GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Possible suspension/steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-24, 06:35 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Possible suspension/steering

So, over the last few weeks, each time I take my GS out for a drive, I've noticed a very subtle but omnipresent change in the "feel" of the suspension movements. I'm talking about that feedback you get from your fingers/palms on the wheel, or the sensations under your feet. It just feels "off", very very slightly so.

First, I'll admit it could be all in my head, but I thought before I lift the car up and start down the path of looking for trouble, I figured I'd ask for likely places to start looking. Thia forum is excellent at pointing people in the right general direction.

The feeling is a sense of extra movement on certain bumps. I feel a certain faint excess movement (cannot stress how slight and faint the feeling is). It feels located up front, and seems exacerbated when steering inputs meet suspension movements.

My first thought is to check the swaybar links, because in other cars I've owned, those take a lot of abuse and make a lot of racket, even just barely worn past tolerances.

So, care to play "guess that part" with me? 😅
Old 06-20-24, 06:39 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 143 Posts

How many miles on the car?

F-Sport/Luxury?
The following 2 users liked this post by GrandSedanFan:
gripau1 (06-27-24), jgscott (06-20-24)
Old 06-20-24, 06:50 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GrandSedanFan
How many miles on the car?

F-Sport/Luxury?
2013 Lux AWD, 118k on the clock.
Old 06-20-24, 06:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
So, over the last few weeks, each time I take my GS out for a drive, I've noticed a very subtle but omnipresent change in the "feel" of the suspension movements. I'm talking about that feedback you get from your fingers/palms on the wheel, or the sensations under your feet. It just feels "off", very very slightly so.

First, I'll admit it could be all in my head, but I thought before I lift the car up and start down the path of looking for trouble, I figured I'd ask for likely places to start looking. Thia forum is excellent at pointing people in the right general direction.

The feeling is a sense of extra movement on certain bumps. I feel a certain faint excess movement (cannot stress how slight and faint the feeling is). It feels located up front, and seems exacerbated when steering inputs meet suspension movements.

My first thought is to check the swaybar links, because in other cars I've owned, those take a lot of abuse and make a lot of racket, even just barely worn past tolerances.

So, care to play "guess that part" with me? 😅
A combination of the tires flexing and normal suspension movement could be what you are sensing.

Looking for trouble in cases like this can easily become a fruitless fool's game.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-20-24 at 07:00 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 06-20-24, 09:14 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
A combination of the tires flexing and normal suspension movement could be what you are sensing.

Looking for trouble in cases like this can easily become a fruitless fool's game.

Quite plausible! I won't spend money looking for trouble but I'll share with the crowd anything I find, if I find it. This sensation didn't exist when I bought the car about 8 months ago. In fact, the only odd sensation on test drive was crappy brake squeal which I resolved myself with all new parts right after I got the green slip.👍 Oh, and a leaky sunroof seal easily replaced.

Just thought about it some, and I recall the RR Racing video under the chassis, with the movement and noise from the lca bushing. I wonder if one of those started to break down, because they have a lot of deflection. Hmmm 🤔
Old 06-20-24, 10:23 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Is it more noticeable, less noticeable, or the same in S+?

Trying to rule out dampers. If your dampers are still original, they are likely due to be replaced anyways. I was getting weird steering behavior from excessively soft dampers in the rear when I installed KYB Gas-A-Just AVS rears. When the suspension loaded up while turning, the lack of rebound dampening in the rear was allowing the rear to roll much more quickly and than the front, which I could feel in the wheel. This behavior went away when I put the OEM AVS dampers back on.

Old 06-20-24, 08:38 PM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

I popped it in S+ today and putted around town, noticed no more or less of "the sensation" that I'm poorly describing. It could definitely be a shock part, though the shocks themselves seem fine. They are OEM parts, unsure if they are original.
Could be tires, the fronts have just begun to feather lightly, so I'll rotate them and validate. Something might be contributing to the feathering (outside of each front tire.) Tires are 235/45R18 Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive or something, V rated. Not my choice, but not terrible in Grand Touring options, I've come to understand. I would be more of a UHP all season, lower profile kind of a guy if I had a damn budget for things these days.

Originally Posted by GrandSedanFan
Is it more noticeable, less noticeable, or the same in S+?

Trying to rule out dampers. If your dampers are still original, they are likely due to be replaced anyways. I was getting weird steering behavior from excessively soft dampers in the rear when I installed KYB Gas-A-Just AVS rears. When the suspension loaded up while turning, the lack of rebound dampening in the rear was allowing the rear to roll much more quickly and than the front, which I could feel in the wheel. This behavior went away when I put the OEM AVS dampers back on.
Old 06-25-24, 04:39 AM
Richb1954
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New tires and an alignment.
Old 06-25-24, 06:21 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Richb1954
New tires and an alignment.
Tires are good, I'd put them at about 70% tread remaining. Slight feathering on outer edge on both fronts, could be alignment but it could also just be aggressive driving habits I have. They will have to do until I upgrade the wheel/tire setup to something more sporting and like I enjoy.
I plan (when/if the economy stops sucking) on doing a suspension drop (Tanabe, RS-R Down, or pony up for proper AWD coilovers), and of course when doing that I would align. It tracks straight and true under street and highway driving.

Slight update, I experimented by placing my feet in various positions on the floorboard, while underway. This is slightly limited in the AWD driver's area because the extra bump in the floorboard for the FWD shaft is in the way, but it is still possible. Anyway, if I put my foot flat to the floor and run over broken pavement, that's where I feel it most. Also it can be felt in the brake pedal, especially if you touch it with the side of your foot without applying brake pressure. Just sounds and feels ever so slightly "loose".

We're dealing with some very high temps but I do plan on getting it up in the air to check it out soon.

Old 06-26-24, 07:35 PM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Today I was able to get the car up side to side as I rotated the tires. I did a basic shakedown but without a lift and specific techniques of putting a prying and trying to flex things, I didn't feel anything loose.

I did see some small cracks in the left front rear control arm bushing

LF LCA bushing

Putting my hands on it, I couldn't feel much but the pics do show some wear. Note: that big "crack" that goes all the way around, I'm not 100% sure it's not just a seam, but the weather checking across does look real.

Other angle:

The passenger side looked just a little bit better but same basic wear. The question on my mind is...we all know this is a "weak point" of the suspension, how does everyone else's look or do you just replace it with GS-F or other aftermarket parts and call it good?

Also, just curious, is this how the strut mounting to the lower control arm supposed to look?

Ok that's all I can report on without a lift and some possible really close (like part in my hand) investigation.

Old 06-26-24, 09:11 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Today I was able to get the car up side to side as I rotated the tires. I did a basic shakedown but without a lift and specific techniques of putting a prying and trying to flex things, I didn't feel anything loose.

I did see some small cracks in the left front rear control arm bushing

LF LCA bushing

Putting my hands on it, I couldn't feel much but the pics do show some wear. Note: that big "crack" that goes all the way around, I'm not 100% sure it's not just a seam, but the weather checking across does look real.

Other angle:

The passenger side looked just a little bit better but same basic wear. The question on my mind is...we all know this is a "weak point" of the suspension, how does everyone else's look or do you just replace it with GS-F or other aftermarket parts and call it good?

Also, just curious, is this how the strut mounting to the lower control arm supposed to look?

Ok that's all I can report on without a lift and some possible really close (like part in my hand) investigation.
If my front aft LCA bushings looked like that, I would change them. I have GS-F bushings on my car. I am very happy with them.
The following 3 users liked this post by GrandSedanFan:
fourthmeal (06-26-24), gripau1 (06-27-24), PhilC13 (Today)
Old 06-27-24, 04:34 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

These are the ones, right? All the same for AWD models vs. RWD:
OEM parts
48075-24010 x1
48076-24010 x1

If so I'll buy them now.

Edit: research says they are the right ones so I ordered them. 91 bucks shipped, if they are as-described I think that is a good price including fast shipping.

Last edited by fourthmeal; 06-27-24 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-27-24, 01:55 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

RR Racing poly bushings far out perform the GSF bushings. And they will last much longer. The steering feedback is night and day in comparison to the GSF bushings just need to provide lube once a year. I have the RR bushings and have not been disappointed.
Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by repugnante
RR Racing poly bushings far out perform the GSF bushings. And they will last much longer. The steering feedback is night and day in comparison to the GSF bushings just need to provide lube once a year. I have the RR bushings and have not been disappointed.
That's excellent to hear! I have them saved on my "to-buy" list (the street version the website says is optimal for AWD) but the price put them out of reach for this round. If they were in the $150'ish range or so I probably could have gotten away with it. But for ~$350, it jumps past the "ok fine just get it" range. Inflation without a pay increase to match is killing me.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's excellent to hear! I have them saved on my "to-buy" list (the street version the website says is optimal for AWD) but the price put them out of reach for this round. If they were in the $150'ish range or so I probably could have gotten away with it. But for ~$350, it jumps past the "ok fine just get it" range. Inflation without a pay increase to match is killing me.
Certainly understandable. I bought them during the pandemic when they were around $250 ish for a short time. If you ever get your money up, take a chance on these. The difference is immediate.
The following users liked this post:
fourthmeal (Yesterday)