Brake torque spec please?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 09:26 AM
mikekwok
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake torque spec please?

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forum for quite sometime, finally here is my first post.

I am about to do brake job on my NX 450h+

Could someone please advise the bolt torque spec of front/rear brake caliper/ sliding pin and rotor bolt please?

Thank you very much.
Old 04-08-24, 04:24 PM
oreon333
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Are you planning to change the brakes yourself? I hope you know what you are doing, because you will need a OBDII device that can disable some stuff in order to work on brakes. Anyway, here is what I found for ya -> https://autospecz.com/lexus/cars/202...pecs_brake.php
The following users liked this post:
mikekwok (04-08-24)
Old 04-08-24, 07:21 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 528 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by oreon333
Are you planning to change the brakes yourself? I hope you know what you are doing, because you will need a OBDII device that can disable some stuff in order to work on brakes. Anyway, here is what I found for ya -> https://autospecz.com/lexus/cars/202...pecs_brake.php
For most hybrids, you just have to make sure not to trigger the brake pump system, which can activate without putting your foot on the brake. Not 100% sure on the NX450h+ but on other Toyota Hybrids you just had to make sure not to take certain seemingly unrelated actions while the job is in progress. I had done the brakes on my RX450h and if I recall its something like don't open the driver's door with the keys on you, or something like that, which kind of initiates a brake system readiness action. On the NX, the electronic parking brake can be retracted into service mode by doing a long sequence of button presses involving mostly the parking brake button, but I don't remember the exact sequence. Commanding the systems from the ODBII port is probably the best way, but I suspect that even at the dealer some might take the shortcut approach to get it done fast, time is money. If I recall I think the tricky part is if you are replacing the brake fluid completely, as then you need proper control of the brake system electronics.
mikekwok (04-08-24)
Old 04-09-24, 11:35 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

My 2015 300h never needed brakes the entire time I owned it. I just recently traded it in on the 24 450h+ it had over 125K miles on it. You just never hardly ever need brakes on a Toyota/Lexus Hybrid as they have regenerative braking and the friction brakes are only used between 7-0 mph.
Old 04-09-24, 11:57 AM
mangust
Driver

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma742
My 2015 300h never needed brakes the entire time I owned it. I just recently traded it in on the 24 450h+ it had over 125K miles on it. You just never hardly ever need brakes on a Toyota/Lexus Hybrid as they have regenerative braking and the friction brakes are only used between 7-0 mph.
I concur. 450H+ is my first hybrid, and I absolutely love the cleanliness of the wheels without all the brake dust.
My first inclination was to ask why OP needs to do the brakes, but I understand it's none of my businesses.
I suspect it's for a custom brake job, but would be nice to hear the actual reason.

Old 04-09-24, 01:02 PM
Droid13
Racer

the friction brakes are only used between 7-0 mph.
Provided you are braking gradually. Brake hard and the brake pads will engage regardless of speed.
Old 04-10-24, 06:29 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
Provided you are braking gradually. Brake hard and the brake pads will engage regardless of speed.
True.. That would be me, I am a hypermiler trying to maximize my battery range and mpg. But many over at Prius Chat claim to have over 175K miles on the original brake pads.
Old 04-10-24, 07:20 AM
Droid13
Racer

True.. That would be me, I am a hypermiler trying to maximize my battery range and mpg. But many over at Prius Chat claim to have over 175K miles on the original brake pads.
Been there, done that. Just remember not to neglect caliper inspection/service. Both my hybrids needed regular maintenance on the calipers to keep them in top working order, especially with age. Its easy to get used to the regen always being there for easy driving, but due to lack of use if ignored the calipers get cranky and your full brakes might not be there when you need them. My Camry Hybrid never needed brakes, but the rear calipers did seize. My RX hybrid needed a couple set of brakes over 265,000 km but the calipers in it too did require extra TLC in between to keep them free and functional.
Old 04-10-24, 07:38 PM
dc88
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mikekwok
Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forum for quite sometime, finally here is my first post.

I am about to do brake job on my NX 450h+

Could someone please advise the bolt torque spec of front/rear brake caliper/ sliding pin and rotor bolt please?

Thank you very much.

Hi mikekwok,
Please take photos and post about the process, so we can see what's involved. I'll be interested in tackling this if it's not too complicated. Thanks!

Old 06-19-24, 07:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,613 Posts

if you should ever need a replacement, the answer is used.
Old 06-25-24, 09:05 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mangust
My first inclination was to ask why OP needs to do the brakes, but I understand it's none of my businesses.
I suspect it's for a custom brake job, but would be nice to hear the actual reason.
Same. Not being judgmental … but interested/curious. DIY can be a serious liability in an accident regardless of who is at fault. The insurance investigators look for everything.. and who services the vehicle.
I got totalled from a red light runner a few years ago. Hitter was at fault thanks to my dash cam. A passenger in the hitters car filed a suit. Her attorney wanted to know everything about the mechanical condition/service records of my car. They tried every angle to find fault on my end.

Last edited by Sounds; 06-26-24 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-26-24, 03:47 PM
TheCDN
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

These cars have electronic parking brakes and a special procedure needs to be done I believe in order to do a brake rotor / pads replacement. Do your homework first.

To be honest, I've been driving for over 40 years and use to do my brake jobs myself in the driveway. Not anymore, too much hassle for me, too dirty, have to deal with getting rid of old parts, things stick and seize, fingers smashed, back sore ... I can go on. I may come across as a PITA to the mechanic I entrust to do my brakes when I get them done, but a good and thorough brake job should leave you in a position with a good 40k plus miles of decent brakes. I have a hybrid approaching 40,000 kms and it's going to get a service 3 this week and have the brakes removed and inspected. I'm curious to see the comments on their condition, I'm a hard braker and know I'm not gentle on them, so it will be interesting to find out the condition of them.

Here you go! Here's how to prepare your rear parking brake into service mode in order to service your rear brakes.

Last edited by TheCDN; 06-26-24 at 03:54 PM.
marcel488 (06-27-24)
Old 06-26-24, 05:07 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

brake job on a new/mewer hybrid? a normally driven hybrid [any make] should not need a brake job other than periodic fluid exchange. I am expecting I will never need any brake pads/parts replacement for next 150k miles when I will replace with a new vehicle.
Old 06-26-24, 05:13 PM
TheCDN
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

I know that may be a little optimistic sightdev, but I'm sure it's possible. I myself can see very easily thru my alloys that my rotors and obviously the pads too, are being used on my '22 NX350h and so at some point they will need replacement. Plus as Droid13 states in post #8 from his experiences the calipers should be serviced with some regularity in order to keep your brakes working at top form.
Old 06-27-24, 06:25 AM
marcel488
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default We fo

Originally Posted by sightdev
brake job on a new/mewer hybrid? a normally driven hybrid [any make] should not need a brake job other than periodic fluid exchange. I am expecting I will never need any brake pads/parts replacement for next 150k miles when I will replace with a new vehicle.

Here in Atlantic Canada they need to be done every year or two. They rust then seize. I do them myself every spring. The salt and humidity wreaks havoc on them. I realize my experience is different than the warmer climates.

I just had my first winter with a hybrid, and found it very difficult to prevent rust on the rotors. I got in the habit of doing a very hard brake at the bottom of our hill to clean them up.