ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

New ES350...having a few minor problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 09:33 PM
rocket363
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New ES350...having a few minor problems

Just got a 2024 ES350 UL less than three weeks ago. Just crossed 1k miles. I'm really liking it, but I have a handful of "small" issues which I'm not sure if they're really issues or if I should just suck it up.

1) Transmission seems a little jerky. It's usually fine but especially at slow speeds (like going slowly through my neighborhood at night) it will jump around but not as smoothly as I was expecting.
2) The pano roof squeals some when opening. It seems more pronounced when I'm opening both the roof and shade at the same time, although recently I've noticed it some when just opening the actual roof
3) The driver seat has a creak to it at times, usually when I'm moving in it (taking a turn, or even at times adjusting myself in the seat). I'm certain the sound coming from behind/below the seat, and not something I'm doing myself
4) There is an occasional creak coming from the rear passenger-side window area, usually when starting from a stop, or stopping fully. I suspect the manual sunshade housing is to blame as if I press on it then it makes the same sound. (The other side makes no sound.)
5) Today the automatic wipers suddenly started wiping at a fairly brisk pace even though there had been no rain for at least 5 mins and the windshield was clear. I had to click it off then back on to stop it.
6) The automatic high beams like to turn on and stay on while going through my neighborhood, even though there are plenty of street and house lights all around
7) Is it me, or is the wind noise at highway speeds quite high in this car?

#2,3,4 I figured I'd talk to the dealer next time I stop by, probably at my 5k initial service. I figure I could "collect" little annoyances and take care of them all at once. Are #1, 5, and 6 to be expected on occasion? Or should I be concerned? It's really amazing to me how many different electronics and systems there are in the car so I don't know if I'm being picky and that's just how things go at times, or if I should expect better performance. #7 is something of an idle gripe--nothing really to be done there I don't think.

I really do like the car, but this is the third brand new car I've bought and first one with as many problems as this. I bought it for the vaunted Lexus/Toyota build quality and reliability and so far I'm not really seeing it.
Old 05-07-24, 05:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket363
Just got a 2024 ES350 UL less than three weeks ago. Just crossed 1k miles. I'm really liking it, but I have a handful of "small" issues which I'm not sure if they're really issues or if I should just suck it up.

1) Transmission seems a little jerky. It's usually fine but especially at slow speeds (like going slowly through my neighborhood at night) it will jump around but not as smoothly as I was expecting.
2) The pano roof squeals some when opening. It seems more pronounced when I'm opening both the roof and shade at the same time, although recently I've noticed it some when just opening the actual roof
3) The driver seat has a creak to it at times, usually when I'm moving in it (taking a turn, or even at times adjusting myself in the seat). I'm certain the sound coming from behind/below the seat, and not something I'm doing myself
4) There is an occasional creak coming from the rear passenger-side window area, usually when starting from a stop, or stopping fully. I suspect the manual sunshade housing is to blame as if I press on it then it makes the same sound. (The other side makes no sound.)
5) Today the automatic wipers suddenly started wiping at a fairly brisk pace even though there had been no rain for at least 5 mins and the windshield was clear. I had to click it off then back on to stop it.
6) The automatic high beams like to turn on and stay on while going through my neighborhood, even though there are plenty of street and house lights all around

#2,3,4 I figured I'd talk to the dealer next time I stop by, probably at my 5k initial service. I figure I could "collect" little annoyances and take care of them all at once. Are #1, 5, and 6 to be expected on occasion? Or should I be concerned? It's really amazing to me how many different electronics and systems there are in the car so I don't know if I'm being picky and that's just how things go at times, or if I should expect better performance. #7 is something of an idle gripe--nothing really to be done there I don't think.

I really do like the car, but this is the third brand new car I've bought and first one with as many problems as this. I bought it for the vaunted Lexus/Toyota build quality and reliability and so far I'm not really seeing it.
Much discussion for nearly six years now on the eight speed tranny. That's the way it behaves. It won't bother you much if you do lots of highway driving. Not sure about the other things you mention. My ES has been pretty bullet proof now for 72K miles and nearly six years.
The following users liked this post:
rocket363 (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24, 06:14 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 561 Likes on 399 Posts

As @mikemu30 mentioned the 8 speed is known to do that since it's introduction few years ago.

As for the squeaks and rattles the dealer should be able to fix them.

I had several when i bought my 2020 ES: front seat, console, rear seat, trunk door. Dealer eventually fixed them after few attempts.
rocket363 (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24, 07:42 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket363

1) normal
2) take in for service/repair
3) take in for service/repair
4) take in for service/repair
5) take in for service/repair
6) take in for service/repair
7) normal. you might be expecting too much thinking "oh it's an ES, must be silent." It's not that the ES isn't quiet, it's more that other cars have caught up so there's not much of a differential if any. I remember one of the UK car reviewers tested ES against its peers and in terms of quietness, it ranked about mid pack. BMW usually takes that crown.
rocket363 (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24, 08:38 AM
GreenGobln
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If you dont like the 8 speed tranny go test drive a 10 speed Mustang. You'll be thankful for it. I sold my Mustang GT for an ES and the 10 speed in the Mustang was all over the place. I find the ES to be good and I'm glad its not a cvt.
Everything else is just minor things that the dealer should be able to fix with the exception of the high beams/sensors. I have noticed they can be unreliable at times so I dont even use them unless I'm in a really dark place.
The following 2 users liked this post by GreenGobln:
es250fsport (05-10-24), rocket363 (05-08-24)
Old 05-07-24, 08:40 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GreenGobln
If you dont like the 8 speed tranny go test drive a 10 speed Mustang. You'll be thankful for it. I sold my Mustang GT for an ES and the 10 speed in the Mustang was all over the place. I find the ES to be good and I'm glad its not a cvt.
Everything else is just minor things that the dealer should be able to fix with the exception of the high beams/sensors. I have noticed they can be unreliable at times so I dont even use them unless I'm in a really dark place.
Or go for the hybrid but it's no Mustang GT
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
RadiantX45 (05-07-24), rocket363 (05-08-24)
Old 05-07-24, 10:26 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

As others have said here, don't put up with the creaks. It took me two attempts to get the dealer to fix my creaking driver's seat bottom, but it was worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
FastDawg (05-08-24), rocket363 (05-08-24)
Old 05-07-24, 10:54 AM
Pierregirard
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A few minor problems? I see here a vast list of problems. If it's a brand new, just return it back to the dealership
Old 05-07-24, 10:14 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Your auto high beams are working properly. They are supposed to react to headlights and taillights, not house lights and street lights. If they don’t turn off for headlights and taillights, that would be a problem.

Last edited by Denzlex; 05-08-24 at 01:16 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Denzlex:
dklanecky1 (05-08-24), ESh (05-07-24), GS350Miami (05-08-24), mike995134 (06-07-24), rocket363 (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 01:11 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

How is the shifting from 1 to 2? Is that hard when accelerating slowly?
How is it when you get stuck at traffic?
Mine I can feel it more while accelerating slowly but if I am accelerating normally, the shift is almost seamless.
rocket363 (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 05:18 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Denzlex
Your auto high beams are working properly. They are supposed to react to headlights and taillights, not house lights and street lights. If they don’t turn off for headlights and taillights, that would be a problem.
Also I've noticed the wipers go wacky every now and then. It doesn't last long though at least in my experience.
rocket363 (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 05:23 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I would turn off the automatic high beam. Use it when you need it...
The interior noises, I would get them to have a look at it.
The following 2 users liked this post by es250fsport:
FastDawg (05-08-24), rocket363 (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 07:47 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by es250fsport
I would turn off the automatic high beam. Use it when you need it...
The interior noises, I would get them to have a look at it.
Then it's no longer "automatic"
The following 5 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Denzlex (05-08-24), es250fsport (05-08-24), landonm86 (05-09-24), LexFinally (05-13-24), rocket363 (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 01:43 PM
rocket363
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the responses! I will keep a log of any creaks/rattles and talk to the dealer. If it doesn't get worse I'll do it during my initial 5k service, but if it gets worse I'll schedule an appointment before that.

Responding to a few comments:

Originally Posted by Denzlex
The owner manual states (p 159 for my 2024) that the high beams will be turned on when "...there are few street lights on the road ahead" and will be turned off when "...there are many streetlights on the road ahead." Of course the other conditions about cars are in there, but it's not limited to just cars. I'm guessing my neighborhood somewhat straddles the line between having "few" and having "many" streetlights. I'm now less concerned about it, and will consider it the limitations of the system. It just seems rude to me to be driving down my street and having my high beams potentially flooding someone's bedroom with light at 11pm. And I agree with the other poster who said that if I have to do things myself, then it's no longer automatic. First world problems, for sure.

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Also I've noticed the wipers go wacky every now and then. It doesn't last long though at least in my experience.
I appreciate this feedback. Upon reading more forums online, it sounds like automatic wipers are generally imperfect. I'll see if its spontaneously turning on recurs. But if it doesn't (or very rarely happens) I won't worry much about it. Otherwise, it's another item to bring up during my 5k service.

Originally Posted by es250fsport
How is the shifting from 1 to 2? Is that hard when accelerating slowly?
How is it when you get stuck at traffic?
Mine I can feel it more while accelerating slowly but if I am accelerating normally, the shift is almost seamless.
I'd say the shifts are generally a bit harder than I would expect whether I'm accelerating slowly or more quickly, but it usually appears at lower speeds. At highway speeds I notice the tach dancing around some but it's butter smooth. If I'm going a constant, say, 15 in my neighborhood it will dance around some but it's much more noticeable. I wouldn't call it harsh, just more apparent than I would have expected in a car of this caliber. Based on the feedback here I will chalk it up to "that's just how it is" and not worry about it unless it gets worse. I also just came from a Honda-built manual transmission (been driving manuals since the 90's) which I was able to shift supremely smoothly. So I might just not be used to how automatics are. But I will say the Honda/Acura DCT was pretty darn smooth, as well.

Thanks, again. I of course still appreciate any more feedback if anyone has some!
Old 05-08-24, 01:46 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The rain sensor also picks up bug splats on the windshield directly in front of the rain sensor. A swipe or two of the wiper blade is usually enough to smear the remains below detection level. I've had that happen a time or two on bright sunny days with nary a cloud in sight.

While I haven't heard of it happening with a Toyota/Lexus system, an acquaintance had her vehicle do an emergency collision stop from a freeway cruising speed when a bug committed suicide on the windshield directly in front of the ADAS's forward facing camera.
The following 2 users liked this post by grp52:
LexFinally (05-13-24), rocket363 (05-08-24)

Quick Reply: New ES350...having a few minor problems