ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need info on full front strut assembly options for 1996 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-24, 11:23 AM
96es300inneedofparts
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on full front strut assembly options for 1996 ES300

Hey guys,

I am finally dipping my toes in the Lexus world. Got an old 1996 ES 300. It's in incredible condition it just needs new front struts and there seem to be no new full assembly options. Only rears. I can find a couple options completestruts.com which says fit my car but I wanted to get with the pros 1st so I joined this forum. I am looking for an OE style complete assembly that would work for this car. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-02-24, 11:38 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,841 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by 96es300inneedofparts
I am looking for an OE style complete assembly that would work for this car. Any help is greatly appreciated.
For the fronts don't think this exists. Find a shop to assemble a new assembly for you using your springs and any other parts that are still good. Complete assemblies for the rear is readily available since this is used on many Toyota/Lexus models.
Old 07-02-24, 11:56 AM
96es300inneedofparts
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any spring replacement options?
Old 07-02-24, 12:05 PM
BlakeFL
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple options on Rock Auto:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...il+spring,7512
Old 07-02-24, 03:34 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by BlakeFL
Handy link he gave you. Among those options, I’d go with the Lesjofors. They’re Swedish and widely used on Volvos and BMWs w/success. Definitely price competitive.

Among shocks, recommend a little extra for the KYB (they are the OEM). They last and perform well. If you are keeping the car any length of time or care about it, go w/them. I just bought (like 20 minutes ago) KYB struts for a GS350. There were cheaper (much) options, but I know from experience cheaper ones do not last or usually perform well. Be aware you may need a front end alignment to preserve the tires. If you plan on new tires soon, you can do the work and note the relative edge wear inside and out. If it doesn’t change, you are good and can skip the alignment.
Old 07-04-24, 02:05 PM
bc1_2002
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I have a 96 ES300 in fine condition with about 141k miles which my wife bought in 98 with about 40k miles. I'd be happy to help you with your 96 ES300 since I do all the work myself except body engine/ tranny rebuild. I'm in Texas so we don't have rust issues, here.

First, can you do the work yourself?

I think KYB is the best choice, and I would avoid buying a complete strut. I replaced my ES300 struts with probably the last set of Bilstein's on earth.

Some observations.
1. the springs rarely wear out. I've never replaced my springs on any of my cars (6) that includes RWD Volvos, except one time, which I probably didn't need to do.
2. I think buying a complete or quick strut will result in a shorter life-span and usually have a lower quality.
3. I haven't had any problems with the bearings. I just add lithium grease to the bearing before I reinstall it. If you are not sure about replacing the bearing, take pictures and ask.
4. You have some aftermarket options when buying the bumper, strut rod cover.
5. Be sure to use a website that shows exploded views of the parts, such as Amayama or this one, https://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/...ol-engine-fuel so you can see what parts you may need to purchase.
6. KYB are reliable replacements.
7. When purchasing, I've used RockAuto, but not any more. I received missing strut nuts, NOS strut, one strut damaged from FedEx shipping. Worst, they made me pay the shipping return cost, although it was $8 or $9, but still, it wasn't my fault.
8. Now, I use Amazon, and believably, I bought one of my 98 Camry's right front strut from Walmart. All came in good condition.
9. Proper tools will help make your job more safe.
10. Buy a manual, Haynes or anything else.

I replaced my 96 ES300 struts last year. This year, I replaced the high pressure and low pressure power steering hoses.

Be ready to replace a lot of stuff, such as vacuum hoses, etc, but over time. I have not had any issues with engine mounts, exhaust, the engine directly, and only had to replace a couple of solenoids inside the transmission valve body.

These cars has a tendency with sludge, but as long you replace the oil and filter at regular intervals, you'll do fine, but assuming it had been regularly serviced before.

Another issue is spare parts, some of which are no longer available (NLA), such as interior plastic parts. Particular to this car year and earlier, the cooling fan motor is driven by the power steering pump. Try to find a yard to get a spare, just in case. Find a good-condition 96-94 ES300 from which to pull some parts. Also, do you have repair records? Knowing what was done to the car will help, considerably. Start writing down in a notebook, date and mileage, what issues you're having and what work you performed. You'll be expanding your toolkit and purchasing special tools.

To note, I haven't had any issues with the ECU. Anyway, there's more information I can provide some time later. The dash needles tend to go out. To avoid this fate, I dialed the dash brightness down.

Feel free to contact me. By the way, I have a very good condition rear seat set. I pulled them, but I since re-upholstered the interior with Toyota upholstery from an auto upholstery warehouse that have legacy Toyota upholstery. I chose cloth, lasts longer, cooler than leather. I can help you with this issue since I've only seen one or two 96 or earlier interiors without torn leather seats.

Again, feel free to contact me directly, but you have a lot of experience on this forum that can help, considerably, before you start purchasing parts and repairing your ES300.

My car is where it's running great. Few years back, I did repaint it the original two-tone, reupholstered the complete interior, and bought mostly Toyota/Lexus parts to keep it original the best I could (better quality).

Byron