LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need some opinions on this used 2005 LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-24, 12:14 AM
jphn
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some opinions on this used 2005 LS 430

Im looking to purchase a LS 430, Im not a car person and I really don't know much about cars, so I wanted some insight on what I would be getting myself into. The one I found online is through a used car dealership rather than private party or like an big established chain(?)/company.

Im kind of fixated on the Briarwood Pearl color as well, and this was the first one I was able to find. Everything seemingly stock, which what I was looking for. (Lol I like the grandpa vibe).

I guess what Im basically asking is if you guys mind skimming through the links below and checking if there are any red flags that catches your attention?

Link to the Dealership Site

Link to the CarFax

The immediate concerns I have are
  • The car has had 4 previous owners, one which was a personal lease.
  • The car has about 90k miles on it with no timing belt change...
    • CarFax said it was last reported in 2016 with 90,861 before it was sold, while the link to the dealership site has 90,789...
    • Apparently they should be changed every 9/10 years or 90k miles, so basically its been due for a timing belt change since 2015/2016...
    • How detrimental is that? Does that imply every time it is being driven, it may be causing damage to engine? How likely has the engine is already "compromised" (Again really don't know cars very well)?
    • Is this safe for a test drive on the freeway and all?
  • The car was in Florida from 2006-2011 (Is this of any concern? Like rust due to the humidity there?)
  • It is listed through a used car dealership, I dont have any experience with these, are there any negative stigma associated with them?
  • There are good amount of some shady reviews left on Yelp. Should I avoid purchasing the car all together because of that?
  • I emailed the dealership, and they mentioned they are open to having it checked out by Lexus of Westminster.
    • Anyone familiar with their service department?
    • Never got a PPI before, are there different levels of inspection when these are done? Basically want a super thorough inspection so I know how much I will be spending to get it running comfortably and reliably.
    • I understand this is almost a 20 year old car, and there are probably some underlying problems, what do you guys expect needs to be done right off the bat. Anything else I should tell the service department, or can I blindly trust that they'll perform a super thorough detailed inspection?
    • I basically gotta drive it back up to Bay Area, so hopefully I can get the work done immediately after purchasing it.

Again not much of a car guy, not sure what to expect, just hoping you guys can give me the run down and point out any red flags.

Appreciate your time and any insights/feedback/responses.

EDIT: Seems like there was some minor damage that wasnt reported on CarFax, but on AutoCheck.com.
Thanks to @pmesfun for pointing out the minor damage to the left rear panel, and how the trunk isnt sitting flush.
  • When it comes down to it, are these just uh aesthetic issues? Could this potentially allow water leak?
  • I also think I heard the trunk host some electronics or something?

Last edited by jphn; 06-27-24 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Update with more information
Old 06-27-24, 01:22 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts

If you buy it the first thing you need to do is get the timing belt changed.
I have only ever heard of 2 snapping but when they do, it totals the engine.
That said, it would probably be OK to drive the 400 miles home and get it done there if necessary.

I would ask for photos of the underside highlighting any rust. If there is none visible, then she is probably a good car.
Can't comment on US used car dealers. This side of the Pond, they are a mixed bag, mostly good, some bad, and some criminal.
If you can't go there and test drive and check it yourself (take a friend if you are not car savvy), then either get an independent PPI (do not accept that the dealer chooses who will do the PPI) or else get their local Lexus dealer to do it.

At that mileage I wouldn't expect many issues but the fact that the timing belt has not been done screams of neglect by one or more owners.
I believe that you can get service records from Lexus that should show if the belt has been done and when.
The following users liked this post:
jphn (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 06:40 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

I had one from 2013 to 2021, 72,000 miles to 163,000 and it was the BEST car I have ever had.
in 2013 it was $18,000 and I had to finance it but it was wonderful
I would not worry driving that car across the country. at that milage the shocks might begin to leak front first, I still had one original shock at 125,000 miles.
totaled by teenage driver on cell phone or I might still have it.
Took 2 years to find a replacement but again it was worth it.
jphn (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 07:54 PM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

that's a good looking car, but here on the east coast that car should be 12-13 k max. so maybe you can negotiate a bit because of the timing belt
jphn (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 09:53 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

I would pass on that car. The left rear quarter panel looks wavy and the left side of the trunk lid doesn't sit flush with the left rear quarter.
jphn (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 11:02 PM
jphn
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmesfun
I would pass on that car. The left rear quarter panel looks wavy and the left side of the trunk lid doesn't sit flush with the left rear quarter.
Damn good eye, really appreciate you taking a detailed look into everything.
I updated my initial post, and it seems like there damage reported that CarFax did not catch. And as a result one of the previous owners had to get the body and glass repaired.

Just curious in your opinion, are these imperfections a dealbreaker because of aesthetics, or could this be detrimental and cause some underlying issues down the line?

Again sorry not familiar with cars, like water leaking into the trunk or into the body and causing rust? Think I heard like the back or trunk host some electronics as well?

Last edited by jphn; 06-27-24 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Added quote
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

It could just be the trunk hinge being bent on that side. You could pull the carpet and left side trim on in the trunk to check for damage to the inside of the quarter and water leaks.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts

This car is apparently not in excellent condition. For it to be that all maintenance also has to be done and that is not only miles but time. Also don't forget this is an old car. My 2001 UL runs fine and has 186k miles with no transmission or engine problems and still gets 25 on hwy but being an old car I know anything can happen. I did update the antiquated nav system which makes it more enjoyable to drive having a 9 inch google maps screen.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

dang. good eye on the trunk, it may have been in an accident at some point
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

This one looks pretty decent to me
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/c...757819360.html
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LatinLS430
This one needs a timing belt too, was last done 9 years ago. Looks like a clean car though and UL (without PCS) so potentially some expensive air struts to replace or convert.
Old Today, 04:44 PM
slightreturn
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't see anything wrong with the LR quarter panel ... I think it's just a normal reflection.

But I do agree that the trunk lid is out of whack. That must have been where the accident was. On an undamaged LS430, those taillights will line up perfectly (and I mean _perfectly_).

No idea whether that is an easy fix. I must say, it's pretty hard to find one with this mileage, and that's a very nice color. The tan interior looks way to Grandpa-ish to my eye, but that's just me.

I would say that the asking price is pretty fair. Maybe you can get it down a bit.

Originally Posted by pmesfun