NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Ask any question , nothing is stupid

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-24, 08:33 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 532 Likes on 347 Posts
Post Ask any question , nothing is stupid

Other forums have a similar type thread. It is apparent that there are many, many levels of understanding and many types of Lexus owners. A forum should be establish so that even seemly stupid questions can be asked and answered with no recourse or negative comments. This should be a permanent thread.

Moderator - please feel free to change the title and my introduction.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 06-25-24, 11:46 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
Other forums have a similar type thread. It is apparent that there are many, many levels of understanding and many types of Lexus owners. A forum should be establish so that even seemly stupid questions can be asked and answered with no recourse or negative comments. This should be a permanent thread.

Moderator - please feel free to change the title and my introduction.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Dumb questions continued…. Or call it the “how come” dept. Why can we buy a new NX but can’t get a replacement windshield. Must be a stupid question… nobody can answer it.
Old 06-25-24, 03:27 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb Windshield Replacement

Originally Posted by Sounds
Dumb questions continued…. Or call it the “how come” dept. Why can we buy a new NX but can’t get a replacement windshield. Must be a stupid question… nobody can answer it.
Okay, not sure of the locations but I had a Prius and had to have the whole windshield replaced and it was fast /efficient. There were actual 3 levels of replacement offered, (1) really cheap might have minor glass distortion, (2) OEM equivalent (which I chose) or actual OEM ( more expensive.

Replacement glass should not impact dynamic cruise control, lane keep assist or rain sensing. The might be a slight different with HUD ( I think factory has a special coating) but it should still work okay. Here is on good glass company : Safe Tech Auto Glass : https://safetechautoglass.com/company/ great in Houston, TX area. (recommended)

Satellite Auto Glass: https://www.safelite.com/ps-repair-r...e&gclsrc=3p.ds
does a lot of advertising, but insurance really doesn't cover them and they are very expensive. (NOT RECOMMENDED)

Getting windshield glass directly from Lexus apparently is a problem, sorry can't help with Lexus.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 06-25-24, 04:43 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Okay, not sure of the locations but I had a Prius and had to have the whole windshield replaced and it was fast /efficient. There were actual 3 levels of replacement offered, (1) really cheap might have minor glass distortion, (2) OEM equivalent (which I chose) or actual OEM ( more expensive.

Replacement glass should not impact dynamic cruise control, lane keep assist or rain sensing. The might be a slight different with HUD ( I think factory has a special coating) but it should still work okay. Here is on good glass company : Safe Tech Auto Glass : https://safetechautoglass.com/company/ great in Houston, TX area. (recommended)

Satellite Auto Glass: https://www.safelite.com/ps-repair-r...e&gclsrc=3p.ds
does a lot of advertising, but insurance really doesn't cover them and they are very expensive. (NOT RECOMMENDED)

Getting windshield glass directly from Lexus apparently is a problem, sorry can't help with Lexus.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Next no stupid questions. Why did I not buy a hybrid a long time ago?
The following 2 users liked this post by Sounds:
bt10 (06-26-24), Rogert (06-26-24)
Old 06-26-24, 08:11 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Dont know the value of the post or topic, but one would assume most normal folks who post here are not gonna post snide comments, however they can be found on some threads ( Ive seen a few myself.... ; ) ...in that case, notify the moderator to delete the post..... its been used before , and effectively. So, in general , evaluate your post before saving it . Thread starter , dont you agree? .
Old 06-26-24, 08:46 PM
NX450Guy
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Is AAA and Lexus Concierge The Same

Seems like Lexus just sources AAA roadside but makes us believe it is an exclusive service. I’ve found the dispatch have no understanding of Lexus vehicles. Anyone else notice this?
The following users liked this post:
Sallywelsh (06-27-24)
Old 06-26-24, 08:53 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
Dont know the value of the post or topic, but one would assume most normal folks who post here are not gonna post snide comments, however they can be found on some threads ( Ive seen a few myself.... ; ) ...in that case, notify the moderator to delete the post..... its been used before , and effectively. So, in general , evaluate your post before saving it . Thread starter , dont you agree? .
Ah, Mr. @Lexicon1 , I have participated in many auto forums over the years and typically there is a permanently flagged thread that let's new users to forum, or new users to a car model, in this case NX , or just newbies period, ask any question and get a positive answer. It also includes users of different discipline backgrounds that don't understand the scientific and engineering background behind some of the car's features.

The are also a whole lot of people that have trouble reading the Lexus manual or at least searching through it.

It is also somewhat difficult to trapse through all of the threads in this forum to find specific answers.; the search tools on this forum are adequate, but not great.

So the purpose of this thread is not necessarily to address snide remarks which are rare and as you say administrator handled, but to facilitate the transfer of information quickly to those that are requesting it. The idea is to better level-set information transfer so that a person can ask a question in their specific level of understanding and get a full, quick answer both in their level of understanding and also more detail manual/responder experience explanation should they desire.

Peace and goodwill from the thread starter , also known as the OP.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Old 06-26-24, 08:55 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by NX450Guy
Seems like Lexus just sources AAA roadside but makes us believe it is an exclusive service. I’ve found the dispatch have no understanding of Lexus vehicles. Anyone else notice this?
Just my personal opinion, But I have found AAA to be much better at least where I live.

YMMV,
MidCow3
NX450Guy (06-26-24)
Old 06-26-24, 09:37 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Sounds
Next no stupid questions. Why did I not buy a hybrid a long time ago?
Because the first hybrids that got good mileage sucked in performance. Now you can get performance ( relatively good) in a smallish SUV. NX is a great compromiser.
And the new gen5 Priuses ( 2023 and newer) are awesome in mpg and performance.

I now own 4 hybrids (No EVs or PHEVs) and one hot rod. Life is good.

YMMV,
MidCow3
bt10 (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 01:57 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Is there a way to operate a hybrid on gas only and bypass the battery?
Old 06-27-24, 02:01 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Just my personal opinion, But I have found AAA to be much better at least where I live.

YMMV,
MidCow3

It definitely depends on where you live. I had a blow out and called AAA and they never showed up. I had a Cadillac at the time and called them and they showed up in 45 minutes.
Old 06-27-24, 03:13 PM
gallico916
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did some research and decided with the Good Sam
Old 06-27-24, 03:42 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Is there a way to operate a hybrid on gas only and bypass the battery?
The problem is not the traction battery ( the one that powers the electric car motors) . The problem is the 12 volt battery that powers everything a normal ICE only 12 volt battery does: lights, audio, windows, electronics, doors, door locks, etc. There are two issues with the 12 volt battery in the NX hybrids: (1) there is a lot of parasite power draw that can completely deplete the battery (e.g. if you put on ACC and listen to the radio a couple of hours you might cause a dead battery (2) Lexus has a programming error that they do not want to address or fix. when the 12 volt battery starts to go low on charge and there is sufficient capacity left on the traction battery , the traction battery is supposed to charge the 12 volt battery; this doesn't always happen as it is supposed to.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 06-27-24, 09:36 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Default Hybrid EV mode

Please explain when and why to use.

Ours is 3 weeks old. Just took a 180m trip from
PA-Va. Penna Turnpike to 15S to Leesburg. Very impressed with performance/ride.
Old 06-28-24, 04:26 AM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

YMMV,
MidCow3
Originally Posted by rogerh00
It definitely depends on where you live. I had a blow out and called AAA and they never showed up. I had a Cadillac at the time and called them and they showed up in 45 minutes.
@rogerh00 you answer makes more sense, AAA subcontract to towing companies in my area; some are bad, but most are very good.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Quick Reply: Ask any question , nothing is stupid