HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Michelin CrossClimate2 on HS250h Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-23, 07:42 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Michelin CrossClimate2 on HS250h Question

The Continental Tyres that our HS250h is wearing are getting really thin. Discount Tyres says that they probably only have about one rotation left on them. Since I have installed the winter set on the HS250h, I am not too worried about their traction through this winter. Though the wear on my winter set means that this might been the last year for them as well. That being said, sometime in the summer, the All Seasons will need replacement. Discount Tire says that they recommend that my replacement set should be the Michelin CrossClimate2. They also mentioned that I can skip putting on the winters once I have the Michelins installed since our winter weather is not poor enough to warrant a dedicated winter tyre over the CrossClimate2. For folks who have mounted the CrossClimate2 on their HS250h, what has your overall opinion been? How was the noise level, has your vehicle taken a fuel economy hit as compared to using a more tradition tyre slanted toward fuel economy like the Continental Pure Contact LS or Yokohama Avid Ascend LX?
The following users liked this post:
dougaliscious (11-16-23)
Old 11-16-23, 04:46 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,020 Posts

This vehicle forum gets little traffic. I assume you have the 18 inch tires.
The Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires are great tires and have received glowing reviews from several tire sites. Here is a link to Tire Rack where you can read purchasers comments and see their test results and ranking of the tires. I agree you won't need winter tires with these on your car. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...odClar=Premium

Here is their test report where it is compared to some other tires https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=306

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-16-23 at 04:50 AM.
850R (11-16-23)
Old 11-16-23, 05:59 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

I can't speak for your partcular model, but I fitted CossClimates onto my RX 450H and am happy with them. My experience is that they're quieter and more comfortable than the Dunlops that were on it when I bought it, and fuel economy is in line with what I expect. In summer the tyres seem to be like any other summer tyre I've had. As for winter, shortly after fitting them I went on a trip to France and Germany, part of which involved driving up and down mountains in snow. The snow wasn't too heavy in the mountains, but pretty deep on the flat, and the tyres performed flawlessly on both, with no loss of grip at any point. The same could be said for the heavy rain I experienced on the motorways.

The only point worth noting is that they're directional tyres, and so you can only rotate them front to back and not diagonally.

All in all I'm pleased with them both for summer and winter use.
850R (11-16-23)
Old 11-16-23, 12:46 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I put the Cross Climate 2's on my HS last year (19") and they work great. Replaced MXM4's, though I've also had DSW06's in the past. I was expecting a drop in handling, but haven't noticed any. very smooth and quiet, and maybe 1 mpg drop, but then my car is getting old enough i can't tell if it's the tires, battery, or engine that's less efficient. Haven't hit any snow yet. IMO they are a great all around premium touring tire.

Last edited by Magellan55; 11-20-23 at 04:12 AM.
850R (11-16-23)
Old 08-06-24, 06:03 PM
Erockzny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need new tires I think I'm going to get this model
Old 08-06-24, 08:46 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Erockzny
I need new tires I think I'm going to get this model
My HS250h was totaled in a collision before I was able to install a set of these onto the vehicle. On the other hand, my other vehicle, a 2022 RAV4 Hybrid had to to have its factory Michelin Primacy A/S replaced due to a road hazard event. The Primacy A/S are an energy tyre, thus terrible in snow but ok in rain. They are a very low rolling resistance tyre. After replacement with a set of Michelin CrossClimate2, I found the traction much better. The rain and snow traction in night and day better than the Primacy. The tyres were noisy at first, but they quieted down after about 5,000 Miles. After 5,000 miles, fuel economy is just as good as the Primacy A/S. I would pick the CrossClimate2 hands down, if you encounter all four seasons. If you don't need snow traction, the Defender 2 is a better option.
Old 08-07-24, 02:52 AM
dougaliscious
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Conversations about tires on this model should indicate whether it's the 17" or 18" wheels. As the tire properties are different between the two different profiles.
Old 08-08-24, 08:15 AM
Erockzny
Rookie

Originally Posted by dougaliscious
Conversations about tires on this model should indicate whether it's the 17" or 18" wheels. As the tire properties are different between the two different profiles.

I have 18 inch wheels and my current car have the primacy tires

I noticed they weren't very good in snow or water

​​​​​​
Old 08-08-24, 08:59 AM
Erockzny
Rookie

Can the cross climate 2 be used on the car? I called BJs because they had the best deal but they said I need w tires for my car.

Something about the speed rating... They said they can't put it on my car because it's not "recommended"
Old 08-08-24, 12:27 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Well if they won't put those tires on your car, then you probably cannot make them as they will claim liability issues if you have a tire failure. However it is nonsense as the HS will never go that fast!

V and W are both tire speed ratings that indicate a tire's maximum speed:
  • V: A tire with a V rating can be driven at speeds up to 149 miles per hour (mph).
  • W: A tire with a W rating can be driven at speeds up to 168 mph.

However, according to this link below, Tire Rack is selling them with a V95 rating.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...erformance=ALL

I have the BF Goodrich f-force Comp 2 tires on the front of my HS and they have been very good over the last 15 months. BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin and the tread pattern is similar. I got them at Costco.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...odClar=Premium

Last edited by Clutchless; 08-08-24 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-09-24, 09:39 AM
dougaliscious
Driver

My car is Japanese and my market is the United Kingdom.
for this car, it's got a sticker in the door sill with the allowed tires. Is this the same on the N American models?
225/45R18 W91
215/55R17 W94 (I'm going from memory here)

I have the 18" wheels. This car came to me with the Goodyear Eagle F1 with the rubber pretty old. I replaced these with Bridgestone Turanza T005 (MO variant) which I am totally happy with. Great handling in water, never slip, quiet and soft and no complaints on the fuel economy. The only thing I can't say is whether handle well at high speed. The fastest I can drive this car is about 130km/h and I think in the USA the common practice is a bit faster. Hot weather will also make a difference.

The general feedback on these tires is that they wear pretty fast - but I don't plan to run out of tread before they expire by age. Otherwise I might pay more for Continentals.

One thing I really like is buying tires in the EU region. They give us easy to use A/B/C ratings for wet performance, dry performance and noise. Every batch of tires is tested and rated independently so you can occasionally get a batch that meets like A/A/B specs and you don't have to compromise.

Last edited by dougaliscious; 08-09-24 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-09-24, 06:12 PM
850R
Pit Crew

This is what the Lexus Dealer told me concerning the HS250h equipped with 18 inch tyres. The HS250h was originally only equipped with 17 inch Wheel/Tyre combos. Thus they wore V rated rubber. When the 18 inch wheel/tyre combo was introduced, there weren't any V rated low rolling resistance tyre models in the 225/45/18 size on the market. Thus, Lexus used the W Speed rated Toyo Proxes A20. Around 2011, Michelin introduced the MXM4 in this size, hence why some later HS250h vehicles were equipped with the MXM4 from the factory. Unfortunately, some tyre dealers don't understand that and think the HS has some sort of exotic suspension, thus needs a W Speed rated tyre. This despite the fact that Lexus Dealers all replaced the worn out OEM W Speed Tyres with the MXM4 models, regularly. Costco on several occasions refused to install a V rated tyre onto our vehicle. This despite the fact that there are no W Speed rated winter tyres in any size. I simply went down the street and had Discount Tyre Install V rated tyres without hassle.
Old 08-15-24, 06:13 PM
Erockzny
Rookie

Originally Posted by 850R
This is what the Lexus Dealer told me concerning the HS250h equipped with 18 inch tyres. The HS250h was originally only equipped with 17 inch Wheel/Tyre combos. Thus they wore V rated rubber. When the 18 inch wheel/tyre combo was introduced, there weren't any V rated low rolling resistance tyre models in the 225/45/18 size on the market. Thus, Lexus used the W Speed rated Toyo Proxes A20. Around 2011, Michelin introduced the MXM4 in this size, hence why some later HS250h vehicles were equipped with the MXM4 from the factory. Unfortunately, some tyre dealers don't understand that and think the HS has some sort of exotic suspension, thus needs a W Speed rated tyre. This despite the fact that Lexus Dealers all replaced the worn out OEM W Speed Tyres with the MXM4 models, regularly. Costco on several occasions refused to install a V rated tyre onto our vehicle. This despite the fact that there are no W Speed rated winter tyres in any size. I simply went down the street and had Discount Tyre Install V rated tyres without hassle.

I have the MXM4, they were ok but NOT good in snow and rain, but they were good for gas miles. Was the MXM4 an all season tire? Will other tire give me the same gas miles?
Old 08-16-24, 01:12 AM
dougaliscious
Driver

I can only speak for my own tires... I recently completed a 1000 km road trip and the car averaged 17.1 km/L which is 40.2 mpg.

The tires were properly inflated and I also recently changed 0W20 engine oil, new air filter and gearbox oil and throttle body cleaning (part of my 30k mile service).

My tires (as stated above) are the Bridgestone Turanza T005 225/45R18 W91. The fuel I used was E10 (95 Octane) and this was at/near sea level, and we ran the AC the whole time.

This was better economy than I thought this car could do.

Last edited by dougaliscious; 08-16-24 at 01:15 AM. Reason: added economical oil weight
Old 08-16-24, 01:22 AM
850R
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Erockzny
I have the MXM4, they were ok but NOT good in snow and rain, but they were good for gas miles. Was the MXM4 an all season tire? Will other tire give me the same gas miles?
Yes, they were/are an all season tyre tuned for low rolling resistance and smooth/quiet ride. Hence their mediocre extreme weather performance and short tread life. On my RAV4, the CrossClimate2 tyres have had great inclement weather performance while still providing me with 40 MPG Fuel Economy.