NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Pressing lock button on tailgate just beeps

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-24, 02:39 PM
skizzle1111
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressing lock button on tailgate just beeps

Hey everyone. I've had my NX450h+ for just over a week and I have a question about closing the rear tailgate. When I try to close it by pressing the close and lock button on the tailgate, it does one beep, then a pause, then two quick beeps and doesn't close. I know once you press either button you need to move out of the way, which I do, but it still won't close. However, if I just press the regular close button on the tailgate, it has no issue closing right away. Anyone know what might be going on?
Old 07-08-24, 02:47 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 589 Likes on 394 Posts

Old 07-08-24, 02:54 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by skizzle1111
Hey everyone. I've had my NX450h+ for just over a week and I have a question about closing the rear tailgate. When I try to close it by pressing the close and lock button on the tailgate, it does one beep, then a pause, then two quick beeps and doesn't close. I know once you press either button you need to move out of the way, which I do, but it still won't close. However, if I just press the regular close button on the tailgate, it has no issue closing right away. Anyone know what might be going on?
That stumped me for some time. I found that I had to step away and to the side, only then would it close and lock.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsmith:
Doug007 (07-16-24), SdeGat (07-15-24)
Old 07-08-24, 03:48 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Same here. We own the same NX.
Old 07-08-24, 04:09 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 555 Likes on 391 Posts

Yes, there is a difference in operation for the two buttons. The close button simply requires you not interfere with the moving door, the close & lock requires that you vacate the area and stay well back until it has completely closed and locked,

After pressing the button (and make sure keys are in pocket, not in your hand as that's too close), Run Forest Run!

I actually asked my dealer to inspect on my first service because I would keep getting alerts on my phone telling me the trunk was open. I'd go check it and it was 98% closed just resting. I finally came to realize that once I was back far enough for the door to start moving, if I happen to take a step closer before it was 100% closed and locked, it would stop at the 98% close position and freeze there. Once I discovered the proper procedure, never had a problem since.
Old 07-08-24, 05:10 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a big PITA for this car. Having to go to a different zip code to get the rear hatch to close and lock is just too much.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tom558:
Droid13 (07-08-24), NX350Turbo (07-10-24), SdeGat (07-15-24)
Old 07-09-24, 04:59 AM
skizzle1111
6th Gear

So after playing with it a bit, it seems I was pressing the close and lock button and moving away almost too fast. Now I press the button, it'll beep once, I stay there for another second, it'll beep again, then I start to move away and it'll do the rest it's supposed to.
Old 07-09-24, 08:30 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

So after playing with it a bit, it seems I was pressing the close and lock button and moving away almost too fast. Now I press the button, it'll beep once, I stay there for another second, it'll beep again, then I start to move away and it'll do the rest it's supposed to.
You got it!

Yes, it is more art than science...
Old 07-09-24, 05:59 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Heck with it... I'm leaving it open/up.. 😁
The following users liked this post:
skizzle1111 (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24, 07:46 AM
skizzle1111
6th Gear

I have to back into my garage and I think being close to the back wall may also confuse the sensors and prevent it from closing and locking. It's still weird to me that the other button to only close the tailgate works instantly anywhere no matter what's in the area, while the close and lock button seems almost overly cautious.
Old 07-10-24, 07:09 PM
NX350Turbo
5th Gear

I have to back into my garage and I think being close to the back wall may also confuse the sensors and prevent it from closing and locking. It's still weird to me that the other button to only close the tailgate works instantly anywhere no matter what's in the area, while the close and lock button seems almost overly cautious.
My 2022 NX350 close-and-lock button is completely wonky.

I also park in a very tight, 1-car garage. At best, I can get about 8 inches of clearance for the rear tailgate. And the rear quarter panel is only 3-4 inches from the wall on the passenger side. I get my stuff out, set it down on the driver's side of the car, press the close-and-lock for exactly 1 second, then immediately step to the driver's side. A good 90% of the time, it magically closes and locks.

What doesn't make sense when I employ the same procedure in a wide-open parking lot, with absolutely nothing / no one behind me. Then, it does what it wants. Might close-and-lock, but rarely on the first attempt. Usually just beeps. Wide open spaces, the thing won't work, and I don't want to look like an idiot. So, eventually I give up and close it with the keyfob.

Tight garage with uncomfortably close walls, the button almost always works. Wide open spaces behind me, the button rarely ever works. Makes no sense to me. At. All.

Old 07-10-24, 10:32 PM
clmk
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine works for me every time, all the time.
If you think about the intention of how its supposed to be used, you'll nail it.
It's designed to close and lock when you have your hands full with stuff you just took from the rear.
So, open the tailgate.
Make sure you have keys in your pocket or on you where it can sense the fob. It needs to know you're close to the rear of the car. Then it needs to know you've moved away from that area.
Standing at the rear with the tailgate open and the fob on you:
Locate the stuff you want to take.
Press the close and lock button. You'll get a confirmation beep that it's ready to go.
Pick up the things you want to take.
Walk away from the car and keep walking away, do not come back near the rear or the car.
When it senses you've walked away from the car it'll beep, drop the tailgate, then lock the car.

Bar maybe one or two times I've taken too long to move away from the car, it works reliably every single time.

Last edited by clmk; 07-10-24 at 10:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by clmk:
romer (07-15-24), SdeGat (07-22-24)
Old 07-15-24, 07:01 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by clmk
Mine works for me every time, all the time.
If you think about the intention of how its supposed to be used, you'll nail it.
It's designed to close and lock when you have your hands full with stuff you just took from the rear.
So, open the tailgate.
Make sure you have keys in your pocket or on you where it can sense the fob. It needs to know you're close to the rear of the car. Then it needs to know you've moved away from that area.
Standing at the rear with the tailgate open and the fob on you:
Locate the stuff you want to take.
Press the close and lock button. You'll get a confirmation beep that it's ready to go.
Pick up the things you want to take.
Walk away from the car and keep walking away, do not come back near the rear or the car.
When it senses you've walked away from the car it'll beep, drop the tailgate, then lock the car.

Bar maybe one or two times I've taken too long to move away from the car, it works reliably every single time.
Thanks for the explanation. This works for us,
The following users liked this post:
Dkaplan (07-17-24)
Old 07-15-24, 08:26 AM
SdeGat
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom558
This is a big PITA for this car. Having to go to a different zip code to get the rear hatch to close and lock is just too much.
I agree; it is too finicky.
If you need to « follow a specific process » to make it work, that’s not good.