LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Audio, Nav, HVAC issues after android radio attempt.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-24, 07:58 AM
WillRose82
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio, Nav, HVAC issues after android radio attempt.

I tried to install a Chinese android head unit. I bought the most expensive one that was supposed to be plug and play and definitely controlled the HVAC system plus retained the cd changer. 30 day return if it didn't work out.
After installing the unit, an aftermarket antenna adapter, and splicing in the can bus to the Y adapter it was far from working properly. No audio, no HVAC, and no cd function. After immense frustration I gave up on the endeavor and will live with outdated tech.
I reinstalled all the original equipment but now my old equipment is no longer functioning either. Yikes no HVAC in the summer.
I have a 2001 with Mark Levinson Navigation. Now it says audio off, check connection to the air conditioner, and no navigation. I have pulled the battery terminal many times, even overnight. I tested and or replaced all fuses. I checked voltage at both sides of every fuse in the car. I tested power and grounds to the nav screen and radio harnesses. The nav screen works but only three options do anything. Climate button makes it say check connection. Audio button makes it say audio off. The clock can be adjusted through the nav but that's it. The vents swing side to side when turning the key on and off.
Any help with this would be appreciated. Is there a security feature I don't understand because I unplugged the radio and nav?
​I have access the a snap on Apollo scan tool and there is no way to pull codes or data from any of these modules. If I try on board HVAC diagnostics by holding the two buttons it does nothing. If I press radio power I hear the cd changer power up. It seems like everything works but nothing communicates with each other.

Last edited by WillRose82; 07-04-24 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Addition information
Old 07-04-24, 01:15 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Mine is 2001 UL and put in Chinese unit and works. Pull the Oem unit back out and look at all plugs and make sure all wires are secure in plug. I suspect the large one going into the cd player which I think is also where the brains are. If you do find loose wire then try the other unit again.
Old 07-04-24, 02:21 PM
WillRose82
8th Gear

Originally Posted by alextv
Mine is 2001 UL and put in Chinese unit and works. Pull the Oem unit back out and look at all plugs and make sure all wires are secure in plug. I suspect the large one going into the cd player which I think is also where the brains are. If you do find loose wire then try the other unit again.
I have double checked everything as far as connections. I still cannot get audio or HVAC from the Chinese unit. I wonder if I got the wrong canbus module. It says Toyota 05 not LS430 high. I've tried a bunch of factory settings for ls430 and crown. The only way the can bus does anything is when set to general, then the steering wheel controls work. I read many times over the tread on here about these android unit. I'm just at my wits end really. With no audio or AC on either setup it's hard to say if it's not my vehicle at this point that is the issue for whatever reason.
Old 07-04-24, 02:32 PM
WillRose82
8th Gear

The audio I can deal with. Great excuse to go and fully aftermarket on the audio. I have a solution to that. It is the HVAC that will really make for an uncomfortable summer. I find it odd that the android radio can control the HVAC with one single wire. I'd just buy a replacement ac amplifier module but with there also being audio and nav issues I am hard pressed to wait two weeks when it's not the issue.
Old 07-04-24, 03:46 PM
alextv
Instructor

Make sure pin on CD assembly is not pushed in. If your android unit is still in the canbus type is very important.
Do you know that? If you don't and they didn't tell you post a picture of it here. But still getting back to the point your oem doesn't work.
What do you mean by one single wire for HVAC. The main Y hooked up with canbus should work. I think you need to get oem back working first then this can work.
Old 07-04-24, 04:14 PM
slightreturn
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know man. Putting a cheapo Chinese head unit into one of the highest-quality cars ever made on Earth, and depending on it to control your HVAC system, seems nuts. "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."

Originally Posted by WillRose82
I tried to install a Chinese android head unit. I bought the most expensive one that was supposed to be plug and play and definitely controlled the HVAC system plus retained the cd changer. 30 day return if it didn't work out.
After installing the unit, an aftermarket antenna adapter, and splicing in the can bus to the Y adapter it was far from working properly. No audio, no HVAC, and no cd function. After immense frustration I gave up on the endeavor and will live with outdated tech.
I reinstalled all the original equipment but now my old equipment is no longer functioning either. Yikes no HVAC in the summer.
I have a 2001 with Mark Levinson Navigation. Now it says audio off, check connection to the air conditioner, and no navigation. I have pulled the battery terminal many times, even overnight. I tested and or replaced all fuses. I checked voltage at both sides of every fuse in the car. I tested power and grounds to the nav screen and radio harnesses. The nav screen works but only three options do anything. Climate button makes it say check connection. Audio button makes it say audio off. The clock can be adjusted through the nav but that's it. The vents swing side to side when turning the key on and off.
Any help with this would be appreciated. Is there a security feature I don't understand because I unplugged the radio and nav?
​I have access the a snap on Apollo scan tool and there is no way to pull codes or data from any of these modules. If I try on board HVAC diagnostics by holding the two buttons it does nothing. If I press radio power I hear the cd changer power up. It seems like everything works but nothing communicates with each other.
The following users liked this post:
JaySco (07-05-24)
Old 07-06-24, 09:16 AM
WillRose82
8th Gear

I have been busy so I still haven't resolved this issue. As far as the one wire I was talking about is in the attached picture. Some say you need it. Some say it won't work plugged. I've tried all options. All my components work they just do not seem to communicate to each other. I have all the diagrams from all data. This was definitely a mistake to mess with. I had one issue of the factory sound intermittently turning the volume to max on start up and some audio crackling. I thought maybe my Bluetooth cigarette socket didn't work well but research is showing it being a known issue with an aging amplifier.
Old 07-06-24, 09:46 AM
alextv
Instructor

Do not hook up that single wire. I think on the 04 and up the harness did use a single wire going to top plug. On my unit that single wire on harness is for steering wheel control. I have nothing connected to any of the top connectors that were on back of nav unit. Is your harness for the 01-03 LS430? Show the connections on back of android unit and canbus. Plug going into canbus has a 2 wire plug that has to plugged into the unit as that is the data communication. On my unit the only connection to car is the Y and rca aux plug so cd player works. Also what unit did you buy. If your canbus type in settings is wrong there will be no communication.

Last edited by alextv; 07-06-24 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-06-24, 03:31 PM
WillRose82
8th Gear

Since my original equipment isn't communicating and the fact that the cd changer has a disk read error, I opted to replace the stereo first. All the communications for the display goes through the radio from what I gathered looking at tons of schematics. The wiring has all tested good plus all the aftermarket stuff was hooked into that. I guess it is a hope for best most affordable option first.
Old 07-07-24, 06:52 AM
alextv
Instructor

Did everything work before you changed unit?
Old 07-08-24, 05:37 PM
WillRose82
8th Gear

Yes everything worked except some minor glitch issues. A few times the audio would turn its self up to max on startup and scare the crap out of you. The bass mid treble settings wouldn't retain when you turned the vehicle off. Usually it just went to flat eq. Sometimes the midrange would be maxed out on its own but the level bar was missing. Pressing down on midrange a lot would bring it back. The fader would not always show both front and back or right and left bars. Adjusting this would correct it. It has a slight crackle at certain frequencies. Last the changer said disk read error. Navigation, audio, and climate control worked when I removed the nav screen and installed the android radio.
Old 07-08-24, 05:42 PM
WillRose82
8th Gear

I have seen a few things about a cold soldier joint in the nav causing similar issues. I found a video that finally showed which components connector has the issue but it was for a LX470. I ordered a used but tested good radio and cd changer. I'll try that and if it doesn't change anything hopefully I at least get a working CD player back that I won't use anyway lol. Then I guess I could try reflowing the soldier joints on the nav if it looks similar to the LX when i get inside it. I feel like I'll still have a crackle in the audio. I was very ignorant to this systems nuances when I started the endeavour which was to get Bluetooth that wasnt FM modulated. I was thinking the crackle was from poor FM transmitter performance but research has shown me that it's common in the amplifiers due to aged capacitors.

Last edited by WillRose82; 07-08-24 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-09-24, 06:39 AM
alextv
Instructor

Ok so changing the unit created the problem. I have not heard of any Y connectors for these units causing oem problems but I can see if something hooked up wrong could but the way these connectors are they only plug in one place. Other I can think of is on oem display unit that connector inside has bad joint from wiggling out connector. For new unit are you sure you are using correct type for canbus? The firmware inside will only work on 1 type. The brains are inside the CD assembly and not sure if unit you bought has to be paired with this car as there are security features. Also make sure connectors are plugged in all the way as are firm fits.
Old 07-13-24, 07:36 AM
WillRose82
8th Gear

Default Problem solved!

When I was unplugging the antenna from radio tuner in the back I accidently backed out this blue connector. Once it was plugged in all functions for HVAC, nav, and radio came back. Oops. Thanks for brainstorming with me guys. This Lexus forum is truly a valuable resource and is appreciated.