IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is350 wont recognize key

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-24, 03:05 PM
SirPucci
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool is350 wont recognize key

Hey Everybody First Time Poster here! heard some amazing thing from this forum so i decided to sign up, anyways around a week ago i was driving my 08 is350 during the dead of the night when all the sudden some of the interior lights were flicking, nav flicking, power steering is sleeping, and the car will not go more then 20kms/h so i pulled over and sure enough the car dies, yay.. so i called up a helper and he came in clutch, boosted the car, yet this time it was the same ordeal, and the car died yet again, decided to boost the car a total of three times (yeah i know bad idea) until we gave up and pushed it to a nearby building where we could park it for the night, barley slept that day and rushed to the car as soon as i could, this time my dad connected some jumper cables and the alarm would go off as soon as the cables were on,but to make things worse the car no longer recognize the key.... we managed to bypass it by turning the lock as soon as the alarms beep we had to resort to the manual key cause unlock lock or panic will not work on the fob, and of course the car cant get started as well since it didn't even sense the key. (dash would say depress the pedal and push to start and of course we did that) would love if anyone in shape or form can help already craving to drive that beast, many thanks!

Last edited by SirPucci; 07-06-24 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-08-24, 02:23 AM
Nevada
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SirPucci
(dash would say depress the pedal and push to start and of course we did that)
Switch the ignition "off", then press unlock on the Smart Key, this will disarm the alarm and should restore ignition/Smart Key operation.

The common reason for the battery to discharge while driving is a failing alternator.

Old 07-08-24, 06:25 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Most likely culprit is a bad alternator, and (after a deep discharge from the bad alternator) possibly bad battery too. You've got all the classic symptoms.
Old 07-08-24, 04:12 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

i also think the alternator went toast! replace it and make sure you have a good battery.
Old 07-08-24, 05:16 PM
SirPucci
5th Gear

yup mechanic said the same too!
Old 07-08-24, 05:19 PM
SirPucci
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Nevada
Switch the ignition "off", then press unlock on the Smart Key, this will disarm the alarm and should restore ignition/Smart Key operation.

The common reason for the battery to discharge while driving is a failing alternator.
ignition is already off, however when pressing anything the smart key just doesnt work we can bypass the alarm when boosting the battery with the manual key but despite that, the car just refuses to recognize the key for some odd reason
Old 07-08-24, 05:22 PM
SirPucci
5th Gear

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i also think the alternator went toast! replace it and make sure you have a good battery.
yupp, do you think it would be wise to replace the battery? dont know much about cars but seems like the battery is toast thanks
Old 07-10-24, 01:30 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Being specific about boost box, are you saying it's 24 volts system or was it a 12V system?

As for the key fob, you may need to repair immobilizer ECU with engine ECU. There are several videos of this. You need a jumper wire for the OBD port and a battery charger to keep the system voltage >12V for 30 minutes.

Cause of disconnect - as the system voltage plummets from failed alternator, computers on the CAN bus send bad packets of info and the end result is the immobilizer goes into protection mode and this can be the result. You are not the first to report this and likely won't be the last.

Let me know if you can't find the video or a thread here detailing the steps. I'm sure it's on one of my posts somewhere. Do a search with the content below and see what comes up.

#2IS Electrical troubleshooting immobilizer
The following users liked this post:
SirPucci (07-21-24)
Old 07-21-24, 04:02 AM
SirPucci
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Being specific about boost box, are you saying it's 24 volts system or was it a 12V system?

As for the key fob, you may need to repair immobilizer ECU with engine ECU. There are several videos of this. You need a jumper wire for the OBD port and a battery charger to keep the system voltage >12V for 30 minutes.

Cause of disconnect - as the system voltage plummets from failed alternator, computers on the CAN bus send bad packets of info and the end result is the immobilizer goes into protection mode and this can be the result. You are not the first to report this and likely won't be the last.

Let me know if you can't find the video or a thread here detailing the steps. I'm sure it's on one of my posts somewhere. Do a search with the content below and see what comes up.

#2IS Electrical troubleshooting immobilizer
hi I couldn’t seems to find any sort of video would be a massive help if you could link me one thanks! As for the boost box, not sure it was a mechanic of mine that was using it, also the car will not go in accessory mode when you try and push the button

Last edited by SirPucci; 07-21-24 at 04:32 AM.