Cleaning carbon deposits without removing head

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-24, 10:02 AM
Gone4broke
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cleaning carbon deposits without removing head

https://youtu.be/_TEbyCEyvbk?si=_vHszaJPJUxemv-E

Has anyone tried this method to clean carbon deposits??

It seems too good to be true so just waiting for someone to comment and tell me why this won't work on our cars.

Old 06-27-24, 10:28 AM
Gone4broke
Driver School Candidate

Also, has anyone tried walnut blasting the valves? There's a $35 walnut blaster at harbor freight and my intake system is all apart in my garage right now so if I can clean the valves for 35 bucks and some walnut media ?
The following users liked this post:
firestart9 (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 05:51 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Someone answer this dude!
Gone4broke (06-28-24)
Old 06-28-24, 08:36 AM
Gone4broke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by firestart9
Someone answer this dude!
​​​​​​

I asked my buddy who was a Toyota tech and he told me "you're going to blow your engine up."

But since this is a second "fun vehicle" and I already had everything apart I went ahead and started it.

What I will say is the zip tie drill is not enough by itself, I bent an aluminum tent stake at the end and have been using that to loosen carbon deposits along with crc valve cleaner.

My method is to find out which two cylinders are TDC, spray crc valve cleaner, let it soak for 15-20 min.

Use the stake to scrape and loosen as much as I can. Repeat this process using the drill and zip ties.

Also be sure to vacuum out the ports each time you're done scraping, I just duct taped a small diameter hose into my shop vac and that plus shop air im able to get everything out of each port so it won't fall into the cylinder upon starting.

I'm going to finish today as the last two sets of valves have been soaking overnight.

When I try to start her up tomorrow I'll report back whether my buddy was right or not 😂

If anyone could chime in on walnut blasting that could potentially be way faster than what I'm doing.
firestart9 (06-28-24)
Old 06-28-24, 06:04 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Carbon in general is baked on and very stubborn to remove. Given the head is aluminum and it scratches easily one wants to limit things that gouge it, only because it makes the next round of stickage happen a little quicker. Is a zip tie softer, sure. Does it work in all cases, I doubt it. Personally I would try to avoid chemical softners as many cases will have it leaking past the valve and taking the thin film of oil from the cylinder.
I'd opt for walnuts but that requires a compressor capable of some volume of air and not everyone has this.

GL OP
Old 06-28-24, 08:21 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

What does spraying CRC intake cleaner do tho? Is that safe?
Old 06-29-24, 10:06 AM
Gone4broke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by firestart9
What does spraying CRC intake cleaner do tho? Is that safe?
​​​​​​
It's basically a really strong solvent for carbon buildup. I don't think any has leaked into my cylinders because I soaked them for a good while and none of them lost and fluid before vacuuming it out. I'll change the oil after I finish cleaning them anyway but they really needed to get done.

My gaskets get here today so I should have everything put back together tonight or early tomorrow morning so I'll report back how it goes. I did do a seafoam treatment through the intake before I started all this and I got the smoke show but judging by the valves it really didn't do too much. As the other guy said the carbon is pretty baked on.
Old 06-29-24, 11:44 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Gone4broke
​​​​​​
It's basically a really strong solvent for carbon buildup. I don't think any has leaked into my cylinders because I soaked them for a good while and none of them lost and fluid before vacuuming it out. I'll change the oil after I finish cleaning them anyway but they really needed to get done.

My gaskets get here today so I should have everything put back together tonight or early tomorrow morning so I'll report back how it goes. I did do a seafoam treatment through the intake before I started all this and I got the smoke show but judging by the valves it really didn't do too much. As the other guy said the carbon is pretty baked on.
Glad you clarified the CRC was still in there and didn't leak past the valve. Of course another aspect of filling an intake runner with solvent is the loss of oil on the valve stem and guide, and subsequent added wear until oil is restored.

PS for others using CRC or other products, most of these are flammable! Use a large volume syringe to remove the spent liquid. It's much safer than sucking it up with a vacuum cleaner and risk of explosion.
Old 06-29-24, 04:10 PM
Gone4broke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Glad you clarified the CRC was still in there and didn't leak past the valve. Of course another aspect of filling an intake runner with solvent is the loss of oil on the valve stem and guide, and subsequent added wear until oil is restored.

PS for others using CRC or other products, most of these are flammable! Use a large volume syringe to remove the spent liquid. It's much safer than sucking it up with a vacuum cleaner and risk of explosion.

Would it be a good idea to wipe a little bit of oil on the valve stems before reassembly? My plan is to fire it up drive it around until the smoke clears out and then change the oil.
Old 06-30-24, 09:36 PM
Gone4broke
Driver School Candidate

Update: I did not blow up my engine, suck it Scotty. Hard to give an honest review though because I also installed an oil catch can and blocked off the breather hose that goes to the air tube. In doing so my engine ran super lean and was throwing codes left and right, I fixed those things though and the codes went away and my fuel trims returned to normal, I'll test drive it tomorrow when my longer hose comes in so I can mount the catch can.
Old 07-09-24, 01:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

It's way easier just to use water. Get the engine up to temperature, pull off the EVAP hose, hook up a quart (or more) of water in a container through a small rubber tube, run the engine at 2k rpm, and let the water flow. It won't hydrolock, and it will do an amazing job of removing carbon from the valves, ports, and piston crowns. I've been doing this for years before I rebuild an engine to save a whole lot of cleaning time.
jgscott (07-09-24)
Old 07-09-24, 10:25 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Yep it's, sometime called Steam cleaning.
lobuxracer (07-09-24)
Old 07-10-24, 09:54 AM
Gone4broke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's way easier just to use water. Get the engine up to temperature, pull off the EVAP hose, hook up a quart (or more) of water in a container through a small rubber tube, run the engine at 2k rpm, and let the water flow. It won't hydrolock, and it will do an amazing job of removing carbon from the valves, ports, and piston crowns. I've been doing this for years before I rebuild an engine to save a whole lot of cleaning time.
Is this basically the same as doing a seafoam treatment through the intake?

What makes water work better than a hydrocarbon based product like seafoam?
Old 07-10-24, 09:56 AM
Gone4broke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Yep it's, sometime called Steam cleaning.
My only question is how hot does that water really get before it gets to the valves? Wouldn't the majority of the heat be inside the cylinder? I know the piston face will get cleaned real nice but how does it work on the carbon that's outside the cylinder on the valves?
Old 07-10-24, 02:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

You're missing the concept. The water doesn't get hot, it's cold, and it thermally shocks the carbon so it falls off the hot metal.

No, Seafoam is nothing like this because water has a very high heat of vaporization. No VOC even comes close to water for absorbing heat. Water isn't dissolving anything here, it's just providing a thermal hammer.

Quick Reply: Cleaning carbon deposits without removing head