RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Gen 5 RX 350 Cargo Capacity, Headroom and Legroom?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-24, 10:04 AM
Markfm
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Gen 5 RX 350 Cargo Capacity, Headroom and Legroom?

I like how the Gen 5 shows a bump in Cargo capacity seats-up compared to Gen 4, but am curious about:
1. Did it actually lose 10 cubic feet with 2nd row down? (Looking for other users who had the prior Gen 4 - noticeable change?)
2. Front legroom shows a full 3" decrease, with a smaller reduction in the rear
3. Noticeable spec reductions in front head room and second row shoulder room

Did they really stretch the engine compartment compared to Gen 4, which cut into the front leg room and led to the cut in cargo (along with a lesser, though notable, decrease in rear leg room), or was it something else that led to the reduction?

(I'm trying to figure out what they did going to Gen 5 that makes the interior space less than those of an Acura RDX. The '24 RDX, with smaller exterior dimensions, seems to have better numbers for most interior specs now.)

Last edited by Markfm; 02-28-24 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-28-24, 11:38 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 636 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Markfm
Did they really stretch the engine compartment compared to Gen 4, which cut into the front leg room and led to the cut in cargo (along with a lesser, though notable, decrease in rear leg room), or was it something else that led to the reduction?
You can see the extra wheelbase length by just looking at the base of the A pillars on the Gen 4 versus the Gen 5. Gen 4's was a complete mess and even had to put a little fake window looking trim piece there.. The Gen 5 is extremely clean looking because they pushed it back with the extra wheelbase.
The following 2 users liked this post by Urlik:
ColoradoDavid (Yesterday), Markfm (02-28-24)
Old 02-28-24, 11:45 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Markfm
I like how the Gen 5 shows a bump in Cargo capacity seats-up compared to Gen 4, but am curious about:
1. Did it actually lose 10 cubic feet with 2nd row down? (Looking for other users who had the prior Gen 4 - noticeable change?)
2. Front legroom shows a full 3" decrease, with a smaller reduction in the rear
3. Noticeable spec reductions in front head room and second row shoulder room

(I'm trying to figure out what they did going to Gen 5 that makes the interior space less than those of an Acura RDX. The '24 RDX, with smaller exterior dimensions, seems to have better numbers for most interior specs now.)
I don't put too much faith in those interior measurements. Too much room for manipulation since the actual space isn't a cube.

Having test-driven both the RDX and owning an RX, I think the RX is actually noticeably bigger.

Go check out both, in person.
The following 3 users liked this post by CommodoreAmiga:
Freds430 (02-29-24), Markfm (02-28-24), SonOfABisc (Today)
Old 02-28-24, 12:17 PM
Markfm
Driver

I'll break out a tape measure on my Gen 4 (happy with it other than the anemic seats-up cargo - I had to cut down a dog barrier to get it to fit), and pay more attention, do some measurements, next time I get service at my Lexus dealer (I always get a current RX loaner from them, after buying 5 from the same dealer they know what I like).

I will probably take an RDX out for a spin, if my own check shows a real loss in seats-down cargo (and when I check the rear seat out for comfort).

Last edited by Markfm; 02-28-24 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-28-24, 01:34 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

We have both a Gen 4 and a Gen 5. The rear seats in the 5 don't fold as flat. I would have to take car seats out of the 4 to give an exact amount.

I am 6" 0" and not the trimmest guy in the world and I am comfortable in both. Just did a round trip from PA to FL in the Gen 5 and loved it.

Lexus has always been a little tight on their measuremnts. I am pretty sure that they use to state the entire cargo volume behind the rear seat but somewhere around 2013 they changed to reporting the volume up to the level of the top of the rear seat. There was a huge change in those specs between my 2010 RX and my 2013 RX. It made the RX numbers look small when comparing to others.
The following users liked this post:
Markfm (02-28-24)
Old 02-28-24, 01:47 PM
Markfm
Driver

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
We have both a Gen 4 and a Gen 5. The rear seats in the 5 don't fold as flat. I would have to take car seats out of the 4 to give an exact amount.

I am 6" 0" and not the trimmest guy in the world and I am comfortable in both. Just did a round trip from PA to FL in the Gen 5 and loved it.

Lexus has always been a little tight on their measuremnts. I am pretty sure that they use to state the entire cargo volume behind the rear seat but somewhere around 2013 they changed to reporting the volume up to the level of the top of the rear seat. There was a huge change in those specs between my 2010 RX and my 2013 RX. It made the RX numbers look small when comparing to others.
Thanks for the info!

I'm 5'11", had noticed the front seat headroom decrease compared to my Gen 4, though wasn't paying attention to it (it wasn't enough to be an issue for me, but enough to notice that it is shorter). I will still check the back seats, if I can sit moderately comfortably I expect they'll work for most others.

Driving PA/FL and back is an excellent data point - I wasn't sure if the nominal loss in front legroom would make much difference on a longer-duration drive.

Good insight on the cargo capacity, seats down - pretty sure my Gen 4 2nd row does lie pretty flat, I hadn't gotten to trying the Gen 5 seats down before. I know that on the Gen 4 I can actually carry 8' boards comfortably, running down the center. (I'm too old/lazy to put things on the roof rails unless absolutely necessary)
Bentru (02-28-24)
Old 02-29-24, 02:07 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,140 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
I don't put too much faith in those interior measurements. Too much room for manipulation since the actual space isn't a cube.

Having test-driven both the RDX and owning an RX, I think the RX is actually noticeably bigger.

Go check out both, in person.
Driven both an RX is substantially larger. I am 6:4 with long legs and the RX has plenty of leg and head room. At least four inches of head room.
CCGS (03-02-24)
Old 02-29-24, 02:59 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 583 Likes on 410 Posts

Having both Gen 4 and 5 I can say that Gen 5 seems bigger inside from the drivers seat. Headroom might be a bit less due to lower roofline.
Trunk is about the same. Rear seats are WAY more comfortable. I have been in both cars rear seats for few hour drives.

I would not put too much value in numbers only. You have to check the cars yourself.
Markfm (02-29-24)
Old 02-29-24, 03:41 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

I can only speak to rear cargo with 2nd row up and front seats compared to 2013 RX. We haven't noticed a change in driver/front passenger room. I'm 6' and heavy set.

Cargo capacity is about the same, though in a slightly different configuration. We take long road-trips with the rear cargo area filled up to the privacy cover, and we didn't have to reduce what we carry, but it's loaded a bit differently to fit.

I can see the capacity being reduced with the 2nd row down, since it no longer folds flat, but 10 cu-ft seems a bit much.

Rear seat comfort for a tall person seems a bit better now, but we've not had more than one person in the back of the 2024 RX.
Markfm (02-29-24)
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cargo - floor to cargo cover

I'm looking to upgrade from my 2018 Honda Accord Sport to a luxury crossover or SUV that matches or exceeds its cargo capacity of 16.7 cubic feet, whereby I can fit 2 golf bags as well as a push cart with ease. The Lexus RX350's cargo space is actually less at 16.0 cubic feet from floor to cargo cover? With retracted cargo cover, there is more height, but not too usable when it comes to golf it seems (without dropping second row seats)

Pics of more than 2 golf bags appreciated.
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't keep the cargo carrier in my 350h. I just had 3 bags in my vehicle yesterday and had no trouble seeing out of the back. I do take the driver out of the bag that sits immediately behing the rear seats. I have never tried four bags, but I don't think that would be a problem.
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I don't keep the cargo carrier in my 350h. I just had 3 bags in my vehicle yesterday and had no trouble seeing out of the back. I do take the driver out of the bag that sits immediately behing the rear seats. I have never tried four bags, but I don't think that would be a problem.
annoying to have to take drivers out the bag
Old Today, 10:05 AM
Markfm
Driver

Originally Posted by airahcaz
I'm looking to upgrade from my 2018 Honda Accord Sport to a luxury crossover or SUV that matches or exceeds its cargo capacity of 16.7 cubic feet, whereby I can fit 2 golf bags as well as a push cart with ease. The Lexus RX350's cargo space is actually less at 16.0 cubic feet from floor to cargo cover? With retracted cargo cover, there is more height, but not too usable when it comes to golf it seems (without dropping second row seats)....
Here's a little chart I've been putting together, IIHS, specs (Cargo doesn't include use of a cargo cover), C&D measured 0-60.

The Nautilus cargo bed, seats up, is visually pretty wide and deep. Pretty sure I have the tape measure check I did in one of my notepads.

Last edited by Markfm; Today at 10:10 AM.