assembly - Lexus (89904-48X71)

How did you get it programmed? I called Lexus and they said my car does not have a smart key available to it :/
Old 05-31-24, 06:53 PM
scubapr
Intermediate

Thank you! I think the Lexus Part# is 89904-48X71 -> Transmitter Sub Assembly - Lexus (89904-48X71)

How did you get it programmed? I called Lexus and they said my car does not have a smart key available to it :/
Mine came with the car (Luxury Trim w/ most of the UL options). I received 2 Fobs + Card.
Some people don't like the card; but I do. It's my primary key (in wallet) and the 2 fobs are stored at home since day 1.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure, but I tend to agree with @grp52 and @july1988 . The dealer (if a Lexus one) should be able to program a card to the car's ECU. The card it's just like another FOB but smaller.

Last edited by scubapr; 05-31-24 at 07:02 PM. Reason: add edit note
Old 05-31-24, 08:32 PM
Jersey5974
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Fairly certain this will only work for 2021 and above. 19 and 20 years don't even have key remote start.
Old 06-01-24, 04:28 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Maybe base model ECU has only 2 slots for FOB programming instead of 3 dunno. But technically speaking it should work (it's just another low-frequency transmitter/receiver) basically your current FOB but without buttons; so only smart access and keyless start works (no remote start or open like a normal FOB).

The issue here is probably cost $ and dealer capability because:
  1. I'm 99.9% sure it has to be programmed using TechStream by an authorized dealer or technician.
  2. The Smart Card Key has a physical key inside; so it has to be CUT by an an authorized dealer or locksmith to match your current one.
Old 06-01-24, 05:52 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey5974
Fairly certain this will only work for 2021 and above. 19 and 20 years don't even have key remote start.
My 2020 has remote start
Old 06-01-24, 07:00 AM
garagemonk
Driver

Originally Posted by scubapr
Mine came with the car (Luxury Trim w/ most of the UL options). I received 2 Fobs + Card.
Some people don't like the card; but I do. It's my primary key (in wallet) and the 2 fobs are stored at home since day 1.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure, but I tend to agree with @grp52 and @july1988 . The dealer (if a Lexus one) should be able to program a card to the car's ECU. The card it's just like another FOB but smaller.
How much thicker is the card key than a credit card?
Can you take a photo side by side? or let me know if it can fit in your wallet. I want to know if it's worth the effort. Thank you!
Old 06-01-24, 07:36 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

How much thicker is the card key than a credit card?
Can you take a photo side by side? or let me know if it can fit in your wallet. I want to know if it's worth the effort. Thank you!
It's the same size as a credit card just 1.5-2x thicker depending on the CC. I have mine permanently stored on my wallet like any other CC.
Here's a picture I found on another site/forum (picture not mine). Just Google "lexus smart card credit card" and go to "Images" for more comparisons.

Also found the following excerpts from another site/forum on which they are using these Lexus cards on Toyota Priuses.
So I'm fairly sure "the correct card model" should work on any 7gen trim; it's programming & cutting them to your car that will require dealer intervention and may also charge you for labor.
The process of pairing a NEW (never previously paired) key and a USED key is different. NEW key pairing is much easier, and is possible with either dealer assistance or Techstream software. An OLD key requires dealer assistance, OR Techstream software PLUS seed reset codes. These seed reset codes are attainable through a valid Techstream subscription or various sources online (for additional money). It IS possible to pair a USED key, it just requires additional resources and effort. Note that your dealer may not be willing to help you to pair a used key.
If the mechanical key blade is not cut to match your current; or a used card is bought. Then if your Lexus key card battery dies there is no way to unlock the car. A solution is to store a spare battery (CR2412) in a magnetic hide-a-key.
garagemonk (06-02-24)
Old 08-27-24, 05:58 PM
garagemonk
Driver

I just had a locksmith try with a smart key i ordered on ebay that was suppose to have been "unlocked" my 2021 ES350 wouldn't recognize the key. Maybe it's the locksmith or the key...
Has anyone here been able to get this key to work with a 2021 ES 350?

Quick Reply: Card Key Addition