LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aesthetics Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-24, 01:45 AM
SuzieCue
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aesthetics Questions

Hi everyone! I have a few aesthetics questions. I have a 2008 LS600hL, and I want to add some chrome to the exterior. My grand old dame is Mercury Metallic, so I was thinking chrome mirror caps and door handle covers would be tasteful, and not rice. There are chrome pillar trims available, but I think that might be too much. I want to keep my car understated and elegant, but with a little flair. I'm also thinking about having the stock wheels chromed. I have.a cousin who can chrome them for me, and he does amazing work. Do you guys think mirror caps and door handle covers are too much chrome? Are they rice? I think the stock wheels will look gorgeous in chrome, so I'm excited about that, but I'm not sure about the rest. Your answers and advice are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Suzie
Old 06-13-24, 02:19 AM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Forgive my ignorance but I thought the 460 already had Chrome door handles? That is what you mean by covers, right?

Were they not standard on the 600H?

The following users liked this post:
SuzieCue (06-13-24)
Old 06-13-24, 02:37 AM
SuzieCue
9th Gear

Oh my gosh, I'm such a bonehead. I went outside and looked at my car and you're right. Thank you. You saved me from making a stupid mistake. My other questions still stand if you want to share your opinion on them or if you have advice.
Old 06-13-24, 10:56 AM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I should preface my answer by making it clear that I'm not the biggest fan of chrome to begin with so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

​​​​​​Would chrome wheels look rice? I definitely would not say they are ricey in general. I think that would depend more on the style of the wheel than whether or not they are chrome. Personally, I think chrome wheels look good on these cars even if I would rather not have them. They do pop, especially with certain colors. That said, my '07 L has the 18" Chrome wheels and I was actually planning on Plasti dipping them black over the 4th of July before I bought an F Sport. I don't see the point now that I'm selling my L.

As for as the mirror caps? I personally think those do look ricey. Just not my bag.

The following 3 users liked this post by Nyaa:
Cgw1984 (06-22-24), Piney1 (06-14-24), SuzieCue (06-16-24)
Old 06-14-24, 05:16 AM
HJP12
Pit Crew

Received 136 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SuzieCue
Hi everyone! I have a few aesthetics questions. I have a 2008 LS600hL, and I want to add some chrome to the exterior. My grand old dame is Mercury Metallic, so I was thinking chrome mirror caps and door handle covers would be tasteful, and not rice. There are chrome pillar trims available, but I think that might be too much. I want to keep my car understated and elegant, but with a little flair. I'm also thinking about having the stock wheels chromed. I have.a cousin who can chrome them for me, and he does amazing work. Do you guys think mirror caps and door handle covers are too much chrome? Are they rice? I think the stock wheels will look gorgeous in chrome, so I'm excited about that, but I'm not sure about the rest. Your answers and advice are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Suzie
I have a black 2016 with chrome wheels and I think they look great!

The following 2 users liked this post by HJP12:
dlbuckls10 (06-14-24), SuzieCue (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 12:32 AM
SuzieCue
9th Gear

Nyaa,
Thanks for your advice. Normally I don't care for chrome unless the car was made before 1980, but my '08 is Mercury Metallic, and I thought the chrome wheels would look beautiful. I'm wondering if I can find a set of stock 18" chrome wheels and switching my painted ones for the chrome. As for the mirror caps, I found out they fit over the existing mirror housings and I think they might end up looking cheap because I don't think the edges wrap around the lip of the housing that's around the mirror.

Last edited by SuzieCue; 06-16-24 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-16-24, 12:35 AM
SuzieCue
9th Gear

HJP12,
Thank you, I appreciate your reply. Your LS is gorgeous! They really look great with the black paint! I'm definitely going with a set of stock chrome 18s if I can find them.
Old 06-16-24, 06:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I think all that stick on chrome stuff looks janky...if you're going to add chrome, add chrome wheels.
Cgw1984 (06-22-24)
Old 06-16-24, 08:31 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think all that stick on chrome stuff looks janky...if you're going to add chrome, add chrome wheels.
Agree, and if you add chrome wheels get an offset that brings your wheels out some to improve the overall looks of your car.
Cgw1984 (06-22-24)
Old 06-16-24, 08:58 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 284 Likes on 168 Posts

Am not a fan of aftermarket chrome or add-ons other than the most subtle. My F-Sport has the rear lip on the trunk & that is about as aftermarket as I like them other than tint. If you want to dress yours up some, OEM wheels from a different one are probably your best bet. This is mine on a rainy day.

Old 06-22-24, 11:31 PM
Cgw1984
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Piney1
Am not a fan of aftermarket chrome or add-ons other than the most subtle. My F-Sport has the rear lip on the trunk & that is about as aftermarket as I like them other than tint. If you want to dress yours up some, OEM wheels from a different one are probably your best bet. This is mine on a rainy day.
your factory spoiler is as aftermarket as you like? That makes no sense.
Old 06-23-24, 04:02 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 284 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgw1984
your factory spoiler is as aftermarket as you like? That makes no sense.
Yes, I go for tint, upgraded OEM wheels and very subtle things like the spoiler. They sell one similar to the one I have If I recall correctly. Depending on the lines of a car, pinstripes or blacking out trim. I’m very reserved though. The automotive aftermarket put me through college, I totally get why it exists but just don’t care for aftermarket chrome and stuff like that.

My last GX, I leveled, dipped the wheels, updated the nose, headlights and rear, tinted and but on more aggressive rubber but nothing super overt.
Old 06-26-24, 11:57 PM
SuzieCue
9th Gear

SW17LS and Gerf: thank you both for your advice. I'm not going to stick the mirror caps on my car. I agree they would look janky. As for the wheels, I'm going to go with the chrome and Gerf, I'll take your advice about the offset. Thanks again!
Old 06-27-24, 12:05 AM
SuzieCue
9th Gear

I'm going with the OEM chrome 18s. Mine's not an F-Sport, so I don't think a spoiler would look good on it. I do plan on tinting the windows with a 30% or 25% tint next month as a birthday gift to myself. Then, I'll have the underbody coated for the winter. Michigan winters are horrible on cars. I also think it's a good idea to use the wheels I have right now for the winter and put the chrome on in summer. All the salt on our roads is awful for chrome wheels. What's your opinion?
Your LS is beautiful, btw. I've always loved Lexus's white paints.
Old 06-27-24, 12:16 AM
SuzieCue
9th Gear

Yes, I go for tint, upgraded OEM wheels and very subtle things like the spoiler. They sell one similar to the one I have If I recall correctly. Depending on the lines of a car, pinstripes or blacking out trim. I’m very reserved though. The automotive aftermarket put me through college, I totally get why it exists but just don’t care for aftermarket chrome and stuff like that.

My last GX, I leveled, dipped the wheels, updated the nose, headlights and rear, tinted and but on more aggressive rubber but nothing super overt.
I'm with you on being subtle. It makes more sense than being all gaudy with chrome everywhere. The car is subtle with the Mercury Metallic paint and the ash interior with black birdseye maple. It has enough stock chrome trim that the wheels will be enough. My paint though, needs a thorough detailing and some repair. The whole car could do with a clay bar and some sanding/polishing. It's 16 years old, so there's more than a few scratches on it that need to be taken care of. I usually try to keep up with maintaining the exterior and interior, but I had colon cancer five years ago, and kind of fell off while I was in treatment and then after I had surgery. I'm getting back into my regular maintenance routine now, and I'd like to see the car reach 500,000 miles in good shape.