SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Suspension Revisited SC430

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-24, 09:15 AM
TN430
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Suspension Revisited SC430

I've read numerous posts about updating suspension, but most of the information is several years old or pertains to lowering the stance or performance minded changes.
I would like to attain some up-to-date information. I'm not so much interested in increasing performance as mainly I want a ride that isn't harsh over sharp edged bumps. My mechanic examined my suspension and found nothing concerning. I wonder if new shocks will be much of an improvement.
I have an 06 SC430 with 140K miles.
1, What front and rear shocks (struts) are available in '24 that maintains the standard height of the vehicle?
2. Which brand did you recently go with and how happy are you with the results?
3. Can a coil over package provide for a comfortable ride?
Old 07-02-24, 02:56 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by TN430
I've read numerous posts about updating suspension, but most of the information is several years old or pertains to lowering the stance or performance minded changes.
I would like to attain some up-to-date information. I'm not so much interested in increasing performance as mainly I want a ride that isn't harsh over sharp edged bumps. My mechanic examined my suspension and found nothing concerning. I wonder if new shocks will be much of an improvement.
1, What front and rear shocks (struts) are available in '24 that maintains the standard height of the vehicle?
you just missed a FANTASTIC deal on OEM shocks etc from Megazip…here is the thread with part numbers etc.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...azip-sale.html
Old 07-02-24, 08:13 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by TN430
you are correct. Too much high speed compression dampening. Too little low speed. Blows through the travel on driveways.

Springs are too long. Car leans on corners.

MeisterR CRD’s coilovers on full soft and full height extension dropped the car around 3/4’ and was not noticeable. Fixed the dampening and body roll. Full soft reminds me of a nice beemers ride. Which is good. Reduced body roll. Can take sharp tight curves agressively now.
The following users liked this post:
doobs (07-03-24)
Old 07-03-24, 07:23 AM
Rahtc
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced mine with KYB on the front, Gabriel on the rear. What a difference, at 173,000 there was no rebound and compression was 1 finger! I couldn’t find coilovers that kept stock height, at 6’3” the car is already a climb to get out😀. I’m also old enough I wanted the soft Lexus ride….. I also replaced the front upper control arms and front lower rear arms, the combination makes it ride better than my Avalon and way cooler looking.
dan25man (07-03-24)
Old 07-08-24, 05:30 PM
TN430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rahtc
I replaced mine with KYB on the front, Gabriel on the rear. What a difference, at 173,000 there was no rebound and compression was 1 finger! I couldn’t find coilovers that kept stock height, at 6’3” the car is already a climb to get out😀. I’m also old enough I wanted the soft Lexus ride….. I also replaced the front upper control arms and front lower rear arms, the combination makes it ride better than my Avalon and way cooler looking.
I'm glad this set up worked for you. This is what I was contemplating doing. My control arms look good at 140K , so I may just start with the shocks and replace control arms if I don't get the Lexus ride. Thanks much.
Old 07-08-24, 05:43 PM
TN430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
you just missed a FANTASTIC deal on OEM shocks etc from Megazip…here is the thread with part numbers etc.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...azip-sale.html
Too much pool time, not enough computer forum time. Apparently it is not a reoccurring event,
Old 07-08-24, 05:47 PM
TN430
Driver School Candidate

Is there a general consensus on whether OEM or the KYB and Gabriel mix is best. I was under the impression that the OEM is KYB, correct? Is it only that the rear KYB is hard to come by ?
Also, would it make sense to buy additional parts that surround (so to speak) the shock?
Old 07-09-24, 08:29 AM
Rahtc
Rookie

Gabriel was the only rear shock/strut I could find without going Lexus parts. When I took off the fronts they had Lexus part#, but KYB stamp also. I debated replacing springs but they were expensive and 4-5 weeks out (Japan), I just replaced the rubber bits and top gasket along with new bolts. Glad I did as all the rubber parts were torn/crushed, bolts were galled. Fortunately no rust! I bought all the bits from Megazip, much cheaper than Lexus.
TN430 (07-09-24)
Old 07-11-24, 08:28 AM
TN430
Driver School Candidate

FYI Was about to go the Meister route. Website said they were out of stock, so I emailed them and got this response:

We have discontinued the ZetaCRD for the this car model. However we will be replacing it with a new coilover model ZetaSport very soon, which will sit slightly above the ZetaCRD. It will offer improved performance in both handling as well as road compliance. The price has not been confirmed but it will be increased over the current ZetaCRD.

It looks like the only choices now are KYB, Gabriels and OEM (although it appears that the OEM are KYB brand).
Old 07-12-24, 04:09 AM
Exopthalmos
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi. I recently replaced my front control arms and next are my rear shocks as passenger side is just starting to weep fluid. I will eventually being redoing front struts and lower control arms up front. Wanted to do it all at once, but I was up against a state inspection expiration so I fixed just what I had to so I would pass.

My findings so far on Lexus SC430 work. ONLY struts I can get are Lexus exclusive. Suspension arms, ball joints, bushings etc etc are available aftermarket but the quality of said parts is all over the board as far as my internet search showed.. I priced out Lexus suspension bits, but Good God Man are those expensive(even at Bell Lexus eBay store).

I would much rather put OEM parts on a car like this, but the costs are prohibitive. I ended up with mevotech supreme brand and am hopeful they will last. My solace in not buying the lexus UCA's is the OEM ones failed on a 2008 with 80,000 miles and garage kept. And after all my deep diving into Lexus suspension repair I have found this to be a frequent issue(just my opinion). So seeing as how the Lexus OEM parts fail earlier then I think they should I went with aftermarket.

The strut situation was annoying. I have the new rear struts in the garage, but I still have to order all the bumpstops and other parts the service bulletin states they change at factory. As this is my wife's car and she loves the stock ride, I immediately ruled out coil overs, as they always sacrifice ride for enhanced handling(there is no free lunch). If it was my personal car I would swap out to good coil over set and slap them in and drop the car an inch. But I am not sure if a good coil over (Ohlins would be my choice) is made for the sc430 car anyway.
Wilson2000 (07-17-24)
Old 07-12-24, 09:35 PM
vinnyvavoom
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a 2002 last month that turned 86K. I am getting the full KYB setup as the shocks need replacement. They should be on end of next week. I will report back, no idea what to expect since the car is so new to me. Note I did replace the 13 year old Continental tires and replaced them with BridgeStone Drive Gaurd Plus Run Flats. I feel little difference in ride.
Old 07-17-24, 04:11 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

I took an 800 mile round trip in my 2008 SC with 68K miles. For the first time, I noticed a lot of wandering on the long, straight stretches. I researched the possible problems/fixes and inspected the car this morning from underneath. Usually, owners report control arm bushing issues causing this, but mine seem fine, as do my tie-rod ends. What looks worn is my ball joints. The dust boots are all torn and the grease inside them has oozed out. This is odd because the car has been garage kept, and not driven in rain or snow. Too, in all my years of driving Toyota/Lexus vehicles, many with much more miles, none have needed ball joints! Why does a flagship model need them at 68K? Granted, it's now 16-years-old, but it's had an easy life!

I looked up the ball joint parts costs on Bell Lexus and see I'm in a heap of trouble! It looks like the upper ball joints are only sold with the upper control arm assembly, which includes the two bushings, which is good, but they cost $400 ea! The bottom ball joint is more reasonable at about $115 ea.

Question: First, anyone experience wandering due to worn ball joints? Has anyone replaced their ball joints in an SC, and if so, is it a reasonably straight forward DIY job? Anybody using aftermarket front, upper control arms, or lower ball joints? Would it make sense to replace any other suspension parts while replacing the ball joints. If I took it to an indy shop with a press, would they be able to replace the ball joints and control arm bushings, without buying the OEM upper control arms from Lexus? Any other advice? I'll be reading through the shop manuals to see what steps are involved and if any special tools are required.
Old 07-17-24, 04:47 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I took an 800 mile round trip in my 2008 SC with 68K miles. For the first time, I noticed a lot of wandering on the long, straight stretches. I researched the possible problems/fixes and inspected the car this morning from underneath. Usually, owners report control arm bushing issues causing this, but mine seem fine, as do my tie-rod ends. What looks worn is my ball joints. The dust boots are all torn and the grease inside them has oozed out. This is odd because the car has been garage kept, and not driven in rain or snow. Too, in all my years of driving Toyota/Lexus vehicles, many with much more miles, none have needed ball joints! Why does a flagship model need them at 68K? Granted, it's now 16-years-old, but it's had an easy life!

I looked up the ball joint parts costs on Bell Lexus and see I'm in a heap of trouble! It looks like the upper ball joints are only sold with the upper control arm assembly, which includes the two bushings, which is good, but they cost $400 ea! The bottom ball joint is more reasonable at about $115 ea.

Question: First, anyone experience wandering due to worn ball joints? Has anyone replaced their ball joints in an SC, and if so, is it a reasonably straight forward DIY job? Anybody using aftermarket front, upper control arms, or lower ball joints? Would it make sense to replace any other suspension parts while replacing the ball joints. If I took it to an indy shop with a press, would they be able to replace the ball joints and control arm bushings, without buying the OEM upper control arms from Lexus? Any other advice? I'll be reading through the shop manuals to see what steps are involved and if any special tools are required.
I would start a new post on this..You will get a lot more replies
Wilson2000 (07-17-24)
Old 07-18-24, 03:35 AM
Rahtc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wilson2000

I did my upper arms and what a difference, tight crisp steering again. I got mine from Megazip, they happened to be having one of their sales last winter. Much cheaper than dealer, $250 each, Genuine Lexus parts. If I remember correctly, about 3 hours to replace but also did struts at the same time. I know 2 people that have tried pressing in new bushings, both ended up with bent arms and had to replace them.
Wilson2000 (07-18-24)