GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 gs300 rear break stuck caliper / replacing break

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-24, 04:00 PM
vanson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 gs300 rear break stuck caliper / replacing break

Hello fellow GS300'ers.

I read many old threads about a TSB (?) about stuck rear calipers, but my car has been out of waranty so long i doubt the dealer will do anything. I needed to replace my. worn out rear break pads and the driver side went without a hitch. However, on the rear passenger side, the caliper is stuck and won't allow me to move it over for the new pads (the bottom pin). I tried to google and also read the threads here but didn't see (yet) a solution. Mine is not stuck completely. At least i'm able to open it down to remove the pads but cannot move it horizontally.

It's driving me a little nuts not being to get the last pad in. The first picture hows of the old break pads. The 2nd picture shows the picture of a new pad and and old pad. I just need to be able to move it over (toward the outside) a little bit. Will a WD40 or some lube helps?

showing the extra room inside

left side showing new pad / right side (green pad) is the old pad

Appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old 08-25-24, 03:49 PM
Willturbo85
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this?

Many thanks

Originally Posted by vanson
Hello fellow GS300'ers.

I read many old threads about a TSB (?) about stuck rear calipers, but my car has been out of waranty so long i doubt the dealer will do anything. I needed to replace my. worn out rear break pads and the driver side went without a hitch. However, on the rear passenger side, the caliper is stuck and won't allow me to move it over for the new pads (the bottom pin). I tried to google and also read the threads here but didn't see (yet) a solution. Mine is not stuck completely. At least i'm able to open it down to remove the pads but cannot move it horizontally.

It's driving me a little nuts not being to get the last pad in. The first picture hows of the old break pads. The 2nd picture shows the picture of a new pad and and old pad. I just need to be able to move it over (toward the outside) a little bit. Will a WD40 or some lube helps?

showing the extra room inside

left side showing new pad / right side (green pad) is the old pad

Appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old 08-25-24, 06:01 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 455 Likes on 395 Posts

The lower pin on these calipers is “captured” and can never be removed for cleaning and greasing. On our car, both stuck eventually. Since they are non-repairable because of the foolish design, the solution is new calipers. The one redeeming thing is that there are inexpensive aftermarket calipers available.
Old 08-25-24, 09:26 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 211 Posts

You need to get a couple decent sized prybars so jam one into each side and force both sides apart until they both collapse like they are suppose to. Once you force them apart, you'll be able to drop the new pads in. If this doesn't work, you can unbolt the caliper, which will give you better access to the slide pins, youll need to remove them, clean rust or corrosion completely off the pin and where it rides in the caliper them grease them up with a generous amount of brake grease that is specifically for this purpose. You should grease the pins on the other side also. It'll keep the caliper from getting stucl, anf causing u problems in the near future.
Old 08-26-24, 05:32 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

Ive done this several times and always worked for me. Remove the caliper bracket/calipers from undoing the 2 big bolts, remove the brake hose from the car. You will want a propane torch, you will want to heat the caliper side and not the pin side. See where it says advics that knub put the flame on that area. You want to prop the torch on stands so you can let it heat that area for atleast 3-5min. After you heat it, right away grab gloves flip the caliper on its side (I think I used a wood block to even the caliper) you want to hammer the pin further inside the caliper. Give it good hard hits, if the pin doesnt budge, spray wd40 and reheat it again. once pin is knock loose then you should be able to wiggle the bracket/pin from the caliper. This method always worked for me

Once you remove the pin, it would more likely be corroded so use sand paper or steel wool. Sand the pin and inside the caliper bore with 200 grit, then 400 grit. Next grease both the pin and bore.
The following users liked this post:
dwoods801 (08-26-24)