IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Input Needed: IS500 vs BMW M340i

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-24, 07:24 AM
spielnicht
5th Gear

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
Default Input Needed: IS500 vs BMW M340i

New to the forum and in the market for a new car. Let's just get this out there: I'm a long-time BMW fan and owner of multiple BMWs (currently and over the years). Just recently sold my 2014 BMW 550i and looking at a replacement. I want to get into something just as powerful but preferably lighter, slightly more compact, and a handling monster. I love V8s. The sound of them. The smoothness. The power. With that said, I've given up on BMW V8s. They're just...bad, in terms of reliability, maintenance and TCO. The obvious option for me had been the M340i (or M440i) with the glorious B58. That is, until I learned that the IS500 has a NA V8 and heard one in person with a Borla S exhaust. Needless to say I immediately fell in love. I've never owned anything but German cars, but had always appreciated and admired Lexus' design language. I genuinely love the way the IS looks.

I've read reviews upon reviews and comparisons of the two cars, but hoping to get a true first-hand perspective from IS500 owners. Have any of you considered the M340i before getting your IS500? What drew you to the IS vs M340i (or other way around)? What would I be missing on getting the IS500 over the M340i? What about the M340i over the IS500?

I already know of the following and factored into my decision (so far):
  • M340i xDrive is gonna run circles around the IS500 (0-60). Don't really care. I'm not drag racing anyone. I'm 45 and just love the thrill of a fast acceleration on the road (and putting some annoying drivers in their place).
  • IS500's achilles heel is the 8-speed tranny - no where as crisp as the ZF8. Again, not gonna be tracking the car, so not as much of a factor.
  • IS500 has what journalists are calling "outdated interior". We already own a 2024 X3 M40i. I actually like the look of the IS interior much more than the cheesy, shiny & plasticy modern BMW interior.
  • IS500 supposedly has far less modern tech than the BMW. GREAT. Less unnecessary intrusions to a driver's car experience. The absolute only modern tech I care about is CarPlay, and I've read you can just add a 3rd party adapter to get wireless CarPlay capability (vs wired).
Collecting as much input as I can from both the BMW forum as well as hopefully here before taking both for a test drive this week, so any input is highly appreciated.

My profile on the BMW forum - to be prove legit-ness

P.s. I posted this originally in the general 2014+ board.

Popular Reply

Yesterday, 06:01 AM
spielnicht
5th Gear

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post

Well. I'm a first-time Lexus owner

Took all your input (and those from the BMW forum) and went for a test drive of both cars this past Tuesday. Gave myself 48 hours to think hard about which one I enjoyed more. I got massively lucky that both dealers had 1 last car of each in exact specs I wanted (blue exterior, black interior). Needless to say, the IS500 won me over. Both cars definitely have their pros and faults, but at the end of the day, the IS500 just spoke to me and felt far more exciting. I just love the smoothness of the V8, even with a less-than-snappy tranny. There is more I can say about both, but the objectified facts have been already shared by you guys, and the subjective...well that's just for me.

Picked her up last night. CDK Global outage was a nightmare - everything we had to do with paper. But it's home now and can't wait for a real drive after I'm done with work.

Old 06-24-24, 09:20 AM
theEZV
10th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey there, I replied in your other thread
The transmission is perfectly fine btw, not quite as smooth or responsive as the ZF, but it works.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 09:25 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 373 Likes on 164 Posts

Sounds like you already know all the "shortcomings" which all depend on your frame of mind. All that's left is to test drive it and put them all to rest.
The following 3 users liked this post by Benibiker1558:
04gita (06-27-24), sunamer (06-27-24), TGPCanada (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 09:55 AM
Ganyu
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Lexus IS500 now, but before I had the Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG. I was considering the BMW M340i but the reasons i went with the IS500 was because:
- I was tired of paying crazy prices on stupid services. The sunroof on my C43 exploded during winter time and it costed me so much money and time.
- Reliability was a big decision with the IS500, I heard the engine is bulletproof and will last a long time.
- Depreciation, I figured with a NA V8 the Lexus IS500 wouldn't lose as much value as a M340i or maybe through time it might actually be worth a lot.

The BMW M340i is a great car, but it just isn't so special anymore. The only issue I have with my IS 500 is that the exhaust is way too quiet, I ordered a RR-Racing Bazooka exhaust and am waiting for it.
Also with the transmission, you have to really warm up the car if you want faster shifts, if it's cold it's pretty rough. But overall I love my IS500, it looks good, it's reliable and it's just amazing with the V8.
Old 06-24-24, 11:23 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 773 Likes on 321 Posts

You've owned many bimmers in the past. I think you'll find the IS500 a nice change of pace. The IS500 is rare, it looks spectacular (turns heads), and sounds invigorating. It is extremely comfortable, rides very well, and I prefer the way it handles and even the steering feel compared to the 330i I also own. The steering feel on the bimmer is just weird, lifeless, numb, don't know how else to describe it. I've not driven an M340i, and absolutely it is a rocket, with a spectacular transmission and phenomenal hook-up with AWD version. But I just find the rawness, old-school nature of the IS500 to be so appealing. I take the 330i out when I want to chill, have an easy luxury cruise even though its rated #1 by C&D as a sports sedan that you can throw around. When I take the IS500 out, it doesn't take more 5-10 minutes before my patience runs out and I wanted to starting going hard on it, even though its classified as more of a luxury, sports sedan that is ideally suited for cruising and chilling as a daily, which it perfectly performs in this jekyl/hyde character. To plagiarize Tony again - it consumes alot of smiles per gallon.

Ultimately, as you know already, you will not go wrong with either vehicle - it just really depends what you value the most at this stage. Let us know your thoughts after you've test driven both of them (hopefully extensively).

Last edited by TGPCanada; 06-24-24 at 11:31 AM.
Oloung1 (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 11:26 AM
mastershibe
Rookie

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

With the 500 you will get:
* V8 sound that can't be outdone by any current BMW inline-6 IMO
* Reliability, no sweat at all owning 10+ years
* less gimmicky interior
* Very comfy ride, though not to the point of being a barge
* Much lower cost to own past warranty period

With the 3 series you get
* Better transmission in many cases
* BMW planted, extremely responsive handling (Not to be underestimated)
* It's a BMW if that matters to you
* It's faster in both a straight line and in pretty much every other driving situation

For me, the V8 in Sport+ with paddle shifters makes me smile, and BMW didn't do that. This (and 2025) is your last and only chance to get this if you want it.
Old 06-24-24, 12:22 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,693 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Yeah I am pretty sure I replied on your other thread as well.

After driving a G70 last weekend, I am realizing both Lexus and BMW could stand to study the steering in the G70. It feels a lot more communicative. However, I definitely appreciate what both Lexus and BMW are doing with their throttle calibration. The G70 seemed to take forever to wake up and go. This was the 2.5T, mind, not the 3.3T. But anyways, I liked that car a lot. The IS and 3-series feel a bit less like driver's cars than the G70, but I don't know that the G70 is actually a better car.

Just a third option to throw in there.
Oloung1 (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 02:10 PM
ICEforever
Driver

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

I owned a G70 prior to my 2021 IS350 and the Genesis is a DOG. Stay away from Genesis in general and you'll be better off.

As for the OP, you should get the IS500. BMWs have gone way downhill and you know it from personal experience. Maybe take a look at the Audi S4/S5 Sportback?
Old 06-24-24, 02:17 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 278 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't really have much else to add, but just wanted to point out that even our engines have some engineering issues. Apparently around 80-100k miles, give or take, the sealant on the valley plate eventually starts to give and there is a coolant leak. It's about a 1500-3000 dollar fix. This seems in part due to them using adhesive rather than a gasket. All performance engines are going to have some maintenance items that one normally wouldn't have to do on a eco car. Just a data point for you to be aware of. I knew this going into buying the car and still chose it over the 340i because for someone like me who will never track or drag the car the .5 off the 0-60 means nothing to me and the interior of the IS felt way better than the 340. The interiors of BMW seem to have declined since I had my F30 3 series. Also revving out my V8 makes me happier than it should.

Last edited by Renault; 06-24-24 at 02:22 PM.
Oloung1 (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 02:38 PM
snowyblue
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Renault
I don't really have much else to add, but just wanted to point out that even our engines have some engineering issues. Apparently around 80-100k miles, give or take, the sealant on the valley plate eventually starts to give and there is a coolant leak. It's about a 1500-3000 dollar fix. This seems in part due to them using adhesive rather than a gasket. All performance engines are going to have some maintenance items that one normally wouldn't have to do on a eco car. Just a data point for you to be aware of. I knew this going into buying the car and still chose it over the 340i because for someone like me who will never track or drag the car the .5 off the 0-60 means nothing to me and the interior of the IS felt way better than the 340. The interiors of BMW seem to have declined since I had my F30 3 series. Also revving out my V8 makes me happier than it should.
that was a flaw on the 2ur engine very early on like ISF and GSF. not so much since they fixed that issue in 2016 or 17 not sure which year. Could still happen, but not as likely on the newer 2ur engine
Old 06-24-24, 04:14 PM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,147 Likes on 338 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Moonman89:
arentz07 (06-25-24), Bechtold (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 04:32 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 278 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by snowyblue
that was a flaw on the 2ur engine very early on like ISF and GSF. not so much since they fixed that issue in 2016 or 17 not sure which year. Could still happen, but not as likely on the newer 2ur engine
This is great news.
Old 06-24-24, 07:17 PM
RSColeman
6th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure I going to be much help in your decision process. Last BMW I drove was E46 we did not buy it at time as sales staff was just well they were just. That was 30 years ago and never been back to BMW lot since. We just picked up 2024 IS500 on Wednesday. We waited 6 months for color interior and exterior we wanted. Paid MSRP and took it home. So the 5 day driving impression is smile on my face when I get were I am going. The IS500 is replacing a 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe. That car still leaves a smile on my face. Each for different reasons. The IS500 has power hands down. The steering in IS500 at normal is ok in sport+ it is much better. It is however not as good as rack and pinion in G. But I knew that going in. The brakes that I often see folks talking about have great pedal feel and for street use are beyond adequate. So tranny I have not made up my mind yet. Coming from 7 speed in G to this 8 speed I not noticing much difference. The 8 speed is little abrupt when cold in 2 to 1 shift. Not enough miles to make up my mind about tires another complaint I often see but for now they are fine. I have not pushed the car at all will wait till get it past 5000 miles.
Being older my wife and I like the buttons for AC and radio. It took all of 10 seconds to get used to the turn signal. Note this is my wife's car I will drive it if we both go some where or when it needs service but other wise it is her car. She is very happy with it and will mostly school teacher it for the next 15years till it is time for next new ride.
Old 06-24-24, 08:18 PM
Orkboyz
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd been considering a new M340 or M440 Gran Coupe for about 6 months but eventually went with the IS500 for the following reasons.
  • I got tired of paying the BMW owner's tax to fix things on my 435 Msport whenever I did not have the time or ability to fix it myself. I anticipate my eventual Lexus owner's tax will be much less.
  • I don't really use all of the available tech, anyway. Hell, I am not even using the Lexus App.
  • The BMWs have way better gas mileage, but if I am buying a V8 I'm obviously not too concerned about that.
  • No hybrid, no electric assist, no forced induction, just a simple NA engine designed to burn dinosaur juice.
One drawback is that independent Lexus/Toyota shops are sparse where I am and the two Lexus dealers, owned by the same automotive group, have a mediocre reputation.

ICEforever (06-25-24)
Old 06-24-24, 08:19 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by snowyblue
this is not just the 2UR problem, other UR v8 have this issue too
snowyblue (06-24-24)

Quick Reply: Input Needed: IS500 vs BMW M340i