Need advice: TX or GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-23, 04:53 PM
smithpr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice: TX or GX 460

I need opinions! I presently drive a 2012 GX 460 and looking for a new car. Which should I choose, a 2023 GX 460 or the new TX?? My GX has been a great car and I’m a little nervous of the 4 cylinder TX. What do you think? Need advice asap! Thanks

Last edited by smithpr2; 10-16-23 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 10-16-23, 10:52 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

TX is a brand new model with the latest tech.
GX remodel is also around the corner.
You probably need to prioritize what you are looking for in your new ride and then make the decision.
TX’s will be on the lots in the next coming days so you can do a test drive.

Thank You.
Old 10-19-23, 11:05 AM
ramcanall
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Similar boat

I’ve got a 16 GX luxury and have been shopping for my wife. Put a deposit down on the TX and have seen a few in person.

The TX is aimed at suburban comfort and space. It is not as luxurious or as powerful as a GX from what I’ve seen so far. Spoke with Lexus Corporate engineers and they said to wait for the plug in.

We’ve passed on our allotment for a TX350 luxury to see the TX550h+ and the ‘24 GX luxury at the same time.

if you want a deal, the ‘23 GX is a steal comparatively
The following users liked this post:
smithpr2 (10-19-23)
Old 10-19-23, 01:52 PM
smithpr2
Driver School Candidate

I drove a TX yesterday and was not impressed with the four cylinder turbo. The luxury inside was not impressive. The front end is longer than my GX and seats didn’t come up as high as my GX so had trouble seeing over the hood. I’m 5’1”. I did like the technology. I crossed the TX off my list. Also drove a GX 460 luxury but can’t decide if the plush seats and the couple of other features is worth another 8-9 grand.
Old 10-19-23, 06:57 PM
captainnem
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ramcanall
Spoke with Lexus Corporate engineers and they said to wait for the plug in.
I am disappointed that it has a small gas tank and no V6 turbo for such a large vehicle. I wonder what the price premium will be though for the TX 550? $10k?
ramcanall (10-23-23)
Old 11-13-23, 10:35 AM
peteym80
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I really think it is a matter of use and expected length of ownership:

1. TX is uni-body and GX is body-on-frame. We have a '23 GX because we like the off-road capabilities of the GX. It will become our family camping, overlanding vehicle after my wife drives it for a years. We plan to visit many national parks and take the vehicle on light off road trails. We don't need the passenger capacity of the TX. A uni-body would better suite traditional family needs (ie soccer practice, road trips, high cargo capacity, cheaper to operate, more space).
2. Current GX has the 1UR-FE V8. This is known to go 400K miles or longer. If predicted length of ownership is 12+ years, I would go for the GX. New TX powertrains have a shorter track record of reliabilty and additional complexities that COULD make the vehicle less reliable. It is still made by Toyota so I doubt you will get the European car bugs that you often see in other brands, however the new turbo or hybrid is not going 1M miles like the old V8s.
'24 GX is nice too and new engine has been in Lexus' line up since 2018 with the LS, but I don't think it will hit 300K miles with minor maintenance.
Old 11-13-23, 11:40 AM
smithpr2
Driver School Candidate

Default I decided on . . .

I finally pull the trigger and purchased a 2023 GX 460. I just did not like the TX turbo and the one I drove was not plush at all. I felt the GX 550 was more off road than luxury that I wanted. They really needed to make two very different styles, one for the off road and one for the soccer mom with lots of luxury. I couldn't decide if the Luxury model justified the cost difference but in the end I went with the Luxury. I've had it a couple of weeks and very pleased thus far.
Thanks for all the advice!
Old 11-13-23, 11:07 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

We also went with the GX Luxury. The TX's were really nice in person, but the GX was also nice and offered so much value. Especially with a decent discount off of MSRP, which wasn't going to happen with the TX (at least in So Cal). We also really like the GX so far- except for the mpg, but we obviously knew that going in.

Last edited by nkx1; 11-21-23 at 09:21 PM.
BayeauxLex (11-13-23)
Old 01-03-24, 04:41 PM
Charleshua
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Traded in a 2021 GX to the TX

For our life style (no off-road or camping) a TX is way better than our GX. The 4.6 engine of GX has a long curve of toque I.e in plain English very slow acceleration. In Tennessee we have a lot of hills and on highway 40 going to smoky mountains it is a pain to drive GX climbing uphill. Gas mileage is also pretty bad, out of date techs or no tech should I say. We are very happy with our TX.
Old 01-21-24, 08:08 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Charleshua
For our life style (no off-road or camping) a TX is way better than our GX. The 4.6 engine of GX has a long curve of toque I.e in plain English very slow acceleration. In Tennessee we have a lot of hills and on highway 40 going to smoky mountains it is a pain to drive GX climbing uphill. Gas mileage is also pretty bad, out of date techs or no tech should I say. We are very happy with our TX.
how many miles do you have on your TX now and what are your thoughts? I am taking delivery of mine late next week...
Old 01-21-24, 08:46 PM
Charleshua
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
how many miles do you have on your TX now and what are your thoughts? I am taking delivery of mine late next week...
only around 1000 miles, very happy with it. I am very light on the foot and the acceleration is much better than the GX460. The 3rd row is really spacious. The captain seat in the middle are also nice
Old 01-22-24, 09:26 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Charleshua
only around 1000 miles, very happy with it. I am very light on the foot and the acceleration is much better than the GX460. The 3rd row is really spacious. The captain seat in the middle are also nice
good to hear. I ski so many days a year... I bet I will have one of the highest milage TXs in the country starting soon.
Old 07-19-24, 07:29 AM
wardman1
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
good to hear. I ski so many days a year... I bet I will have one of the highest milage TXs in the country starting soon.
great to hear. Want to move from GX to TX myself. Is TX bigger in reality, or very close in size to GX.
Old 07-19-24, 08:02 AM
sheetmetalfab
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wardman1
great to hear. Want to move from GX to TX myself. Is TX bigger in reality, or very close in size to GX.
the TX has a much larger 3rd row and cargo volume.

GX is higher off the ground.
Adambomb (07-19-24)
Old 07-19-24, 10:56 AM
Adambomb
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If you absolutely NEED a 3rd row consider the TX, otherwise get somethijng else, I NEEDED a 3rd row period, I tried to get a Sienna Plat but they are unicorns that cost almost as much as a TX 350 AWD Luxury which i think is better overall and thats why I went with the TX 350 Luxury AWD, I love it so, all the bells and whistles TSS 3.0 and the 20" wheel smooth ride, WOOHOO, now yes the 4 cylinder turbo is weak but not compared to OTHER 3rd row cars

Quick Reply: Need advice: TX or GX 460