GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 gs350 AFS system

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-24, 11:36 PM
Parentelic
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 gs350 AFS system

My 2013 gs350 has AFS according to the original window sticker that was in the glovebox when I purchased it and there is an AFS on/off button under the steering column near the foot well. I also had a minor fender bender where a body shop had to replace the drivers side headlight and replaced it with an AFS light (I know because they had to get approval from my insurance company) so I'm quite sure the car came equipped with the AFS system. I have had the AFS switch in both positions and have noticed absolutely no change in the headlights. They do not turn raise up or down or do anything whatsoever. There are no warning lights/messages on the display.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and knows how to fix it.
Old 06-20-24, 05:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,522 Posts

Originally Posted by Parentelic
My 2013 gs350 has AFS according to the original window sticker that was in the glovebox when I purchased it and there is an AFS on/off button under the steering column near the foot well. I also had a minor fender bender where a body shop had to replace the drivers side headlight and replaced it with an AFS light (I know because they had to get approval from my insurance company) so I'm quite sure the car came equipped with the AFS system. I have had the AFS switch in both positions and have noticed absolutely no change in the headlights. They do not turn raise up or down or do anything whatsoever. There are no warning lights/messages on the display.

If the AFS light is not flashing on the instrument cluster it may be working okay and you just don't know it is.

It's operation is subtle and only activates above ~10 mph and not too noticeable at higher speeds depending on vehicle speed and steering wheel activity.

It's fun learning about things you don't know - about things you do know...

Last edited by bclexus; 06-20-24 at 07:18 AM. Reason: orthography
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (Today)
Old Today, 12:46 PM
echpa105
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Parentelic

I have the exact same issue. 2013 GS350 wife backed into headlight, Insurance replaced with AFS headlight which I think was around $2k. AFS button under dash, nothing happens in either position. No light on dash indicating AFS malfunction or system off. My window sticker says the same thing that it is equipped with AFS. I'm wondering if the AFS module has been unplugged but I haven't had the time yet to pull the carpet back to see if I could locate it.

My AFS button has some weird blue looking tape on it and I'm not sure why.

Old Today, 01:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,522 Posts

If the AFS light is not flashing on the instrument cluster it may be working as designed and you just don't know it or are able to see it.

It's important to understand the AFS operation is very subtle and only activates above ~10 mph and is hardly noticeable at higher speeds depending on vehicle speed and steering wheel activity.

You may not even notice if AFS makes any difference...

I'm guessing the body shop had the AFS button pushed in and taped down with blue tape to install and make tests, and left a little bit of the tape remaining on the pushbutton switch when they removed it.

Old Today, 02:09 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

If you have AFS you will definitely notice it operating at night.
Old Today, 02:58 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RadiantX45
If you have AFS you will definitely notice it operating at night.
I agree. If you are looking for it, like anyone who posts in this thread would be, you will notice it. Someone who doesn’t know anything about AFS or isn’t looking for it may not notice it.
Old Today, 04:12 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Have that system on my 13 GS. I notice every time I drive at night. If going around a curve at 55mph +, or turning a corner I see the beam move. The Beam actually moves remarkably quick, but you can see it change the beam pattern.