GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 GS460 - Unsure part numbers for AVS Suspension Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 06:07 PM
scags460
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 GS460 - Unsure part numbers for AVS Suspension Repair

Hi everyone,

I am reaching out as my front shocks are leaking after 158k and plan to replace them with the OEM AVS-ready parts. I was looking online but was confused at the multitude of things I found in addition to the numerous options shown on mylparts.com. When calling 2 separate dealerships, I provided my VIN number and they provided me the following part numbers:

Frt R: 48510-80435
Frt L: 48520-80182
Rears: 48530-80234

I have scoured the forums but only found specific part numbers for the 06 430s so wanted to reach out and see if anyone knew them off the top. My concern is when looking up these parts in mylparts.com, they have 'without active stabilizer' in all of their respective descriptions (linked here) and when I mentioned this to the parts rep, they said that my VIN did not list any alternative parts so I am unsure how to proceed. I have come to terms that it will be a costly repair but want to ensure that whatever parts I purchase are good to go and do not throw any errors down the line and did enjoy AVS when I had it working back then. Any insight is greatly appreciated

Additionally, if anyone knows what else I need (I vaguely know I need strut mounts but in conjunction with my other question, unsure the part(s) and their assoc. numbers) to complete the job, that would be much appreciated as buying dealer direct is $400+!? Thank you everyone for help and assistance in advance!

(Also on an unrelated note, if anyone knows the best process to replace the undercarriage cover - all my pins slots have sheared off in regards to the panel under the engine leading to not even being able to ziptie anything on when an adjacent part fell down, would be amazing)
Old 04-26-24, 08:27 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

you can type in your VIN on t o y o diy.com(without the spaces) and see a list of all the original part numbers for your car.
Old 04-27-24, 12:31 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

I just looked on rockauto, they do sell kyb struts and show your part number that you listed as a replacement part. KYB is the oe supplier to toyota/lexus basically your getting oem strut for a fraction of the price. Factory struts are labelled kyb, years ago I called kyb and asked the tech, he confirmed there the exact parts just different colors on the outside.

I would replace all 4 struts one time, that way it would be less costly in the end. I would also purchased the top bushings mounts for the front struts, they come with boots and rubbers.
Old 04-27-24, 11:02 AM
scags460
10th Gear

Default Checked Parts online

Hey yall, thanks for the reply! I checked the aforementioned website and for my VIN there are still showing two options, one for AVS one for without.

Unsure which to order as the dealer is saying the ‘non AVS’ variant is the only one showing for my VIN but I know for a fact my car has adaptive suspension but will not be getting it installed from the dealer so any issues after will fall on me hence me wanting to double check.

I know KYB has the non AVS parts but due to the small qty for the 460s, its my understanding that they are an OEM only part. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-27-24, 01:35 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scags460
Hey yall, thanks for the reply! I checked the aforementioned website and for my VIN there are still showing two options, one for AVS one for without.

Unsure which to order as the dealer is saying the ‘non AVS’ variant is the only one showing for my VIN but I know for a fact my car has adaptive suspension but will not be getting it installed from the dealer so any issues after will fall on me hence me wanting to double check.

I know KYB has the non AVS parts but due to the small qty for the 460s, its my understanding that they are an OEM only part. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Years ago, 460 guys had to look up and buy 350 struts. Now rockauto shows a listing for your 460. To know if you have avs or not pop the hood and look at the top nut on the front struts. If you have avs then there will be a motor attached to the top strut nut. Again kyb is the oe supplier, your original struts have kyb stickers on them. I confirmed this by calling the kyb tech valving is the same. You will be spending double or triple the cost on the same exact product.
Old 04-27-24, 02:09 PM
scags460
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Years ago, 460 guys had to look up and buy 350 struts. Now rockauto shows a listing for your 460. To know if you have avs or not pop the hood and look at the top nut on the front struts. If you have avs then there will be a motor attached to the top strut nut. Again kyb is the oe supplier, your original struts have kyb stickers on them. I confirmed this by calling the kyb tech valving is the same. You will be spending double or triple the cost on the same exact product.

I looked on RockAuto and the fronts only show non AVS parts. Am I looking in the right spot? For looking under the hood, would you have a rough approximation where to look? Appreciate the help
Old 04-27-24, 02:38 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

This is what the avs actuators look like (video below). Pop open the hood, remove one of the side motor trim pieces they pop up or sometimes have plastic clips on it. Also if you have avs you should have an avs button if not mistaken I think it should be on the drop menu on the dash.

I wouldnt be concerned with with buying these struts. What many guys who had the avs, they would simply not install the actuators. Non-avs struts will mount on a avs equipped vehicle, you just wont be able to adjust the suspension dampning.

Make sure you buy left and right, I would also purchase the rubber mount kit for the front. The rear is not needed as the kyb already comes with top bushings.

Old 04-27-24, 04:27 PM
scags460
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ibidu1
This is what the avs actuators look like (video below). Pop open the hood, remove one of the side motor trim pieces they pop up or sometimes have plastic clips on it. Also if you have avs you should have an avs button if not mistaken I think it should be on the drop menu on the dash.

I wouldnt be concerned with with buying these struts. What many guys who had the avs, they would simply not install the actuators. Non-avs struts will mount on a avs equipped vehicle, you just wont be able to adjust the suspension dampning.

Make sure you buy left and right, I would also purchase the rubber mount kit for the front. The rear is not needed as the kyb already comes with top bushings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdOP...hannel=DadTube
Thanks for the info, will definitely take a look under there when I can. In regards to what it looks like in my car, I KNOW I have AVS and have used it many times in the past and loved the adaptability. Including a pic below of the option for reference.

The discrepancy in the ‘AVS’ vs ‘non-AVS’ part numbers was the genesis of my confusion, will include an example of what I was looking at.

Not sure why my VIN lookup showed the supposed ‘non AVS’ part number as I do want that functionality going forward given the disparity in cost is nonexistent on m-y-l-parts dot com. Thanks for your help
Old 04-27-24, 04:36 PM
scags460
10th Gear

Thanks for the info, will definitely take a look under there when I can. In regards to what it looks like in my car, I KNOW I have AVS and have used it many times in the past and loved the adaptability. Including a pic below of the option for reference.

The discrepancy in the ‘AVS’ vs ‘non-AVS’ part numbers was the genesis of my confusion, will include an example of what I was looking at.

Not sure why my VIN lookup showed the supposed ‘non AVS’ part number as I do want that functionality going forward given the disparity in cost is nonexistent on m-y-l-parts dot com. Thanks for your help
Apologies for the cut off second photo I was posting to show the differences in descriptions. Amended one below!

Old 04-27-24, 05:24 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

I looked on RockAuto and the fronts only show non AVS parts. Am I looking in the right spot? For looking under the hood, would you have a rough approximation where to look? Appreciate the help
if you have AVS, you will want to order part numbers 721007 and 721008. They are the same part numbers as the ones listed under the GS350 on rock auto, and they do say there that they are for AVS. I verified this with KYB a while back- they are the correct part numbers for a gs460 with AVS. the active sway bar was a secondary option on the car, and not the same as adaptive variable suspension. unless your car has the active sway bar of course, then they would not be the right part.

Last edited by mspearl95; 04-27-24 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-28-24, 01:27 AM
Oceans13
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

I have a 2008 GS460, dealer recommended I switch rear shock absorbers. i installed the KYB rear shocks / mounts from rockauto. The ones for the GS350 with AVS. They work well.

Old 04-28-24, 01:46 AM
scags460
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mspearl95
if you have AVS, you will want to order part numbers 721007 and 721008. They are the same part numbers as the ones listed under the GS350 on rock auto, and they do say there that they are for AVS. I verified this with KYB a while back- they are the correct part numbers for a gs460 with AVS. the active sway bar was a secondary option on the car, and not the same as adaptive variable suspension. unless your car has the active sway bar of course, then they would not be the right part.
Ah I see thank you for this info! And appreciate the enlightenment, I did not realize those options were independent of each other, how can one tell if there is an active away bar assuming AVS is enabled? Thanks again
Old 04-28-24, 01:52 AM
scags460
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Oceans13
I have a 2008 GS460, dealer recommended I switch rear shock absorbers. i installed the KYB rear shocks / mounts from rockauto. The ones for the GS350 with AVS. They work well.

Hey there, thanks for this it’s helpful! to clarify, you purchased the aforementioned KYB post numbers from rock auto with an AVS enabled 460 and no errors? Also did you just replace the strut mounts or other parts as well? In addition, like another commenter stated, do you know if you have the active sway bar option? Thanks!
Old 04-28-24, 03:02 AM
Oceans13
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

That's correct, the 350 and 460 share the exact same suspension. Besides the shocks I also changed the mounts, also from rockauto. I changed their swaybar bushings as well. I believe Moog on rear, Figs on front. Active Sway bar is pretty rare, you can tell if you have it because there's a abit of extra machinery in the trunk to support that.

Fui, KYB is the OEM manufacturer for Lexus GS shocks.
Old 04-28-24, 11:11 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oceans13
nice! I'm getting ready to do this is well. Was the job pretty straightforward? Any tips or tricks to offer?

Quick Reply: 2008 GS460 - Unsure part numbers for AVS Suspension Repair