LC Model (2018-present)

Armytrix Exhaust in CA

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-24, 07:47 PM
jsleerf
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Armytrix Exhaust in CA

Hi, another question... I just found out that there is strict CA state law for exhaust sound. It requires less than 95dB from 20" away at 3000-5000rpm in neutral. If I install Armytrix exhaust, I don't think it passes CA state law... Is there anybody who installs Armytrix exhaust and does not have any issue for CA state law? Its fine is $1,000 per ticket.... Thank you for your help and advice.
Old 07-03-24, 08:51 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,342 Posts

You''ll have a much bigger problem in California than noise This exhaust removes the secondary catalytic converters. Even though the car will pass the sniffer, this is a modification to the vehicle's emission control system, which is illegal in California. During the emissions testing, the tester should do a visual inspection. You would fail the visual, unless you know someone.

I lived in Santa Barbara for 27 years. I am now in Arizona and I have PPE headers along with the PPE Dual Mode exhaust. My system includes a set of GESi catalytic converters.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...st-system.html

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
Meraki Autoworks (07-04-24), StuM (07-06-24)
Old 07-03-24, 09:22 PM
jsleerf
7th Gear

Thank you for your reply. I have checked Armytrix and they said it is totally legal in CA... maybe they hide something....
Old 07-04-24, 06:16 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jsleerf
Hi, another question... I just found out that there is strict CA state law for exhaust sound. It requires less than 95dB from 20" away at 3000-5000rpm in neutral. If I install Armytrix exhaust, I don't think it passes CA state law... Is there anybody who installs Armytrix exhaust and does not have any issue for CA state law? Its fine is $1,000 per ticket.... Thank you for your help and advice.
obviously it isnt applied to Harleys....
Old 07-04-24, 08:25 AM
cwest13
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Unless it’s CARB certified, they are telling you bad info, which is a very suspect practice. I see nothing saying it’s CARB certified. Some companies do go through the effort, but it’s rare.

I have run catback exhausts in California with no issue on my old 911. But for anything other than a cat back, you will fail any biannual smog check. That being said, if you have a new LC, you won’t have a smog check for a few years. Plenty of people will return to stock for the check and then go back to their aftermarket system. Not worth the effort to me, personally.

As for the decibel level, that’s only rarely enforced. Just don’t go WOT in front of a trooper

Downside to owning a low volume, niche car is that there are not a lot of aftermarket options. Is there even a catback system available?
The following users liked this post:
StuM (07-06-24)
Old 07-04-24, 08:35 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 305 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by cwest13
Unless it’s CARB certified, they are telling you bad info, which is a very suspect practice. I see nothing saying it’s CARB certified. Some companies do go through the effort, but it’s rare.

I have run catback exhausts in California with no issue on my old 911. But for anything other than a cat back, you will fail any biannual smog check. That being said, if you have a new LC, you won’t have a smog check for a few years. Plenty of people will return to stock for the check and then go back to their aftermarket system. Not worth the effort to me, personally.

As for the decibel level, that’s only rarely enforced. Just don’t go WOT in front of a trooper

Downside to owning a low volume, niche car is that there are not a lot of aftermarket options. Is there even a catback system available?
I think toms racing has a partial system either cat back or axle back I don't remember but it's like almost the same cost as some of the full systems
Old 07-04-24, 09:25 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

If you want no issues that don't deal with SMOG. We would recommend doing Tom's axle back, it doesn't touch the secondary cats. Armytrix does.

We're in California so we do this a lot.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
StuM (07-06-24)
Old 07-04-24, 09:47 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
If you want no issues that don't deal with SMOG. We would recommend doing Tom's axle back, it doesn't touch the secondary cats. Armytrix does.

We're in California so we do this a lot.

-Josh
good advice in CA....they even smog check my 05 Ram Cummins diesel,,, $$$ grab.
Old 07-04-24, 04:30 PM
jsleerf
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Barncobob
good advice in CA....they even smog check my 05 Ram Cummins diesel,,, $$$ grab.
This is what I got from Armytrix.....

Hello Lee,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

As long as we just do a catback you will be fine. You will pass emissions and with the valves you wouldn't be bothered. 95 decibels is the California law, I do not have the decibel reading for this exhaust.

Probably around 60-70 with valves closed 90 with valves open at wide open throttle.

My track day noise decibel limits is 96 decibels at 100 ft. My car sits around 94 decibels at wide open throttle.

Then you run into the technical law that any modification is illegal in California.

The Armytrix is not Carb Legal, but due to it being a catback its not a thing to have a carb legal catback.
Old 07-04-24, 05:24 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

sounds like the"taillight " guarantee to me.
Old 07-04-24, 06:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jsleerf
This is what I got from Armytrix.....

Hello Lee,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

As long as we just do a catback you will be fine. You will pass emissions and with the valves you wouldn't be bothered. 95 decibels is the California law, I do not have the decibel reading for this exhaust.

Probably around 60-70 with valves closed 90 with valves open at wide open throttle.

My track day noise decibel limits is 96 decibels at 100 ft. My car sits around 94 decibels at wide open throttle.

Then you run into the technical law that any modification is illegal in California.

The Armytrix is not Carb Legal, but due to it being a catback its not a thing to have a carb legal catback.
One word for this response:

Lou
Old 07-04-24, 10:57 PM
cwest13
Driver

I take back what I said about CARB, I do see they sell a catback valved system.

if you’re willing to take some, but in my opinion and experience, minor, risk, you will be fine.
Old 07-05-24, 01:48 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Yep, they sell a cutback system - Catback from the primary set of catalytic converters. As I posted above, the secondary set is removed, thereby making is illegal. He will definitely not be fine.

Lou
Old 07-05-24, 03:23 PM
Metal1
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

You have almost 6 freaking years before you have to be concerned about passing an inspection in Calif on a new car.

I suggest you unplug the valve control and run that for awhile.

Old 07-05-24, 09:13 PM
cwest13
Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Yep, they sell a cutback system - Catback from the primary set of catalytic converters. As I posted above, the secondary set is removed, thereby making is illegal. He will definitely not be fine.

Lou
Dang, you’re right Lou. I don’t think you can say catback if cats are affected, even secondary. Pretty scummy.