2021 GX 460 Gotchas

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-24, 12:02 PM
ejbeaty
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 GX 460 Gotchas

Hi guys,

New to the Lexus brand (and Toyota) but currently looking for a quiet, comfortable, cross country road tripping vehicle that can fit our three large dogs and cargo. I think if fold down the 2nd row seats, a gx460 of this generation will fit the bill. There's a nice 2021 here locally. I'm also considering Escalades/Navigators/Yukon Denalis and am open to other suggestions. Price range is under $40k.

Is there anything I need to be aware of with this year/model? Common expensive failures? Must-have options? Etc? I'm obviously drawn to Lexus for the reliability but don't actually know anything about this specific model.

Thanks!
P.S - I have zero interest in the off roading/overlanding capabilities of these. I have a Rubicon I already like to beat the **** out of, so this is strictly for highway cruising.
Old 03-05-24, 02:13 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

The Lexus GX is quite possibly the most reliable vehicle in North America. Having said this you still need to do your due diligence and verify service history and absolutely get a pre purchase inspection to verify current mechanical condition. To put this all in to perspective my 2010 Lexus GX460 with nearing 183k miles still rides and drives like a brand new vehicle. I've hauled my greyhound in the back of mine and with the 2nd row up. So with the 2nd row down I could get a total of four greyhound sized dogs back there. Should be more than enough for three large dogs and a couple medium sized suitcases.

I know you don't care about off-roading, however consider that you are well prepared should the situation arise you have that capability.

Check out the Lexus Drivers site and add the VIN of any you're looking at to get a detailed history of any visit to a Toyota or Lexus dealer.

https://www.lexus.com/My-Lexus

P.S. Those GM products have woefully low quality interior pieces and transmission issues. The blend door actuators for the HVAC on those are a dash out job and could occur with as little as 35k miles. Great engine and comfy seats they have, build quality they do not. Also check out either the Toyota Grand Highlander or it's Lexus equivalent TX (if they're out yet). They are very roomy and have the Toyota build quality to stand behind.

Last edited by MrTorgue; 03-05-24 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-05-24, 02:35 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 260 Likes on 145 Posts

We have a '21 and love it (could have got a '22 but our local dealer had almost 10% off MSRP. from '21, so went that way)
But as MrTorque said, the GX is most likely the most reliable SUV in US or maybe even the world, but it still requires maintenance.
Service records will be the most important info to see how it was maintained or not.

Do not worry about the lack of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto there are options available to retro fit it, we use Beat Sonic unit and that with latest SW updates perform flawlessly.

As for road trip, it is really comfortable, (I'm 6'2" and 200lbs), here in S FL when following traffic you will be 85-90mph and its smooth sailing for the GX, engine is at 2250rpm @90mph
We are planning an close to 9k miles roadtrip this summer, will share detail later when finalized.

Old 03-05-24, 03:21 PM
Climber1
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just recently traded my 2023 in and replaced with a Tundra. I'm a die-hard Toyota fan and the GX was awesome and fun to drive. The V8 purrs and the ride on the highway was great and the size was about perfect in my opinion. My only gripe with it was the premium fuel requirement and terrible MPG. I drove it for a year and the premium fuel issue just kept bothering me and I could never get over it. In my area, we do not have 91 octane and 93 is the only premium available and it is pricey. I drive a lot of miles and having a gas guzzler that required premium started to wear me out. If that is not important to you, I would absolutely recommend the 460. Super reliable, smooth and you get a really nice vehicle for a decent price.

My '23 Tundra is nice too and I'm averaging 19.5mpg with 87 octane so its not too bad and it is crazy powerful. Although, this thing is a beast and not so easy to maneuver in town.
Old 03-05-24, 08:37 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Alternative opinion: I think the GX is an absolutely outstanding in-town rig, but a sub-optimal high speed highway cruiser. We’ve got plenty of highway miles out here in the west that are posted at 80-85mph. When the highway points upward at those speeds (which happens a lot), I find that our GX’s struggle to keep pace without manually downshifting to keep the power up. It’s enough of a chore that I’ve never liked taking them out of town.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 03-05-24 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-05-24, 11:53 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Alternative opinion: I think the GX is an absolutely outstanding in-town rig, but a sub-optimal high speed highway cruiser. We’ve got plenty of highway miles out here in the west that are posted at 80-85mph. When the highway points upward at those speeds (which happens a lot), I find that our GX’s struggle to keep pace without manually downshifting to keep the power up. It’s enough of a chore that I’ve never liked taking them out of town.
A YotaWerx tune fixes this by the way. I've made 2,000 mile trips without stopping twice. Gas mileage aside the tune 100% solves the gear hunting issue. I live in north Idaho and daily drive 5-7% grades and I have zero problems maintaining speed. I know most people won't consider it but a tune is absolutely worth it if you drive a lot of highway miles.
Old 03-06-24, 05:41 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Climber1
My only gripe with it was the premium fuel requirement and terrible MPG. I drove it for a year and the premium fuel issue just kept bothering me and I could never get over it. In my area, we do not have 91 octane and 93 is the only premium available and it is pricey. I drive a lot of miles and having a gas guzzler that required premium started to wear me out. If that is not important to you
Lots of people running GX470's and GX460s on 87 octane. Computers are perfectly capable of utilizing various octane levels.
Old 03-06-24, 09:07 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
A YotaWerx tune fixes this by the way. I've made 2,000 mile trips without stopping twice. Gas mileage aside the tune 100% solves the gear hunting issue. I live in north Idaho and daily drive 5-7% grades and I have zero problems maintaining speed. I know most people won't consider it but a tune is absolutely worth it if you drive a lot of highway miles.
Where can one get the YotaWerx Tune? Does the Lexus Service Department do this particular tune?
Old 03-06-24, 11:28 AM
skeener
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Potential issues:
1) KDSS lean
2) Coolant leaks (water pump, engine valley plate)
3) Oil leak (timing cover/head/block interface)
4) The third row seat isn't very good as a seat and takes up cargo space (tall dogs will have access to headliner)
5) Some don't appreciate the side swing cargo door
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Rad (03-06-24)
Old 03-06-24, 01:33 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by glamglam
Where can one get the YotaWerx Tune? Does the Lexus Service Department do this particular tune?
This is an aftermarket tune and I do not think Lexus service is going to support this modification. You'll need to locate a tuner in your area who is has access to the YotaWerx tuning for Toyotas. I got mine done down in Texas and I live in north Idaho so I have no idea who does this on the east coast.
Old 03-06-24, 04:59 PM
NSpooner
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skeener
Potential issues:
1) KDSS lean
2) Coolant leaks (water pump, engine valley plate)
3) Oil leak (timing cover/head/block interface)
4) The third row seat isn't very good as a seat and takes up cargo space (tall dogs will have access to headliner)
5) Some don't appreciate the side swing cargo door
I've only had mine a few weeks but I wasn't sure about the cargo door but LOVE it now that I have the truck. It's so much faster to put stuff back there than to wait 10 seconds for the hatch to go up on most SUV's. It's to where I am just annoyed when I open the hatch on my UX now haha.

Compared to the American stuff there won't be as much tech, but the vehicle is VASTLY better built. My dad has like a 2015 Escalade and the thing feels so horrible to drive and just wallows all over the road. It is embarrassing that they cost almost 100k these days with how bad they handle. The exhaust sounds awesome though haha.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Rad (03-06-24)
Old 03-07-24, 03:15 AM
Carlinklife
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tntcandy
We have a '21 and love it (could have got a '22 but our local dealer had almost 10% off MSRP. from '21, so went that way)
But as MrTorque said, the GX is most likely the most reliable SUV in US or maybe even the world, but it still requires maintenance.
Service records will be the most important info to see how it was maintained or not.

Do not worry about the lack of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto there are options available to retro fit it, we use Beat Sonic unit and that with latest SW updates perform flawlessly.

As for road trip, it is really comfortable, (I'm 6'2" and 200lbs), here in S FL when following traffic you will be 85-90mph and its smooth sailing for the GX, engine is at 2250rpm @90mph
We are planning an close to 9k miles roadtrip this summer, will share detail later when finalized.
Carlinklife CarPlay Module For 2013-2021 Lexus GX460
Upgrade wireless carplay for only $439
– Wired/Wireless Apple CarPlay
– Wired/Wireless Android Auto
– Wired/Wireless airplay
https://carlinklife.com/products/wir...n-with-android
Old 03-07-24, 03:19 AM
Carlinklife
Former Sponsor

Here is the installation video:

Last edited by Carlinklife; 03-07-24 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-08-24, 02:20 PM
gx460z2011
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

By 2021 there is not much of anything to worry about. Note 2022-2023 have a significant overhaul of the interior. 2014-2019 and 2020-2021 are the same. So you may be able to find a 2020 for lower cost, for example.

Having worked on many cars I will say the GX is leagues ahead of anything else. Definitely ahead of any Chevrolet, etc. If you live anywhere with cold weather they really hold up well to road salt. Fasteners on domestics will definitely fail and these come apart easily.

The GX and a Yukon may be similar up to say 75k miles, or maybe the domestics even have some better/newer features, but the reliability of the Japan designed and built GX is second to none.
Yes the F-150 added CarPlay in 2016 and the GX didn't add it until 2022.
The auto climate control in my F-150 drives me crazy and I never use it. I haven't turned off auto yet in the GX (only had it during winter so far), it just works.
The belt driven fan drives me crazy. Every Toyota screams to life at cold start. Why does the fan need to be turning at all? Love that my F-150, Subaru, etc, have no fan noise at start up.

I never thought I would own one but I am beyond impressed at the quality and how well it drives. The KDSS seems to really work, so little body roll. I'd strongly consider buying another newer year.

I'm a die hard Honda fan but the GX... wow. Every interior plastic piece comes apart without breaking, the edges have felt on them to prevent rattles, and back side of most have sound deadening material.

My GX at 250k miles with new OEM struts and sway bar bushings drives better than almost any domestic. I also find it hard to believe.

The in town fuel economy is atrocious though. But, how much does that really cost at the end of the day? And, I like having real piston rings that are not low tension. No oil consumption issues to worry about.

Last edited by gx460z2011; 03-08-24 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-09-24, 08:35 AM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

somewhere theres a whole GB of text thread on the fuel. the requirement is that they put premium on the documents and labels because thats what was used to meet epa certifications.
the great thing about the gx is that the drivetrain is demonstrated as reliable in other applications, then they detuned it for a longer design life.

mine is a 2012 with 200,000 miles, ive only had to do 3 non scheduled type maintenance fixes not due to accidents: throttle body (traces wore through). height sensor near exhaust (traces corroded). squirt wd40 on transmission switch nut (switch wasnt properly detecting drive).
Maybe count a 4th for the airbag cylinder swap but i didnt do that one myself.

Quick Reply: 2021 GX 460 Gotchas